Road bike build help

townsy

Road bike build help

Postby townsy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:09 pm

Hello all, I'm looking for a little help. Some time ago I purchased a Basso Diamante Racing Carbon frame with the intention to learn how to install a groupset and all the rest. I recently purchased the Shimano 105 R7000 mechanical groupset to install.

So... I've just started and haven't got terribly far before getting to a point where I think I have the wrong type of front derailleur mount, I purchased a braze instead of a clamp, however, I'm not entirely sure if it's actually right or wrong.

At the location of where the front derailleur would be installed, there is a flat area that looks like it would be where the mount for a braze on would be but there are no holes for the mount to attach. So... is this flat area where some sort of braze on mount should go? Or, is it for a clamp or something else entirely? Here's an image of the spot.

Thanks for you help.

OnTrackZeD

Re: Road bike build help

Postby OnTrackZeD » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:37 am

Your frame is missing the braze on mount on the flat so you need a clamp style.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:57 am

That indent is most likely to provide clearance for the derailleur body. You need a clamp adaptor such as Shimano SM-AD91 to fit your current derailleur to the frame. Measure the outside diameter of the seat tube to ensure you get the correct size; it's available in 34.9mm or 31.8mm options, the latter with shims to step down to 28.6mm included.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:08 pm

I could be mistaken but I have a feeling you might need a hanger a bit like the one in the following link;

https://bassobikes.com/en/bike-parts/sp ... ur-support

In which case the frame will have to be drilled and rivnuts set to attach the hanger.

You could use a clamp-on derailleur but if the frame tube isn't perfectly round, as with most/a lot of seat tubes these days, then good luck finding a clamp to fit an irregular profiled tube. I don't think they make them (but I could be wrong).

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:30 pm

Maybe just ask basso bikes direct?

townsy

Postby townsy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:54 pm

Thanks all for your replies, I'd sent a message to Basso after the comment from Tim. We'll see what they reply with.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:27 am

Tim wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:08 pm
I could be mistaken but I have a feeling you might need a hanger a bit like the one in the following link;

https://bassobikes.com/en/bike-parts/sp ... ur-support

In which case the frame will have to be drilled and rivnuts set to attach the hanger.
NO!! Never, EVER do frames intended for bolt-on hangers require aftermarket drilling & nutserting to fit the FD hanger; it's always done during manufacturing.

Additionally, the hanger linked above lists very specific frame compatibility, which is not the frame the OP has!

The absence of bolt holes to mount a "braze-on"-type hanger indicate the frame is designed for a band-clamp derailleur or adaptor. Secondly the indent suggests a large 34.9mm tube OD; the fat tube requires the reduction of "fat" between the clamp and head of the derailleur body, necessitating an indent in the frame to allow full derailleur movement.

The OP just needs a 34.9mm AD91 or similar clamp adaptor to fit the existing derailleur.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 am

^^^
There you go. Lucky we have Duck on the scene.
For the OP's benefit, put your trust in Duck's advice, he is/was a pro bike mechanic.
Sorry about the bum steer.

townsy

Postby townsy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:13 am

After supplying Basso with a photo and information regarding the front derailleur, I've not heard back yet. The time of the year is likely impacting that. However, thank you so much for your expertise Duck!, and everybody else, I appreciate it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:21 pm

Very similar to the Cube I have, which has a band FD right above the big sticker that says "DO NOT CLAMP". I believe that refers to clamping in a stand, not the FD clamp, though. A clamp model should fit this application as above.

townsy

Postby townsy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:03 am

Hi all, thanks again for the assistance. I purchased a clamp for the braze on and it's all good. Basso eventually emailed me with the same advice so thank you again.

However, now I have another question... I purchased these wheels:

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels ... s/racing-6

And these tyres:

https://int.vittoria.com/products/zaffi ... 6943544637

Specifically the 700x30c.

The issue is that the tyre on the back wheel sits so high it rubs against the rear fork, and comes very close to the rear brakes and the clamp for the front derailleur. The tyres I have are 30mm and the wheels can go as low as 25mm. Am I best to get the 25mm? Will they sit lower?

The front wheel has the same tyre and, while close to the fork as well, there's enough room for it to rotate freely.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:36 am

townsy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:03 am

https://int.vittoria.com/products/zaffi ... 6943544637

Specifically the 700x30c.

The issue is that the tyre on the back wheel sits so high it rubs against the rear fork, and comes very close to the rear brakes and the clamp for the front derailleur. The tyres I have are 30mm and the wheels can go as low as 25mm. Am I best to get the 25mm? Will they sit lower?

The front wheel has the same tyre and, while close to the fork as well, there's enough room for it to rotate freely.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
You are going to have to get the 25 mm tyres.

There is not enough room in the rear of the frame for 30 mm tyres.
And even if the 30 mm tyre “just fits” at the front, it would be a dire mistake to use a “just fits” tyre in the front forks.
Because when you ride over some sticky new asphalt the little stones will stick to it and your beautifully engineered, expensive front fork will get scarred or damaged.
Or even worse a rock will get stuck between the tyre and the fork and you might get catapulted OTB (over the bars)

25 mm is the way to go.
Trying to make do with the 30’s would be a massive false-economy.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:29 am

Yep, don't even bother with the 30mm tyres in that circumstance on either end, it'll end poorly.

I trialled a 28mm tyre on my frameset that allegedly fitted 28mm tyres and they lasted all of 30km. Fortunately the frame wasn't damaged in the process.

Looking at the Fulcrum Racing 6 they don't appear to have holes in the rim bed. I'd recommend running 25 or 26mm tubeless at low pressures - that'll give you more comfort than running a 30mm with a tube anyway. Setup should be very straightforward.

townsy

Postby townsy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 am

Fantastic, thank you both, I'll get some 25mm and replace both front and rear tyres.