First hybrid bike - what to buy

Bikeman33

First hybrid bike - what to buy

Postby Bikeman33 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Bike man 33 here and looking to buy a hybrid bike for less than 750$ and looking for recommendations.

Thoughts on silverback, Merida, polygon or Marin bikes?

Also is there a big difference between machanical disc and hydraulic disc brakes?

Purposes of the bike will be riding around bike paths across Sydney with the odd gravel tracks so would like 700x40 tyres

https://www.99bikes.com.au/silverback-2 ... additional

https://www.99bikes.com.au/pedal-hawk-h ... additional

https://www.99bikes.com.au/merida-22-cr ... additional

Or the polygon path 2/3 annd the heist are my options.

Tips will be early appreciated

bychosis

Re: First hybrid bike - what to buy

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:22 pm

Suspension in this bracket just tends to add weight and any other service failure point. You don’t really need it.

Hydraulic brakes are definitely worth getting IMO. Mechanical disc brakes are OK, but not a patch on hydraulic.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:45 pm

"... hybrid bike..."

I don't know the ones you referenced and have not looked them up but a "hybrid"?

15 years ago at the tender age of 55 after decades of cross country / trail running my knees were giving up so I thought "bike" that looks easy! Knew nothing bike and knew no-one who did bike or knew bike so I was conned into a (fortunately) cheap "hybrid" thinking it would suit either road or mtb depending on which I most liked. It of course was good for neither but I still started racking up 100km rides (mostly road, bit of fire trail but gearing was too high for real trails)

After a couple of years I eventually got a touring bike which was much better suited to road, gravel and even bit of audax, got a couple of new ones (steel , Ti) since but still have the first tourer (Al, nothing wrong with Al) and could be happy with just that if needed, although my Lynskey is better for audax.

If I was looking again I would lean to a gravel type most of which are very close to my touring bikes geometry and good for a wide range of surfaces / uses

Mechanical discs may be cheaper and also nothing wrong with them, to get under $750 you will have to compromise but try to not close off options, with a good base bike you can upgrade stuff later

good luck
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:57 pm

Of the options you listed the Polygon Path 3 would be my choice. Rigid fork, 40c tyres standard. 9sp and Shimano brakes.

Also consider the Giant Cross City Disc 2, it looks like it's on sale around $750, good warranty and dealer network.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:10 pm

Bikeman33 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:30 pm
Hi everyone,

Bike man 33 here and looking to buy a hybrid bike for less than 750$ and looking for recommendations.

Thoughts on silverback, Merida, polygon or Marin bikes?

Also is there a big difference between machanical disc and hydraulic disc brakes?

Purposes of the bike will be riding around bike paths across Sydney with the odd gravel tracks so would like 700x40 tyres

https://www.99bikes.com.au/silverback-2 ... additional

https://www.99bikes.com.au/pedal-hawk-h ... additional

https://www.99bikes.com.au/merida-22-cr ... additional

Or the polygon path 2/3 annd the heist are my options.

Tips will be early appreciated
You don't mention what type of riding you are planning to do, and maybe it doesn't make a difference ?

I generally ride for fitness around the suburbs on shared paths and roads, with some short sections of gravel and a (mostly) dry creek bad which is a bit rocky. I previously had entry level MTB with 100mm coil shocks, and it did the job but was written off in an accident. I personally like the front shocks because I am not a speed demon, or doing long distances like a typical roadie, so the extra weight isn't much of an issue. I find that the suspension is useful for damping out the shocks when dropping off curbs etc, or going through the rocky sections.

I found that the mechanical/cable discs were OK, but could be sensitive to pads. My Norco hardtail MTB had Tektro discs and in the beginning they had two settings - OFF or ON, and ON meant locked wheels. It was very difficult to modulate the brakes and usually I locked the wheels, even just rolling to a slow stop - they were shocking. I changed the pads to the basic Shimano resin pads and it improved a lot - still not great, but much better.

About 2 years ago I bought a Giant Roam 1 Disc (Giant calls the Roams "Adventure" bikes, not hybrids). I am very happy with it but it is one of the higher spec Roams with 2x10 spd Deore, Shimano hydraulic discs and air shocks (as opposed to mechanical coil springs) up front, and costs around $1300-1400. I have tried doing my regular ride with the front shocks locked out (ie. rigid) and able to compress and find the ride much more comfortable with the shocks damping out the bumps. Having said that, the 63mm air shock is a bit different to a 63mm coil spring, and reports suggest that the 63mm coil spring found on most lower spec hybrid bikes doesn't offer the same level of damping as an air shock would. YMMV.

The Shimano MT-200 hydraulic discs are fantastic brakes. They modulate really well, and can stop you in a hurry when needed. I have no experience of other hydraulic brakes.

On to the bikes, I tend to agree that the Polygon Path 3 looks attractive for the 9x3 and the "proper" Shimano MT-200 hydraulic discs (same as my Roam). The gearing range of the 3x9 will give you a solid speed range from walking pace to around 55km/h at a cadence of 90rpm.

The Giant Cross City 3 is a similar price to the Path 3 (a bit cheaper) but only offers 7x3 and Tektro mechanical discs. The 7 speed cassette looks like it is probably a freewheel rather than a cassette which limits options for upgrade, and the smallest gear is 14T, which limits road speed somewhat. The Path 3 appears to be better value.

The Merida you linked above looks promising if you want shocks, but it might be worth checking the specs. The wording indicates that Shimano hydraulic discs are included, but when you click on the specs it says Tektro hydraulic discs ?? It obviously has the advantage that (assuming stock is available) there are plenty of 99Bikes around to try it out for size.

However, the BUT is that the Polygon bikes are online only so a proper try-out for fit is not possible AFAIK.

It might worth noting that if you are in Brisbane and join (free) Cycling Brisbane, they have discounts (up to 20% in some cases) with 99Bikes and Giant (I think Giant is 10%). Good luck.

Bikeman33

Postby Bikeman33 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:45 pm

Is there a big difference between polygon path 2 and 3

2021 Path 2 2021 Path 3
Frame AL6 Urban Pavement Frame AL6 Urban Pavement Frame
Fork Alutech Rigid Fork Alutech Rigid Fork
Drivetrain Shimano Altus Shimano Acera
Speed 24 Speed 27 Speed
Brakes Tektro MD-M280 Mechanical Disc Brakes Shimano MT201 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Chain KMC Z8 KMC X9
Price From $599 From $699

Particularly the brake system.

There is a current sale for polygon 2 for 490 versus the path 3 for 700 which one should I get?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:25 am

The frame and fork are the same for both models, the difference is in the bits hanging off them.

Acera vs Altus drivetrain: subtle differences in materials and manufacturing. Acera has the advantage of a 9-sp. cassette vs Altus' 8-sp. This can swing two ways - you can get a wider spread of gears, the extra being a lower climbing gear with the other eight being the same, or you can get the same overall range, but the additional sprocket can enable some mid-range shuffling to tighten the steps between gears. Either way, as long as the number of gears matches, you're not stuck to a particular cassette size; there are numerous options available to suit how and where you will ride.

Hydro brakes are a big plus over cables every day unless the hydros are SRAM (which they're not on your your shortlist). I can explain more later if you want, but as a broad rule, hydro kicks arse over cable and if the option is there, go hydro!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:04 am

The Path 2 is currently showing as only $100 less than the 3 on the Bikes online website for me. Even with a $200 difference, I would go for the 3 because of the hydraulic brakes and extra gear.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:12 pm

blizzard wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:04 am
The Path 2 is currently showing as only $100 less than the 3 on the Bikes online website for me. Even with a $200 difference, I would go for the 3 because of the hydraulic brakes and extra gear.
If you are going to go disc brakes, hydraulic is the way to go.

Bikeman33

Postby Bikeman33 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:18 am

So I’ve decided either polygon heist or polygon path.

I’ll be doing cycling tracks around Sydney but not sure which one is better help pls! Won’t be doing any road riding but more so around fitness and leisure along the tracks. Trekking bike per say

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/2023-pol ... gJMzPD_BwE

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/2023-pol ... -city-bike

Bikeman33

Postby Bikeman33 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:19 am

So I’ve decided either polygon heist or polygon path.

I’ll be doing cycling tracks around Sydney but not sure which one is better help pls! Won’t be doing any road riding but more so around fitness and leisure along the tracks. Trekking bike per say

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/2023-pol ... gJMzPD_BwE

https://www.bikesonline.com.au/2023-pol ... -city-bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:29 am

I’d probably go with the Path. 3x9 drivetrain and no extra weight from suspension forks.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.