https://www.news.com.au/technology/man- ... 24326d650c

CmdrBiggles

Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:21 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:55 pm
Looks like a frankenstein e-bike device lit up while being charged:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/man- ... 24326d650c

It is a common e-bike model as used by food delivery drivers.
Thermal runaway is more common with e-bikes and e-scooters being used in very hot weather e.g. 35-40°c; many scooters have thermal cutout that will stop the motor(s) and discharge the battery, but it's the proliferation of poor, QC-lacking e-bikes that pose a far greater danger, with exposed batteries, rudimentary electronics and too often, careless attention to charging overnight e.g in the house or garage.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:14 pm

I was doing 40km/hr at the time this guy passed me. Yes, it's a legitimate speed on this section of the bicentennial bikeway.

Too bad the varia turned off the speed overlay on an update. I reckon he was doing 70km/hr+ when he disappeared over the hill.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:38 pm

^^^ That’s just unsustainable nuts.

Is it my imagination or is the world going backwards ?

What is it going to be like in 2 years time ? 5 years time ?

I suspect that issues like this are being faced all over the world.
But in Queensland (and probably Australia as a whole) there appears to be no serious effort to reign in the excesses of the new technology.

New technology is not necessarily better technology.
Queensland (and Australia more generally) is dragging its heals on managing the big issues in 2023/4/5 etc.

Not only climate change and homelessness, but also public safety and equitable use of public space.
Motorized scooters speeding along walking/cycling paths at 70 km/hr is a fail on 2 counts.

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:16 am

Not an eDevice but this week someone's picked back up one of the (unequivocally classified as motorcycles as of the start of the year) 2-stroke bike conversions I'd stopped hearing. I've heard it at least once on the cycleway for the last three days.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:59 am

Anrai wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:16 am
Not an eDevice but this week someone's picked back up one of the (unequivocally classified as motorcycles as of the start of the year) 2-stroke bike conversions I'd stopped hearing. I've heard it at least once on the cycleway for the last three days.
that belongs in the moron motorist thread

Anrai

Postby Anrai » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:59 am
Anrai wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:16 am
that belongs in the moron motorist thread
:idea:
I wasn't sure since thematically they're more aligned with being a menace to specifically cyclo-pedestrian spaces. Don't get a lot of other motorists riding around on the ramps outside Kmart

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:27 pm

Report from SMH about e-fatbikes in Manly
And scroll down to see the video of rider hit the lady on road. Say What????
Fat bikes’ sparking fear in Sydney’s beachside suburbs
https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fat ... 5fc24.html
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:28 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:27 pm
not going to read that. that's a sensationalist headline if I've ever read one

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:01 pm

jasonc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:28 pm
Bunged Knee wrote:
But... probably sadly true if the scale-up from Newy to Sydney is working as normal. I don't get down to Newy/Merewether beach front as often these days now I'm retired but a recent visit via the Fernleigh Track bike path amazed me as to how many of these things are around, mostly ridden by teenagers going to school or the beach. Not all behaving badly (but as usual you get a fair few idiots). However, almost all of the bikes look as tho they are illegal under current NSW regs - and helmets? What are helmets? So uncool... :roll:

Given I have been stopped a fair few times over the years on the Fernleigh and required to point out my bell etc etc I reckon the Newcastle cops could get their butts out of the cop shop occasionally and raise some revenue by hitting up the beach front.

Richard

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:
I guess that a more categorically correct headline would be “silent unregistered motorcycle ninjas posing a hazard in once orderly beachside suburbs”

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:
It wanted a subscription from me so not happening anyway
Dogs are the best people :wink:

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:56 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:01 pm

But... probably sadly true if the scale-up from Newy to Sydney is working as normal. I don't get down to Newy/Merewether beach front as often these days now I'm retired but a recent visit via the Fernleigh Track bike path amazed me as to how many of these things are around, mostly ridden by teenagers going to school or the beach. Not all behaving badly (but as usual you get a fair few idiots). However, almost all of the bikes look as tho they are illegal under current NSW regs - and helmets? What are helmets? So uncool... :roll:

Given I have been stopped a fair few times over the years on the Fernleigh and required to point out my bell etc etc I reckon the Newcastle cops could get their butts out of the cop shop occasionally and raise some revenue by hitting up the beach front.

Richard
Yes, this phenomenon- underage, undisciplined, and overpowered- is exposing the impotence of current levels of Law Enforcement and the dopiness of government response planning.
(Or not planning a response, perhaps.)

In the SMH article previously linked, there are (so far) 390 public comments, most of them expressing dismay at the powerlessness of the government agencies, in multiple localities.

Apart from the real fear that kids and innocent bystanders will be hurt or killed, the comments reveal the theme that people are physically disgusted by the inaction of government

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:34 pm

Some context:

I'm not quite at the seven decades mark, been riding for most of my many adult years. I'm riding in outer north east Melbourne (so plenty of hills) on Saturday morning. My trusty steed is a recumbent trike - so not fast up hill.

On one of those climbs, on a fairly major B road (Kangaroo Ground - Panton Hill Road, to be specific), 80 kph zone: I'm grinding away at maybe 6 or 8 kph, when a flash in the mirror, a whoosh and a dude on an electric, big-wheeled scooter goes past me at vehicle traffic speed. I'm guessing something like 50 - 60 kph. No helmet.

