Shimano RC7 and RC5 shoes. Out of stock everywhere. New model coming??

Dave_rh

Shimano RC7 and RC5 shoes. Out of stock everywhere. New model coming??

Postby Dave_rh » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:30 pm

My comfy old Northwave shoes are dying. I bought a new pair same size but it just doesn't fit my feet width :(

So, I was thinking Shimano RC702 wide fit. However these shoes, and the cheaper 502 model are sold out everywhere in Australia. The warehous has none either. Same with many overseas shops. It appears the current ones were released in Oct/Nov 2021.

Is anyone a shimano guru and know much about:
- IS this normal for shoes to be sold out most sizes in many regions?
- How often do they refresh the model?
- Does this mean that a new model is coming?

Mr Purple

Re: Shimano RC7 and RC5 shoes. Out of stock everywhere. New model coming??

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:36 pm

New model Sphyre has been out for a few months - RC903 not 902. And they’re in stock everywhere.

They change names each generation. I’d say that means the 703/503 is not far off.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:10 pm

As a former mechanic, bike components are more my thing, but Shimano's other products follow similar production cycles, running for a few years until an updated version is released, with each lower-spec model usually released a year after its superior. .

So as per the above post, with the latest version in the 900-series being released a few months ago, standard staggered release would indicate that a new 700-series (and maybe 500-series in parallel) is imminent. The lack of stock globally lends weight to to the probability that those models have ceased production to make way for an updated version, which will likely be released over the next couple of months.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Dave_rh

Postby Dave_rh » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:09 am

Did a bit of google research on previous shoe release dates. It appears that last time Shimano took over a year between launching the 9 level shoe and then the 7 ,5 level shoes :shock:
If Shimano repeat that pattern and have stopped making the 702's, They may remain out of stock for most of 2024. Wow...

History:
RC902 - release date Sep 2020 RC702 - release date Nov 2021? RC903 - announced Sep 2023 RC703 - Nov 2024 ??? :roll:

I'm familiar with how terrible Shimano are at supply of bike components. But, I was really hoping their shoe supply might be better organised. :(