Power Analysis software - who uses what ?

MichaelB

Power Analysis software - who uses what ?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:28 am

Currently using Training Peaks to track my data and keep a view of the Form/Fitness/Fatigue.

Don't use it for anything specific like Training Programs, etc etc.

One flaw for me, is that now with the Gravel bike and the commuting 4-5 days a week, I want to have greater separation/tracking between the different ride types and some of the equipment (e.g. a bike profile).

An example of the 'lack of adaptability' with TP is that you can select a ride type, bike and shoes (??) from a set menu, but that's it. The ride types 'available' aren't really suitable, and I'd rather be able to track a wheelset use rather than shoes (i.e I have 2 different wheelsets for each bike).

Who uses what and what works/doesn't ? It may be that Strava is the way to go again .... :?

My data comes from Wahoo and would also like the ability to export the current data into it.

Cheers

Mr Purple

Re: Power Analysis software - who uses what ?

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:12 am

I use intervals.icu because it's free and seems pretty reliable.

The biggest problem I have with both this and Strava is that I only have power meters on my indoor trainer and road bikes, part of the fun of gravel is that I'm not monitoring power.

So my 'fitness' goes through the floor whenever I do a gravel ride.

Fortunately I largely disregard that metric anyway.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:32 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:12 am
I use intervals.icu because it's free and seems pretty reliable.

The biggest problem I have with both this and Strava is that I only have power meters on my indoor trainer and road bikes, part of the fun of gravel is that I'm not monitoring power.

So my 'fitness' goes through the floor whenever I do a gravel ride.

Fortunately I largely disregard that metric anyway.
I also use intervals.icu (and actually subscribe because I find it useful). I try to use it to manage my fatigue, I have learnt the hard way I need to track my fatigue from all forms of training, particularly weight lifting.

For gravel, mtb, running and weight lifting sessions, I assign an RPE to the session and then adjust the load so the intensity % matches RPE 10 = 100%, 9 = 93%, 8 = 86%, 7 = 79% ..... 2 = 44%, RPE 1 = 37%.

With gravel and MTB they are 100% to fitness and fatigue. Running and weight lifting sessions are 0% to fitness, 100% to fatigue.

Not perfect, but at least I have a value for my fatigue in addition to how I feel.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:00 pm

nickobec wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:32 am
.... I try to use it to manage my fatigue, I have learnt the hard way I need to track my fatigue
That's the key part for me.

Will have a look at it.

Thanks

Any others ?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:28 am
An example of the 'lack of adaptability' with TP is that you can select a ride type, bike and shoes (??) from a set menu, but that's it. The ride types 'available' aren't really suitable, and I'd rather be able to track a wheelset use rather than shoes (i.e I have 2 different wheelsets for each bike).
An idea that might work for you, is in TP and/or Strava is have two different"bikes profiles for different wheelsets ie bike 1 with wheelset A, bike 1 with wheelset B, bike 2 with wheelset C etc.

Will not work for me, having multiple bikes and multiple wheelsets that are swapped between them, and will often run the front wheel from one set with the rear from another.

If you use strava to track your bikes, another service you might want to consider is veloviewer. As you can list all your rides on a certain bike/s and drill down: when, ride type, distance etc even export to CSV if you want.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:19 pm

nickobec wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 pm
An idea that might work for you, is in TP and/or Strava is have two different"bikes profiles for different wheelsets ie bike 1 with wheelset A, bike 1 with wheelset B, bike 2 with wheelset C etc.

Will not work for me, having multiple bikes and multiple wheelsets that are swapped between them, and will often run the front wheel from one set with the rear from another.

If you use strava to track your bikes, another service you might want to consider is veloviewer. As you can list all your rides on a certain bike/s and drill down: when, ride type, distance etc even export to CSV if you want.
Ah yeah, good idea.

If I use Veloviewer, have to have Strava as wellx, so paying for two apps then ... :|

Same goes for Intervals.icu

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:19 pm

If I use Veloviewer, have to have Strava as wellx, so paying for two apps then ... :|

if you use intervals.icu you just need to use the free version of strava, so you are paying for 0 subscriptions/apps and get the full functionality of intervals.icu. You only need to pay for intervals.icu if you want to or you desperately need a feature added.

veloviewer you need to pay about 10GBP to get more than your most recent 25 rides, again using the free version of strava.
veloviewer FAQ wrote:1. Do I need to be a Strava Subscriber (Summit/Premium) to use VeloViewer?
99% of veloViewer is identical for both Strava Subscribers and non-Subscribers. Since mid May 2020 Strava restricted segment placings for non-Subscribers and that is also reflected in VeloViewer. For full details of difference
https://blog.veloviewer is broken/strava_subs ... fferences/

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:41 pm

nickobec wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:53 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:19 pm

if you use intervals.icu you just need to use the free version of strava, so you are paying for 0 subscriptions/apps and get the full functionality of intervals.icu. You only need to pay for intervals.icu if you want to or you desperately need a feature added.
So if you have the free version of Strava, does it still import ALL the ride data ? Will have a look again. ta

BTW, quickly tried Cycling Analytics, and whilst some of it was really good, it didn't have Bike Profiles or a Mobile app.

Whilst the latter is a really nice to have, it's not a showstopper.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:07 am

nickobec wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:01 pm

In the end after looking (and trying several options), doing as per the above suggestion from nickobec and sticking with TP.

Cheers

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:14 am

Only use the one app and that's Strava Premium. Just pull up the Analysis section and then I can cross reference power, bpm, speed, cadence and power for whatever part of the ride that I've done. Then go into the rest of the points to see how and where I was with overall summary. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km