Huge Shimano crank recall

g-boaf

Re: Huge Shimano crank recall

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:30 pm

I saw the form, I think it read if you sign up for a service you’ll get looked at sooner.

You can find it on their site.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:30 pm
I saw the form, I think it read if you sign up for a service you’ll get looked at sooner.
Correct

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:08 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:04 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:30 pm
Correct
I'll go to another shop - On Two Wheels is quite alright.

jetglo

Postby jetglo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 am

Took my clearly faulty cranks into 99 Bikes and they have at this stage logged them as a 'repair'
The story is they have no info from Shimano on the next step.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:22 pm

For those that are interested, here are the official Shimano docs on the inspection process !

Borrowed from a WW post

https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/RAFC012

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files- ... 00-ENG.pdf

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:22 pm
For those that are interested, here are the official Shimano docs on the inspection process !

Borrowed from a WW post

https://si.shimano.com/en/dm/RAFC012

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files- ... 00-ENG.pdf
Wow. That's an excellent resource. Thanks for posting it... on behalf of everyone who isn't on WW...

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:54 pm

Just read through that documentation and guess (hope?) covered elsewhere in Shimano's briefing to bike shops maybe on a proforma inspection tick sheet?

Looking at what inspecting for must need to know the history of the crankset...I have a crankset that is of concern, model number and production code are on list but its on a bike sat on a rarely used turbo trainer which previously sat unloved and unused and I reckon done less than a 1000Km total despite being 7-8 years old... that kind of delamination/joint failure surely is use time dependent

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:06 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Wow. That's an excellent resource. Thanks for posting it... on behalf of everyone who isn't on WW...
NP - happy to share decent info, especially as it's the factory version !!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:43 pm

Second visit to the bike shop (I am overseas - approach may be different here).

First visit, the dealer didn't yet have enough info from Shimano Europe. Second visit, the dealer can inspect but need to charge me (the customer) an additional inspection / service fee. The logic (which I understand) is if they do a crank removal and replacement, they automatically have liability for the safety of the bike - and this cost is not covered in any renumeration.

It's a good shop and I understand their position - I can bring in just the cranks. The website information however does say there are no costs so there is a discrepancy here between the public information and the reality of the inspection in my case.

There is a service hotline... but no one answering so it is a bit of dead-end

Joe Lindsey of Escape Collective has an article - I think it may be a member restricted article.
https://escapecollective.com/shimanos-c ... ast-years/

This goes through the history of the issue and speculates on the approach and implications of the delayed approach of Shimano HQ in taking action.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:30 am

Given some of the GRX cranks are HollowTech (the 8xx series), why are they not part of the recall/inspection ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:37 am

Same reason the later dura ace and ultegra aren't perhaps? Hopefully sorted the manufacturing process?

This time around, when asked if Shimano had identified a common cause of the debonding failures, a spokesperson said: “The affected cranksets have certain manufacturing processes in common.

“One of the procedures involved in this process is a bonding technique, which facilitates the fusion of distinct layers within the crank arm.

“Reports received by Shimano indicate that the bonded layers on the crank arm could separate.”

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/opin ... -analysis/
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:15 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:37 am
Same reason the later dura ace and ultegra aren't perhaps? Hopefully sorted the manufacturing process?
It will be interesting to know a bit more detail re the specific issue, but much like Optus, will keep as much in house as possible to save face and prevent further questions ....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:15 am
warthog1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:37 am
It will be interesting to know a bit more detail re the specific issue, but much like Optus, will keep as much in house as possible to save face and prevent further questions ....
Yeah it just sounds like a stupid design or manufacuring process. Make them out of CF or if not doing that then in the manner they make 105 and lower.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:12 am

I had my Da-9100 power meter crankset replaced under the recall.

The new crankset is totally different and the chainrings are now called Dura Ace 11S 52-36 NH. The cranks look like DA9200 but with 11 speed chainrings.

The first shop I went to claimed nothing wrong with the cranks, the second one listened to my description of the problems and my efforts to fix it and said, we will send those off to Shimano.

I assume (and hope) Shimano will have scrapped my original cranks.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:24 am

I thought cracking and breakages are standard with all DA components?

