Commute Routes

find_bruce

Re: Chatswood to North Sydney commutes

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Sshrestha wrote:Hello,

I understand this is an old post, but hoping I would find someone to guide me a bit. I want to start cycling from Chatswood to North Sydney. But it's a tuff decision as I have never cycled to work in Australia, and I also have to convince my wife that it is safe.
Anyone I could speak to and get some advice on the route.

Hi Sshrestha, welcome outside.

[Mod Says] I have moved your post to the commute routes thread & quoted your post so you will get a notification about where it has gone.[/Mod]

Depending on whereabouts in Chatswood you are, you can join the bike path at either Burra Road or Smith Road, you can then follow the Epping Road cycleway to Cammeray. From there you need to ride along West St to North Sydney, as per this google map

You need to be a bit carefu; crossing Brook St, but at commuting times traffic is usually fairly slow
Anything you can do, I can do slower

markinsydney2017

Re: Commute Routes

Postby markinsydney2017 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Hi, with the new Metro line from Tallawong I am looking to do a bit of a Bike-Train-Bike run into North Sydney daily. Today I did Home to Tallawong (3.5km), Train to North Ryde, then North Ryde to NSD....total about 12.5km riding.
I'd prefer to get up to about 20km (my old commute from pennant Hills road to NSD was about that).

Question is - if I get off at Epping station instead of North Ryde - how useable are the roads from Epping to the start of the cycle path at Wicks road? Do people just use the road between end of path and Epping station? Anything to look out for/tips?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm

markinsydney2017 wrote:Hi, with the new Metro line from Tallawong I am looking to do a bit of a Bike-Train-Bike run into North Sydney daily. Today I did Home to Tallawong (3.5km), Train to North Ryde, then North Ryde to NSD....total about 12.5km riding.
I'd prefer to get up to about 20km (my old commute from pennant Hills road to NSD was about that).

Question is - if I get off at Epping station instead of North Ryde - how useable are the roads from Epping to the start of the cycle path at Wicks road? Do people just use the road between end of path and Epping station? Anything to look out for/tips?
From Epping Station it's pretty easy. The Epping Rd Bike path now goes all the way to Macquarie University at Herring Rd. Typical access from Epping Station is Pembroke St down to Epping Rd, cross at the lights, down Pembroke St, onto the bike path and onto Pembroke Rd, riding up the hill past CSIRO, crossing over Vimiera Rd and continuing to the top on Pembroke Rd before turning right into Agincourt Rd. Stay on Agincourt Rd all the way until Herring Rd, turn left and ride up to the roundabout at Kent Rd, turn right into Kent Rd. At ELS Hall Park there is now a shared path that runs pretty much straight through to the Epping Rd bike path, or you can use the Shrimptons Creek Path which is about 200m further down Kent Rd (the two paths actually join near Epping Rd). The path actually starts at the top of the hill at Herring Rd. It used to start at Wicks Rd but has been extended over the last few years.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

markinsydney2017

Postby markinsydney2017 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 am

Thanks for that - I'll give it a shot.

anthom03

Postby anthom03 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:39 am

New to cycling and looking to do Epping to Chatswood. Would like to stay on bike paths as much as possible.

Anyone have a good mapped out section somewhere? Think I can get to Epping boys on path / via Pembroke but not sure from there.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:58 am

anthom03 wrote:New to cycling and looking to do Epping to Chatswood. Would like to stay on bike paths as much as possible.

Anyone have a good mapped out section somewhere? Think I can get to Epping boys on path / via Pembroke but not sure from there.
It's pretty much bike path or backstreets all the way from Epping to Chatswood. From Epping, as above,use Pemboke to get all the way up past Epping Boys High School. Keeping riding up the hill to Agincourt Rd, turn right which takes you to Balaclava. Continue across Balaclava, past Curzon Hall, down the hill to Herring Rd, turn left. At the roundabout (Kent Rd), turn right. On your left you will see ELS Hall Park. There is now a shared path that tkaes you through the park to Epping Rd and the Bike Path. FOllow the path all the way to Lane Cove Cross under the highway onto the Gore Hill Path, and when you get to the Artarmon reserve, turn left and wind up through the back streets to Chatswood.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

anthom03

Postby anthom03 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:49 pm

queequeg wrote:
anthom03 wrote:New to cycling and looking to do Epping to Chatswood. Would like to stay on bike paths as much as possible.

It's pretty much bike path or backstreets all the way from Epping to Chatswood. From Epping, as above,use Pemboke to get all the way up past Epping Boys High School. Keeping riding up the hill to Agincourt Rd, turn right which takes you to Balaclava. Continue across Balaclava, past Curzon Hall, down the hill to Herring Rd, turn left. At the roundabout (Kent Rd), turn right. On your left you will see ELS Hall Park. There is now a shared path that tkaes you through the park to Epping Rd and the Bike Path. FOllow the path all the way to Lane Cove Cross under the highway onto the Gore Hill Path, and when you get to the Artarmon reserve, turn left and wind up through the back streets to Chatswood.

I was thinking of going up to Epping boys then turning left and following vimera up to Waterloo and either go through the uni to herring and then back onto Waterloo to wicks and Epping OR same way to Talavera and all the way up to Epping. Not most direct but feel like it's the most dedicated cycle way.

Then I was thinking of going footpath on Pacific Highway because office is in Pacific hwy.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:22 pm

anthom03 wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I was thinking of going up to Epping boys then turning left and following vimera up to Waterloo and either go through the uni to herring and then back onto Waterloo to wicks and Epping OR same way to Talavera and all the way up to Epping. Not most direct but feel like it's the most dedicated cycle way.

Then I was thinking of going footpath on Pacific Highway because office is in Pacific hwy.
YOu can certainly go down Vimiera Rd, then right into Waterloo, left into Culloden, right into Talavera etc. It just adds a lot of km. HOwever, if you are going down that way, why not just continue along Talavera, left into Khartoum Rd, right into Fontenoy Rd, then at Lane Cove Rd just ride the path down to the De Burgs Bridge, loop under the bridge and ride down through Lane Cove National Park, then straight up Fullers Rd to Chatswood. Have a look at one of my rides to get an idea about the Lane Cove Park to Chatswood part https://www.strava.com/activities/2544385906

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed May 12, 2021 9:21 am

Hey fellow Melburnians, just looking for some feedback on Barkers Rd - Victoria St from Camberwell thru Hawthorn to Richmond.

I've ridden it before, but not regularly and not for a while. I know the route and the lay of the land, but am keen on any feedback on traffic during current peak times. I've just started a new job and think this would be a more direct route.

Cheers!

ausFred

Postby ausFred » Wed May 12, 2021 6:41 pm

I wouldn't ride Barkers in peak hour. Solid traffic and morons trying to save time darting in and out.

It's not far from Camberwell to Richmond so I'd take the bike path up to the Eastern, past Wilsmere onto Yarra Boulevard to Walmer St, across the bridge into Richmond.

Nunacham

Postby Nunacham » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:29 am

Started commuting about a month ago, Nunawading to Yallambie.
Back roads to Mitcham on ramp of Koonung trail, Koonung to Main Yarra trail heading north, under Bullen Rd bridge, head up Banyule trail till Lower Plenty Road.
Doing 2 to 3 days a week, only about 2 kms off bike trails at either end, even though I have multiple lights, bell and 120db horn and stay off main roads, it is those sections I dislike. Had driver this morning stop at T intersection, and then start creeping froward almost at me, as I went through intersection on steep hill.