Marmion Avenue safety review - tell them what you think

mjbmikeb2

Marmion Avenue safety review - tell them what you think

Postby mjbmikeb2 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:17 pm

Copied and pasted from the Stirling City Facebook feed.

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/globala ... ew-map.pdf
Feedback page https://www.mysaytransport.wa.gov.au/ma ... provements

Main Roads Western Australia is currently planning for future upgrades to Marmion Avenue between Karrinyup Road and Ocean Reef Road. This will consider opportunities for safer access at all intersections, pedestrian and cycle paths and improved access to public transport and amenities in the area.
Follow the link for more information about the project, including how you can provide comments or concerns directly to Main Roads for their consideration.
DETAILS | www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/marmion-safety-upgrades

It's been years since I cycled on Marmion avenue, and all I remember was the glass strewn stopping lane and bumpy tarmac. From memory I think some sections had a footpath alongside, but it was very much the opposite of pleasant ride. Send your feedback now and hopefully things will get better!

Mububban

Re: Marmion Avenue safety review - tell them what you think

Postby Mububban » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:37 pm

Lots of riders (myself included now) requesting at least a painted line in the lane on the section along the Hamersley golf course.
We can ask for a dedicated/improved path but doubt that'll ever happen.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jaythefordman

Postby jaythefordman » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Mububban wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:37 pm
Lots of riders (myself included now) requesting at least a painted line in the lane on the section along the Hamersley golf course.
This would be my choice. I regularly ride Marmion, and while its largely been Ok for me the addition of a 'bike lane' would be a very good start.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:39 am

I'd forgotten how long ago this was. The wheels of government sure do turn slowly.
Main Roads has now assessed the suitability of four intersections on Marmion Avenue for the installation of traffic signals at:

Flinders Avenue in Hillarys;
Seacrest Drive in Sorrento;
Freeman Way in Marmion; and
Beach Road in Watermans Bay.

Traffic signals have been selected due to improved efficiency for Marmion Avenue, and safer crossings for pedestrians and cyclists. This approach maintains continuity with the predominant traffic signal approach on this section of Marmion Avenue.

All intersections will include widening to provide additional and extended turning pockets to enhance traffic efficiencies, as well as upgraded and in some cases, new shared path facilities to improve connectivity. Street lighting will also be upgraded to align with current standards.

Personally I'm a big fan of roundabouts, putting in lights will stop traffic dead rather than letting it flow. But I'm sure someone with a far bigger brain than I has considered all factors....

https://www.mysaytransport.wa.gov.au/ma ... provements

There are PDF illustrations on the right hand side of the web page. They're adding a new north and southbound lanes to the Karrinyup Rd / Marmion intersection. That'll be fun while they do roadworks on that fairly major intersection.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!