Cairns to Melbourne for Charity

pedaling4purpose

Cairns to Melbourne for Charity

Postby pedaling4purpose » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:04 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm taking part in a solo bike ride from Cairns to Melbourne next March/April over the course of 4 weeks for charity.
I'm still in planning stage, but would really like to hear any tips or suggested routes/roads. I want to hug the coast as much as possible, but I'm still tossing up whether to go inland from Sydney to Melbourne to cross the Australia Alps or continue to be as close to the coast as possible.
I appreciate your help.

Stevles

Re: Cairns to Melbourne for Charity

Postby Stevles » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:53 pm

Howdy!
First off, very novel (and awe inspiring) thing to do!
As long as you hit towns along the way where you can replenish everything you need to (water and food most of all) I would say go whichever way you feel most comfortable with.

I don’t know your fitness levels, so can’t really speak to that, but I do know that travelling from Cairns to a Melbourne is an epic journey (have done it myself) and I was most comfortable along the cost. The idea of inland concerned me, particularly as the quality of road is much worse so coastal it was for me.

You do you though, just account for the accountable as much as you can and more towns = safer!

Do you happen to have a fundraising page or something? It’s inspiring to me and I’d like to do my bit if I could

Cheers!
Steve