/s

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:52 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:24 am

/s
Ultegra as well.

Just go SRAM if you want quality. /s

Seriously my bike with 12 speed SRAM AXS never makes a noise, it just runs without problems even after huge kilometres.

I was nearly ready to push Shimano to pay for a set of THM Clavicula cranks.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:52 pm

Given the Shimano PM ones aren't flash for accuracy, are they then just a heavier version of a non-PM crankset :o

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:49 pm

g-boaf wrote:
AndrewCowley wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:24 am

/s
Ultegra as well.

Just go SRAM if you want quality. /s

Seriously my bike with 12 speed SRAM AXS never makes a noise, it just runs without problems even after huge kilometres.

I have over 100,000km on the Ultegra 6800 cranks (50,000km on each bike) without problem. The cranks that have problems are around 1% of total sales. I've heard that the Sram warranty rate is a huge multiple of Shimano (some suggest around 5% return rate or higher).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:25 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:41 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Given the Shimano PM ones aren't flash for accuracy, are they then just a heavier version of a non-PM crankset :o
So this is what the new ones are like: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3774640/

They are called Shimano FC-09. They look nearly identical to the 9200 series.

Reading an article with quotes from people that had the failures and described the symptoms, mine would have failed sooner or later - they had the same noises. All the creaking noises were most likely from the crank itself. Seeing photos of the failed ones and the quotes from those who crashed, I'm feeling pretty lucky.

I haven't had a chance to take that bike out again with the new cranks. Only whinge is that they gave me 52-36 chainrings this time instead of 50-34. I've only got one hill steep enough (18%) that it might be a problem.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:25 am

I haven't had a chance to take that bike out again with the new cranks. Only whinge is that they gave me 52-36 chainrings this time instead of 50-34. I've only got one hill steep enough (18%) that it might be a problem.
Being and old school rider and now old I will be going 50/34 from 53/36. Was 53/39 for many years.
No bunch rides at high speed anymore.
Riding the gravel bike with road wheels has convinced my stubborn mind.
It is 48/32 with a 34-11 cassette.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm

I am still waiting for an inspection. To be fair, it is not urgent… cranks are on a bike I rarely ride but I did go to the bike shop with the bike (after previously go there and confirming) only to be told I need to pay additional inspection fees.

This is overseas (Germany) and I understand the shops reasoning, they say for each bike serviced, they are required to do a general inspection as part of their liability requirements… and that costs extra that they don’t get from Shimano.

However this contrasts again local and international info from Shimano that they look after dealer costs and cost of crank removal and reinstallation.

This is something they have to work out… in the meantime I have to wait…. and be patient.

When I was in Adelaide for the TDU, I spoke with Shimano Aus who indicated smooth running in Australia and that this is not an issue they have. It was hinted that a quick visual inspection that I can do will give me a good indication if there could be issues.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:41 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm
When I was in Adelaide for the TDU, I spoke with Shimano Aus who indicated smooth running in Australia and that this is not an issue they have. It was hinted that a quick visual inspection that I can do will give me a good indication if there could be issues.

Well, first shop reckoned mine were fine. Next shop later on sent the cranks off and Shimano replaced them.

You might not be able to spot the issue. I couldn’t see anything with mine.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:27 am

AUbicycles wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm
I am still waiting for an inspection. To be fair, it is not urgent… cranks are on a bike I rarely ride but I did go to the bike shop with the bike (after previously go there and confirming) only to be told I need to pay additional inspection fees.

This is overseas (Germany) and I understand the shops reasoning, they say for each bike serviced, they are required to do a general inspection as part of their liability requirements… and that costs extra that they don’t get from Shimano.

However this contrasts again local and international info from Shimano that they look after dealer costs and cost of crank removal and reinstallation.

This is something they have to work out… in the meantime I have to wait…. and be patient.

Is it worth then just taking the crankset by itself ?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:25 pm

FC-09 Dura Ace power meter version, this is what Shimano gave me. I went out in a hurry and didn't charge it or get to pair it properly with the Garmin. It measured cadence okay and the bike is quiet now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:43 am

^^^^ Was happy dance done by you? ^^^^ :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km