Rovert

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby Rovert » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm

schuberj

Postby schuberj » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:06 pm

rustychisel wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:41 pm
Evening, ladies gents and aficionados, I think it's been 8 long years or so since I've posted here, but I need help and guidance from the good guys...

I am also coming out of retirement apparently.

rustychisel wrote:
Couple of things to inquire about... frame measures 57cm c-to-c on the top tube and only 50cm c-to-c on the seattube, so it's long and low. I don't suppose they made custom sizes so what do you think that's about? I once had a gaspipe Bianchi frame with similar dimensions.

The Giant built Repcos generally used the "medium" length for the top tube regardless of the size (height) of the bike. I assume it was a cost thing. If you want something with a shorter top tube you would need to look at Eurosports or Japanese built Victorys that varied the length of the top tube to make close to a "square" frame.

rustychisel wrote:
Secondly: when did the Superlite become a lower level frame? This has a seattube sticker saying ''CroMoly tubes' but not stipulating what, and there are lugs on the bottom brackets and top of seattube cluster, nowhere else. Other tubes are mitred and welded (poorly) at head tube junctions etc. Photos when I get around to it.

It depends what you call "lower level". The Superlite was introduced in 1982 and was the top of the line and only Cr-Mo framed bike in the range. By 1984 several other Japanese made models came in above it and the Superlite was relegated to the entry level "racing" bike. This is where the confusion about Superlites actually being heavy comes from, they were certainly light compared to the heavier steel framed bikes in the range when they were first introduced. All Repco models diminished in quality in the early 90s with the last of the Japanese models appearing in 1990/1991 and the Taiwanese models disappearing over the next few years. Note that mass consumer frames were generally moving to welding rather than lugs at this time anyway.

Reiko2030

Postby Reiko2030 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:41 pm

Hey All, i'm going to comment here as well, but i made a new post in case its better suited.

I just acquired what I believe is a 1989 Repco Vertex Vicenza but it's been re-painted and has completely different components then the only Repco model that it could be.

I've don't lots of research so far, but thought it good to now post and see if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the subject.

Personally, it just seems very strange that someone would but this bike new, get it re-painted and then strip and replace every single component.

I'll leave a link to a photo album to view photos easily, but for me the signs its a Vertex Vicenza are of course the 'triple triangle', the bosses, the saddle and the R logo on the stem.

What's everyone's thoughts? Is it possible this was actually built by Repco for one of their sponsored racers that i've read these bikes were built for initially?

If pics don't work, basically we're looking at a white and pink fade Vertex, zero decals with the hellenic stays (ot triple triangle) but with a full Suntour Sprint 9000 groupset instead of the Campagnolo its listed with in the catalogue. Also, from what i can see of the serial number, it doesn't match any format i've seen for Repco bikes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kMdwBUNhLKi1kJ2x8

Thanks in advance!