Darwin awards candidate. :roll:
Alan
BentCyclist

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:47 pm

I had 3 boys maybe aged 8-12 on one e-scooter apex a corner I was approaching in my car, fully cutting into wrong lane on a corner with not very good visibility. I saw them and slammed my brakes on and gave them a mild "what the heck guys?" hand raise, and the e-scooter driver (?) at least gave an apology signal rather than a finger sign. Still, that wont' help you if you become a hood ornaments boys....
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm

Got another 'Uh-Oh' message through Strava from someone taking out one of my KOMs by two seconds.

In his 15km commute home he averaged 417W and 118bpm. Including large stretches of Strava estimated power of 1300W.

To his credit after I flagged it he changed it to an 'e-bike ride'. Might want to get rid of his real name on his account if he keeps riding around a 1000W+ e-MTB though. Same guy's got a bunch of KOMs with a flat line power of 1000W.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:38 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm
Got another 'Uh-Oh' message through Strava from someone taking out one of my KOMs by two seconds.

In his 15km commute home he averaged 417W and 118bpm. Including large stretches of Strava estimated power of 1300W.

To his credit after I flagged it he changed it to an 'e-bike ride'. Might want to get rid of his real name on his account if he keeps riding around a 1000W+ e-MTB though. Same guy's got a bunch of KOMs with a flat line power of 1000W.
"nice motorbike"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:38 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:01 pm

"nice motorbike"
Don’t you mean, “nice unregistered motorbike”

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 pm

Don’t you mean, “nice unregistered motorbike”
I have no problem with that description. Nothing will change till there is enforcement

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:35 pm

another one doing 25-ish

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am

https://newatlas.com/bicycles/bike-lane-sweeper/

Sweeping up glass, nails etc from bike lanes. Not crazy ... brilliant.

To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:37 pm

Well today I had to venture into Brisbane CBD (by bus) for a meeting.

A young lady riding a hire e-bike was riding down the middle of an Edward Street footpath at 1:15pm (ie. peak lunchtime pedestrian traffic) - not terribly fast, but on a very busy footpath with peds scattering to avoid getting run over - no wonder people dislike cyclists. The dedicated and separated cycle lanes on Edward street (a few metres away) were completely empty at the time.

Then while having a snack in Mary Street I see two purple (hire) e-scooters - the first moron is riding at speed on the footpath, crosses Market Street and turns around (still on the footpath at some speed) to see where his mate is :roll: - if a ped had stepped out of a building or food venue entrance onto the footpath it wouldn't have ended well. Then I see the mate riding on the wrong side of the road (in the road) towards oncoming traffic (Mary Street is 2 way and has a cycle lane on the other side of the road - ie. in their direction of travel) - talk about Darwin Award candidates :shock:

And, of course, the obligatory scattering of hire bikes and scooters across the footpaths in various locations :( Again, we wonder why people dislike cyclists and now scooter riders :oops:

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 pm

Joeblake wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:58 am

Sweeping up glass, nails etc from bike lanes. Not crazy ... brilliant.

AFTER you have ridden through the glass, tacks, nails whatever? I'm assuming solid tyres on the bike - or am I missing something here?

Richard

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:58 am

Andy01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:37 pm

A young lady riding a hire e-bike was riding down the middle of an Edward Street footpath at 1:15pm (ie. peak lunchtime pedestrian traffic) - not terribly fast, but on a very busy footpath with peds scattering to avoid getting run over - no wonder people dislike cyclists. The dedicated and separated cycle lanes on Edward street (a few metres away) were completely empty at the time.

Then while having a snack in Mary Street I see two purple (hire) e-scooters - the first moron is riding at speed on the footpath, crosses Market Street and turns around (still on the footpath at some speed) to see where his mate is :roll: - if a ped had stepped out of a building or food venue entrance onto the footpath it wouldn't have ended well. Then I see the mate riding on the wrong side of the road (in the road) towards oncoming traffic (Mary Street is 2 way and has a cycle lane on the other side of the road - ie. in their direction of travel) - talk about Darwin Award candidates :shock:

And, of course, the obligatory scattering of hire bikes and scooters across the footpaths in various locations :( Again, we wonder why people dislike cyclists and now scooter riders :oops:
Can you imagine what a circus it’s going to be in Bris in 8 years time for the 2032 Olympics ?

Unless the State Gov does something useful to remedy footpath anarchy - before it gets worse !

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:16 pm

elantra wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:58 am
Andy01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:37 pm
Can you imagine what a circus it’s going to be in Bris in 8 years time for the 2032 Olympics ?

Unless the State Gov does something useful to remedy footpath anarchy - before it gets worse !

Do you really think that this is a problem unique to, and/or only affecting BrisVegas??
I think one reason Melbourne pulled the pin on the Olympics was not just the cost, but fears that people would be skittled too easily, too frequently walking around on the footpaths looking at the scenery. Never mind long-gone Chairman Dan and his perceived real reasons (which are now classified as State Secrets!). After all, I never walk on the footpaths if I can avoid them, I'm on the road one way or another. Footpaths are too narrow and congested; you're either crashing into people with eyes glued to phones, dodging mad hire scooters, keeping hands in pockets to prevent thieves on skateboards making free with your dosh or cyclists riding at a speed they just.should.not.be. travelling at.
Last edited by find_bruce on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: COrrect quote attribution
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]