gripshift

zebee

gripshift

Postby zebee » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:58 pm

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. For various reasons I'm finding the Encore hard work and I want something with USS and probably a lower seat height.
I do want hub gears and while I could move the front triple and the trigger shifted Alfine 8 from the Encore something like Rohloff or Pinion has appeal. Especially as really wide range triple front rings with a guard on the biggest ring make a derailleur's life hard.

I could get edsan electronic shifter for Rohloff but pinion is gripshift only. My experience with gripshift on the Giro 20 superman bars is why I have trigger shifters now! I found the wrist movement needed (because my fingers did not have enough strength or size) was actively uncomfortable at the semi-vertical angle

Does anyone have gripshift on USS steering and can say how well (or not) it works? Or is everyone bar end shifting?

I've seen the odd trike with the gripshift installed separate to the bars so you move your hand off the USS handgrips to the shifter, has anyone done that? Seems a bit odd but probably not that slow?

skyblot

Re: gripshift

Postby skyblot » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:14 pm

The Rohloff gripshift is not "light" in action. Nor was the (one) Pinion shifter that I played with. On USS steering the twist shifters really don't work all that well in my experience. The Rohloff is best installed at the top of the bars with the cables exiting forward and curving around the brake lever. It looks messy but it does work, and you can use the stronger part of the hand to shift (thumb and fore fingers).

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:14 pm

zebee,

I have a 3 speed gripshift on the left for the DD3 hub on my Gekko trike. I sometimes drop my hand down a little so that I am using my middle two fingers and thumb. I've never had trouble changing gears with it, but I don't know how it compares to a Rohloff or Pinion shifter.

Cheers,

OB.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:55 pm

After some time using the long gripshifts on the HP Velotechnik Speedmachine...

I don't like not being able to see what gear I am in, but have got used to using them. I use my little finger and ring finger and they work OK. No idea if it would be as good with a standard size shifter but with the long HPV ones it's fine.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:59 pm

Zebee, if you're after a new bike, Vivente is now manufactured in Tassie on order and you can have one made just for you, all of the models now are 14 spd Rolhoff Hubs & Gates Belt drive.
You can have them in traditional Touring & Commuter style with 700C wheels & 45mm tyres or adventure style with 650B wheels and 50mm tyres.

Will cost you between $6500 to $7,000 depending on extras.

Noel McFarlane just done a 1,000km tour along the Murray River from Albury to Mildura to test out a new model he is working on before it's release.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:52 pm

Umm... Brumby. Check the title of this forum. Check what kind of bike an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine is.

And wonder if I would ever drop that sort of money on a wedgie!

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:43 pm

zebee wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:52 pm
Umm... Brumby. Check the title of this forum. Check what kind of bike an HP Velotechnik Speedmachine is.

And wonder if I would ever drop that sort of money on a wedgie!
ok never heard of them.....ok recumbent....sorry.....wish i could delete my post now :roll:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB