Is 40 k per day bad for me ?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Blr243

Is 40 k per day bad for me ?

Postby Blr243 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:22 pm

Hi all new member. Previously I’m a construction worker who never excercised. I’m 54 non smoker. Had a stent fitted to my heart. Decided to learn about heart health. Advised to do min 150 minutes of excrcise each week to raise my heart rate. At first I hated it and I struggled and made excuses not to do it but I got fitter and stronger quick and I started to enjoy it. Was doin 3 separate 30 min sessions per day but now I’m doin 4 sessions per day. So 4 / ten k rides and I don’t want to stop. From a heart , fitness and lung s point of view it’s a piece of cake My legs are often sore but I don’t care Is there anything bad or potentially dangerous at my age I don’t have sore ligaments or joints or anything like that it’s just tired muscles …. I don’t want to slow down. And I must admit it’s kind of fun goin off at some car drivers occasionally

Mozziediver

Re: Is 40 k per day bad for me ?

Postby Mozziediver » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:21 am

I can't really comment on the 40k/ day, as I have zero expertise in exercise physio or medical training.
The observation I'd make is that cycling is mostly legs and tummy, and low impact.

If you can, you should consider some supplementary exercises for the upper body like weights or kettle bells (swimming is good, but also low impact) , and something like walking or jogging for impact.
A book I found useful (and a bit irritating) on health and cycling, is Grant Petersen's Just Ride.
Moz
------------
Surly LHT 2013, '74 Raleigh 20 folder updated, Focus Aventura2 ebike.

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:45 pm

I think it is really difficult to say, as it depends on how hard you go, etc. But steady state cycling of 10km 4 times a day should be too stressful.

Best of luck with the journey of improving fitness.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:53 am

A heart rate monitor could be useful, just a simple tool to understand yourself and keep yourself in check. Watch based (optical) versions are not ideal but acceptable if already handy. Otherwise a chest strap version and a basic bike computer that allows an ANT+ connection and real time display (plus saves your ride data).

Not suggesting putting too much focus on this, rather it is a nice guide.

Obviously your professional medical advice is on top position… though training your body slowly and increasing your capacity is very normal and positive.
Cycling is in my BNA

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:10 am

No - unless every 30 minute session is an all out effort

Background, I have two stents after a myocardial infarction (aka heart attack) age 49. Used cycling to lose weight, get fit, get competitive and start racing.

For a few years, I was averaging more that 40k a day riding while working full time. GP and the cardiologist I have seen, very happy with the results (including stress tests)

Now 62, recently retired, working to get to back to that volume, it fell to half that, after a couple of other health issues including osteoporosis (can't ride with broken bones). Now weight lifting, which makes managing fatigue challenging.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:19 pm

If you are having sore muscles most of the time or your performance is struggling (lower speed for no reason, same speed/power but higher perceived effort, can not get heart rate up, etc) you need to manage your (system/body) fatigue.

Current training theory/practice is you go hard two to three days a week, by this you can smash your 30 minute session, recover for 15 to 30 minutes then repeat, after a few times of doing this add a third smash session, then a fourth.

Two days a week should be rest days, the most you should do is two 30 minute sessions at a very easy pace.

The other two to three days, should be lower intensity, higher volume. So instead of four 30 minute sessions, maybe two one hour sessions, building up to two two hour sessions or even a single four hour session. Were you ride at a constant pace/effort which is challenging to hold for the whole ride, you should be able to hold a conversation, but anybody your are talking to will know you are working.

Then every fourth week, ease back for the week, maybe only two hard days, and possibly only two smash sessions instead of three, add an extra rest day or reduce the length of your long rides.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:26 pm

From a general health perspective (and I'm only an internet expert) I'd say the only negative is if cycling is the only exercise you're doing. Cycling is notoriously easy on the bones. Adding some weight-bearing activity would be a good balance (running, lifting weights, etc).

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:48 am

Warnesy wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:45 pm
......steady state cycling of 10km 4 times a day should be too stressful.
What the...? I presume you meant the complete opposite to what you wrote. :? Try putting "not" in the appropriate spot.....

PS, OP hasn't been back since making this thread.....
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.