Canning Contour Channel

Aushiker

Canning Contour Channel

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 29, 2023 1:04 pm

Canning Contour Channel. I am familiar with the short trail along the channel at Kelmscott (see https://trailswa.com.au/trails/trail/co ... annel-walk), but was curious as to whether anyone has ridden (MTB) or even walked the full 16 km of the trail?

Source: RoleyBushCare

HappyHumber

Re: Canning Contour Channel

Postby HappyHumber » Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm

Good to see you're still out there, Andrew. Hadn't heard from you for some time in the various local fora.

This is closer to my neck of the woods, and I'd be up for some short exploratory expeditions.

Had to do a bit more poking around to understand your linked map graphic and just realised it was sourced here: www.roleybushcare.com.au/information/bush-trails/263-canning-contour-channel
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 31, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi Kym.Pleased to hear from you and your interest.

Happy to do a shorter exploratory ride if you wish. I am tied up for the next week (exam next week) but after that happy to arrange something. During the week work for you or weekends only?

I have had a go at roughing out a GPS track relying on Google Satelite and other sources. You can find it at https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43065381 ... vlWgC3xrho.

I suggest starting at the northern end as that means a 'downhill' ride back. Maybe to Contour Road if you do not want to do the full track.

owly

Postby owly » Wed May 31, 2023 7:59 pm

If its in the hills I've done it on the gravel bike!

The sections either side of Turner Road are mostly clear/empty to ride in aside from the odd tree debris. You can also ride along the channel edge [track] much of the way. Nice views out west over the plain.
The section running east from just off Canning Mills Rd is rideable [mostly along the side/up] for a short distance, then it takes a drop-off into the overgrowth/sticks.

A few weeks back I checked out the sections heading up the hill -on the right- toward Canning Dam. Lots of overgrown bushy trees/shrubs all along. You might hit a clear break somewhere along there, but not worth it, pushing through the scrub rest of the way.
Sections lower down near the river; various no-go signs posted.

If down that way around the Dam, there's a cool route you can do once you've climbed up and out of the Dam road. Around the back there's a track that winds up the hill -heading back north- then spits you out near the top of the golf course. From there you can do a run downhill [or through the golf course ;) ] into an old abandoned monster-house site with an old tennis court with views; track then runs further downhill and spits you out near the river/creek/rocks.
MUFC :twisted: