War on cars

Thoglette

Re: War on cars

Postby Thoglette » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:17 pm

Comedian wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:48 pm
So I reported it. Council got back to me.. they try and find the owner and give them a month to move it. If they can't or won't move it then I can request again it be removed and sometime council will remove it.

I mean.. so why not leave your private property on the road. The council has your back.
Round hereabouts the vehicle will get a rather large orange sticker stating that has been deemed "abandoned". And shortly thereafter it will be loaded up on a truck and taken away, never to be seen again.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:38 pm

Pretty much sums up the Rozelle interchange. You don't need to be a traffic management expert to see the flaws
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:54 pm

Perhaps I'm just imagining it, but the number of anti-SUV articles in the media seems to be increasing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cant-go-on

You never know: in 50 or so years, Australia might actually do something to fix the problem...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:18 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:54 pm
Perhaps I'm just imagining it, but the number of anti-SUV articles in the media seems to be increasing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cant-go-on

You never know: in 50 or so years, Australia might actually do something to fix the problem...
Rather than picking on a particular body shape bring in fuel efficiency regulations, which they are and safety standards targeting greater safety for those that are hit by a motorist

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 am

Thoglette wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:17 pm
Comedian wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:48 pm
So I reported it. Council got back to me.. they try and find the owner and give them a month to move it. If they can't or won't move it then I can request again it be removed and sometime council will remove it.

I mean.. so why not leave your private property on the road. The council has your back.
Round hereabouts the vehicle will get a rather large orange sticker stating that has been deemed "abandoned". And shortly thereafter it will be loaded up on a truck and taken away, never to be seen again.
Guess must depend on local council laws - leafy SE Melbourne and usually a couple of months after sticker appears before vehicle disappears - some look like the aftermath of a crime spree, some collision damage presumably towed to owners street and left, others with a garage and drive full of "projects"....recall this truck occupying one of the busiest cycle lanes in Melbourne:

paywalled story here: (hence screen grab)
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/ ... nt-1-SCORE

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm

Clover Moore attacking cars again:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/gre ... 5fbr7.html

It's a good thing but the usual suspects will be furious about it. We can expect calls to give businesses more votes in elections so Clover is voted out and I would fully expect cyclists among us here to also support her removal. :roll:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:53 pm
Clover Moore attacking cars again:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/gre ... 5fbr7.html

It's a good thing but the usual suspects will be furious about it. We can expect calls to give businesses more votes in elections so Clover is voted out and I would fully expect cyclists among us here to also support her removal. :roll:
A regular cyclist and motorcycle rider, Gannon said he backed the slowing down of traffic.
“I really do want to see streets slowed down. Drivers in Sydney, particularly the high-testosterone 28-year-old male road kings in Ford Raptors, really need to relax,” he said.

I believe down south in Melbourne City Council, Nicholas Reece said something very similar to this statement while the council was debating the removal of all cars from the "Little" streets in Melbourne CBD to turn them over to pedestrians, cyclists and essential delivery vehicles only.

Many months on, this plan has faced stiff opposition, the Melbourne CBD's Little Bourke Street remains a quagmire of gridlocked traffic moving from one bottleneck to the next rather than benefiting any local economic footprint.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am

The Ute tax is not going down well:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5ff66.html

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am

In Brisbane, the Government is considering converting a major arterial road to cater better for
local transport, public transport and active transport.
A toll tunnel would be built to cater for longer distance traffic.

Article is in the Brisbane Times, behind a paywall.
Mellish said Gympie Road could also benefit from better tree and shade cover, which would boost businesses and improve amenity.

“In the middle of summer it’s not the most pleasant place to be with the traffic and the heat, and we would want to make it more accessible for everyone,” he said.
Mellish said Gympie Road could be reconfigured with e-scooters in mind, given their increasing popularity, and the government would also want to factor in an upgrade of the Chermside bus station.
At least someone is thinking ahead.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 pm

so escooters are ok, but bikes are not

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am
The Ute tax
Stop doing Murdoch’s work for him. It’s a (rather overdue ) update to our existing vehicle tailpipe emissions standards.

Not that this means much if you’re the sort to bypass that expensive and annoying particulate filter

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:48 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 pm
so escooters are ok, but bikes are not

Not the full picture.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

A summary of the problems with cars

hunch

Postby hunch » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:47 am

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am
The Ute tax is not going down well:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5ff66.html
Assume this is what that was about? https://theconversation.com/australia-m ... bit-226724

Interesting stat in there about the percentage of the workforce that could reasonable be expected to need a ute now - and 40 years ago....which brought up this quip, "over time, this has been replaced by various forms of cosplay." :lol:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:38 pm

hunch wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:47 am
…which brought up this quip, "over time, this has been replaced by various forms of cosplay." :lol:
Love it!
I’m sitting here watching some lads failing to get their chook chaser into the ute (a Raptor).
Tray is too small, too high and access is hindered by the “roll bar”.
They’ve had to leave the tailgate down to tie it on.
Wouldn’t have that problem with a 1-tonner

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:10 pm

Yet another video on Traffic Inducement

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:25 am

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... r-the-ride

Apparently it takes a 3.5kg dog to make Australians treat this cyclist decently. A sad reflection of how cyclists are treated here.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:22 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:25 am

Apparently it takes a 3.5kg dog to make Australians treat this cyclist decently. A sad reflection of how cyclists are treated here.
Yes, had a motorist shout out something nasty yesterday, typical tradie ute. I didn't take notice as going opposite way and in a big hurry.

That said I often get people wanting to have a look at my bike if I'm stopped, it always gets a lot of attention. I'm happy to explain some of the tech on the bike to people.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:06 am

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:22 am
Cyclophiliac wrote:

Yes, had a motorist shout out something nasty yesterday, typical tradie ute. I didn't take notice as going opposite way and in a big hurry.

That said I often get people wanting to have a look at my bike if I'm stopped, it always gets a lot of attention. I'm happy to explain some of the tech on the bike to people.
The Guardian opened the article to comments, and the very first comment is something like "I'm not anti-cyclist, BUT ...". It's so bloody depressing :(

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:

Yes, that is a great article, says a lot about how prejudiced people can be but some things (like a happy canine) can break down those barriers.

On the local Railtrail (Murwillumbah to Byron Shire boundary, 24 km) it is quite common to see dogs riding in bicycles, on the trail.
The smaller ones often in backpack or chest carrier, but more moderate sized ones in a rear or front carrier basket.
Sometimes you see dogs getting chauffeured along in trailers.
And often of course there are dogs on leads being walked on the trail, which is almost never a problem.
Just occasionally, you see an unaccompanied dog on the Trail.
This is rarely an issue for cyclists, but does sometimes lead to complications when another dog (restrained in a lead or on a bicycle) approaches or passes !

uart

Postby uart » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:09 am

Just a silly meme, but I thought it was funny. I think it's from the US or Canada, but it still really catches the arse about attitude that many people have to cycling in Australia.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:11 am

Very good! Thanks for sharing

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm

uart wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:09 am
Just a silly meme, but I thought it was funny. I think it's from the US or Canada, but it still really catches the arse about attitude that many people have to cycling in Australia.
Wrong model type, but a cyclist I know (a very good one) has an enormous lifted Nissan Titan V8.