Campagnolo fading away?

g-boaf

Re: Campagnolo fading away?

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:53 am
I will say that I'm told Campy is far more common on bikes sold into Europe than it is here.
I have done some riding in Europe, especially Italy. Most Italians I ran into ran Shimano...
I agree with that as well, most of them I've come across all just had either SRAM or Shimano. Usually the mid or high level versions.

Didn't see much in the way of Campag.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:58 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:59 pm
jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:53 am
I will say that I'm told Campy is far more common on bikes sold into Europe than it is here.
I have done some riding in Europe, especially Italy. Most Italians I ran into ran Shimano...
I agree with that as well, most of them I've come across all just had either SRAM or Shimano. Usually the mid or high level versions.

Didn't see much in the way of Campag.
The funniest thing was when I went over in 2019 there was 20-odd riders in a ride I did in Italy. One had campag. He was an aussie...

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:21 pm

sobmal wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm
Had an 11speed shifter fail, can’t find a new one on any of my usual places and what I can find is crazy expensive.
Been a campy fan for a long time, but the lack of parts availability at a reasonable price looks to be signaling the end our relationship.
Looked for any 11 speed groups as a replacement, considering maybe Shimangnolo.. but nothing economical is available?
Looks that I need to go 12 speed to get anything new that’s rim brake and reasonably priced?
I just want a new shifter for my trusty olde 11 speed that I used to be able to get for a hundred bucks or so?
Managed to get a few parts for a rebuild kit for around $100.. so perhaps I can fix the shifter for now.
Bike groupo parts business is FUBAR and seems to be about engineered unavailability in the hope of getting us to junk our parts and upgrade to something 12 speed and unnecessary.
Campagnolo have a quite extensive line up of spare parts but there was a change of Australian distributor early last year so spare parts (and parts in general) have been difficult to source for quite a while as both distributors discontinue stock and the new distributor builds their stock levels.

Depending on the part (you can grab numbers from the campy spares part document) you could always try contacting the old distributors BikeSportz/FRFSports to see if they happen to still have any old stock or if their warranty department have any second hand serviceable parts available.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:49 pm

I figure the other question is whether you can get the parts online and avoid the Aus distributor. Distributors are problematic, they have little interest in stocking parts unless they will move quickly.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am

This may be part of the problem - promo e-mail from Pushys today.

https://www.pushys.com.au/campagnolo-su ... %3D.XZkeQe

$1149 for each shifter/caliper, $1249 for the FD, $1450 for the RD, $600 for the cassette, $750 for the battery, $139 for the charger, and $110 for the chain.

I added it to my cart so you don't have to. $6600 without brake discs.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:32 am

Yep, utterly ridiculous pricing.
I googled 250cc motorcycle under the shopping tab.
The Campag groupset doesn't compare well in terms of price.
Yes differences in production volumes and different products.
However the tooling and complexity in motorcycle production would seem far more complex in a motorcycle. As is the end product.

Just underlines how boutique and how stupid bicycle pricing has become imo.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:02 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:32 am
When you start making Jan Heine look reasonably priced..... :shock:
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:17 am

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:02 am
warthog1 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:32 am
When you start making Jan Heine look reasonably priced..... :shock:
Yep, many cycling related items are just getting waaaaay beyond sensible.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:17 am

The reason for cost pricing from my point of view is............The manufacturers are forever making upgrades when no upgrades are warranted, hence to volume of parts never get to a quantity where they can recoup each change that they make. :roll:

I'm still using 7600 series Shimano shifters and changers, whether Ulterga or Dura-Ace and have no intention of changing to 11sp or 12sp. :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:17 am

Fair enough on the change to the number of gears. Nice but not necessary.
I bought a gravel bike to try new routes and get away from cars. Clearance for much larger tyres so a new bike was needed.
Problem is it came with disc brakes.
They are just so much better imo, I now want a disc braked roadie too.
I hate being a victim of the industry marketing and no wish to debate different braking systems, but that is just my strong preference now having ridden them.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am

Seldom see anything Campagnolo nowadays. There can be surprising exceptions browsing.

Bigger, more successful, tech-savvy marques have overtaken it long ago. It remains ridiculously expensive where name and image counts.

Saw Campag-branded water bidons (Made in China!!) being flogged for $55 *each*! Haven't seen gruppos since Nelson lost an eye...

In my bicycle touring days, back in the 1980s and mid-1990s, Campag was a hallowed name, and you polished the components religiously.
If your touring bike was fitted with a Campag front and rear derailer — bonus points for a (often poorly matched) Campag triple front drive, you were "in the prestige class"! The most I could afford in my student poverty was a Campag RECORD seat post; it looked beautiful, and I pounced. Alas. Parked bike in Collins Street outside where I worked under a tree. Came out at 5pm and the seat post was gonski, along with my Selle San Marco embossed leather seat! Walked the bike home 4km teary-eyed and for years therafter for a long time only put cheap Shimano or SunTour components on bikes left on the street. The last touring bike was fitted with Shimano Deore LX. Nothing was pinched.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:18 pm

sobmal wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm
Had an 11speed shifter fail, can’t find a new one on any of my usual places and what I can find is crazy expensive.
Been a campy fan for a long time, but the lack of parts availability at a reasonable price looks to be signaling the end our relationship.
I didn't see this thread revival till now. But depending on what model of shifter you want, and if it is mechanical or electronic, search for 'Campagnolo 11-speed shifter body', and you will find the spare part you need. Price and location of part (and hence shipping costs) - well, YMMV.

In the olden days, small parts in Ergo levers could be replaced, but since UT came in the whole body is replaced. You (or a mechanic) have to shift over the lever blade and hoods.

EDIT: there will be plenty of sources for this, but I bought a UT Centaur 10-speed body from Cycle Clinic in the UK in 2022, and they seem to keep a reasonable amount of Campag spares. Shipping wasn't cheap, but all up the pricing was better than most other options.