DIY frame mounted front rack designs?

Samuellae

DIY frame mounted front rack designs?

Postby Samuellae » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:37 pm

Hello Mechanics and DIYers,
I've got a cargo bike with threaded mounting holes on the either side of the top tube just rear of the head tube, and either side of the down tube, rear of the head tube. The vertical alignment of the two holes is slightly angled up and backwards, such that a vertical line between the two holes is approximately 15-30 degrees off vertical (top tube hole rear of the bottom tube hole). The distance between the holes is about 90mm.

I would like to build a front rack to mount in these positions, as far as I could find there isn't a factory model rack that was made to fit these holes for the model/brand of bike I have (it is an Ezee branded bike that is fairly old now).

Just wondering if anyone has any cool design ideas or examples for a Pizza rack or basket rack for this kind of side-frame mounting position? Ideally a no-weld design, using simple light materials. It's just for a back-pack up to 10kg say.

I know I could fit it with all kinds of fork and top-tube mounting front racks, but as a cargo bike it already has quite a heavy balance feel, and I would prefer to keep the front rack weight centred on the frame rather than have it shifting with the handle bars and forks as it does when you have a fork/axel mounted front rack.

Cheers, Sam

Thoglette

Re: DIY frame mounted front rack designs?

Postby Thoglette » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:19 pm

“No welds” is a severe constraint.

On option is a conventional rear rack with the stays cut off and the stumps flattened & drilled for new stays (perhaps the remnants repurposed).

Otherwise you could get some 8mm aluminium wire (from your local bonsai supply) and bend up a minimalist set of loops. The fun bit is then drilling and threading a pile of M3 or M4 holes to hold it all together (perhaps with the help of our friend DevCon or similar)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Samuellae

Postby Samuellae » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:07 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:19 pm
“No welds” is a severe constraint.

On option is a conventional rear rack with the stays cut off and the stumps flattened & drilled for new stays (perhaps the remnants repurposed).

Otherwise you could get some 8mm aluminium wire (from your local bonsai supply) and bend up a minimalist set of loops. The fun bit is then drilling and threading a pile of M3 or M4 holes to hold it all together (perhaps with the help of our friend DevCon or similar)
Thanks Thoglette~ that sounds really interesting, I hadn't thought of modifying an existing rack but that would be a great way of avoiding too many bolts and connection points by using an existing platform.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:01 am

Not all racks are solid In form
Bit of template from these folk
https://oldmanmountain.com/product/divi ... bMf0XVyQe8

Add in your stays, nuts and bolts and attachments points and away…..

Also do search on

Thule Tour Rack