concussion

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
jules21

concussion

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm

say you fell off and hit your head. you didn't lose consciousness but maybe had some mild headaches, tiredness a few days afterwards.

about a week later, you're feeling OK. you've got a new helmet that's in one piece. should you ride? I think so. what do you think?

Mububban

Re: concussion

Postby Mububban » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm

jules21 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm
say you fell off and hit your head. you didn't lose consciousness but maybe had some mild headaches, tiredness a few days afterwards.

about a week later, you're feeling OK. you've got a new helmet that's in one piece. should you ride? I think so. what do you think?
From braininjuryaustralia.org.au :
Once the diagnosis of concussion has been made immediate management is physical and cognitive rest.
This may include time off school or work and rest from all cognitive activity.

The majority of concussive symptoms should resolve in 7-10 days.

After a minimum of 24 hours without any symptoms, the patient can commence a return to cognitive and physical activity. The activity phase should proceed as outlined below with a minimum of 24 hours spent at each level. The activity should only be upgraded if there has been no recurrence of symptoms during that time. If there is a recurrence of symptoms, there should be a ‘step down’ to
the previous level for at least 24 hours (after symptoms have resolved)

. The steps in the activity phase are:
> begin with light aerobic activity
> basic sport-specific drills which are non-contact and with no head impact
> more complex sport-specific drills without contact. May add resistance training.
> full contact practice following medical review
> normal competitive sporting activity.

https://www.braininjuryaustralia.org.au ... nt2016.pdf
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Be guided by your doctor

My concussion was a bit more spectacular than yours, lost consciousness for less that 30 seconds, no memory of the 2 hours before or 2 hours afterwards including bunch ride (according to others I was behaving normally). I did 100km ride, 50 before, 50 after the crash, which I know I rode due to GPS.

For me, the rest of that week, not doing anything, I was really tired and suffering mild headaches.
Next week, back at work, light activity, short commutes to station.
Then I eased back into training

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:10 pm

thanks guys. good info, which I took into account. I have recommenced training with no recurrence of symptoms, which were mild anyway. I got lucky I think, you never know for sure what will come out of these things but so far, so good.

JezeVete

Postby JezeVete » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 am

Hi there, I know this is an old post but I just wanna hop in here and share an experience. I have a friend who had a mild concussion after a bike race. He was okay for a week but he got seizures after that week and his ear bleeds a little. Im a bit worried for him. Hopefull it's not a severe brain injury though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 am

JezeVete wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 am
Hi there, I know this is an old post but I just wanna hop in here and share an experience. I have a friend who had a mild concussion after a bike race. He was okay for a week but he got seizures after that week and his ear bleeds a little. Im a bit worried for him. Hopefully it's not a severe brain injury though.

Ear bleeds? Hope is not a strategy. Go to Emergency at the nearest hospital or call an ambulance. IMMEDIATELY.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 am

JezeVete wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:20 am
Hi there, I know this is an old post but I just wanna hop in here and share an experience. I have a friend who had a mild concussion after a bike race. He was okay for a week but he got seizures after that week and his ear bleeds a little. Im a bit worried for him. Hopefull it's not a severe brain injury though.
Drop everything and get the unwell person to hospital immediately, especially with the bleeding and seizures! :!: :!: :!:

The folks who were running the race would also have given some advice on watching for symptoms of concussion as well and among this advice would have been "go to hospital" if symptoms are present. Advice on concussion is something that is given to Comms running races, I've seen the emails sent out about it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:27 am

Is that a genuine post?
Would anyone not seek medical advice rather than join and post on a non-medical forum given those symptoms?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:34 am

warthog1 wrote:Is that a genuine post?
It reads like one of those chatbot thingos.
I've noticed a few artificial sounding single posts here recently.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:42 am

Chatbots have become difficult to distinguish from genuine first posts. It usually becomes apparent from their subsequent posts
Anything you can do, I can do slower

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:39 am

Tim wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:34 am
warthog1 wrote:Is that a genuine post?
It reads like one of those chatbot thingos.
I've noticed a few artificial sounding single posts here recently.
I am an IT dunce.
Just seemed a weird course of action and yeah, first post.

Another bloody thing making it harder for forums :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:42 am
Chatbots have become difficult to distinguish from genuine first posts. It usually becomes apparent from their subsequent posts
This one seems a bit different from the usual ones, bit more believable than normal.