SRAM AXS 1x12 - with sub parts?

familyguy

SRAM AXS 1x12 - with sub parts?

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:52 pm

A friendly Santa dropped most of a used-once-around-the-block Rival AXS setup in my lap at Christmas. Shifters, RD, discs, hydraulic calipers, battery, charger.

SRAM usually kitted these out with a 10T small cog (10-30 or 10-36), requiring the weirdo unique XD freehub setup to take it. I cant afford to get new wheels just to take an XD/XDR freehub. I don't think any disc wheels that I have could be fitted with a SRAM suitable freehub body. I also question needing a 10T small cog, even if I run a 36T or 40T single front ring, frankly.

My googlefu is a bit low at the moment, but I've been reading the few things I've found about using a Shimano 12 speed cassette, chain and a suitable 1x crank with the SRAM shifters. From what I can see it seems to yield acceptable results, perhaps a marginal performance loss at one end of the cassette compared to the other due to the slight width difference. I know Shimano 10 and 11 cassettes will talk OK to SRAM shifting, done it many times.

Has anyone done it with 12?
Last edited by familyguy on Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Re: SRAM AXS 1x12 - with sub parts?

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:08 pm

SRAM and Shimano have typically used the same sprocket spacings, so as long as shifter and derailleur match (due to differing pull ratios between brands), other parts of the system should be interchangeable. However, to upset that little cart, Shimano have quite different inner link shaping on their 12-sp. chains, which particularly affects 1x chainring compatibility; these chains will not mesh with rings not designed for them. Cassette compatibility is pretty OK, although not using matching chains can roughen the shifting a bit, especially when dropping to smaller sprockets under load.

Pretty much all hub manufacturers will have XD & XDR drivers available for their hubs; Shimano will be the obstinate exception. SRAM allowed XD/XDR drivers to be open standard, as long as other manufacturers kept within design tolerances. XD is for MTB cassettes, XDR is for road and is 1.85mm longer so alignments balance out to match HG-11 hubs.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:31 pm

Cassette, chainring and chain would be Shimano under my plans, so that's fine there. Been reading about the SRAM Flat Top chain for their 12s systems. Bigger rollers for deeper engagement on chainrings and casettes means they won't mesh and possibly skip on non-SRAM cassettes.. Now those sound like a punish.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:54 pm

There are a few threads on Weight Weenies re STAM/Shimano 12 sp interchangeability so have a search on there.

Many have done it

Lucky you !

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:40 pm

Went through a few of those, some handy info. I reckon Ducks info and some of those pretty much confirm a matched cassette, chain and chainring will make it work acceptably. Now to sell some stuff to fund some other stuff.