M7 to M12 motorway project, no cycleway

g-boaf

M7 to M12 motorway project, no cycleway

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 am

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cut ... 5fiq5.html

Proposal to scrap the cycleways along this new motorway.
Ross Grove, the Property Council’s western Sydney director, said proposed road add-ons such as footpaths and cycleways should be discarded. “Nobody is going to hop on their bicycle with 20 kilograms of luggage to ride from Fairfield to Western Sydney Airport,” he said.
I suppose this idiot only ever goes anywhere by car…

If the paths were there, there are times where I’d definitely ride to that airport if I wasn’t taking much with me. I do that daily to and from work anyway. Riding from location to that airport is nothing major in distance or effort.

That’s what happens when you ride daily for commute purposes and ride on the weekends doing larger rides instead of sitting at your desk making stupid proposals.

opik_bidin

Re: M7 to M12 motorway project, no cycleway

Postby opik_bidin » Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 pm

They will, Western sydney is more flat. I have cycled from Lakemba to sydney airport for aviaton trips. carryinng a luggage. left the bicycle and trailer at the bike park and then after a month going back to sydney, use them to go back to the home in Lakemba.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 07, 2024 1:57 pm

good luck with that. Campbell Newman scrapped a bikeway that was to occur alongside a freeway upgrade 10 years ago. we're still waiting

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 27d4n.html

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 am
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cut ... 5fiq5.html

Proposal to scrap the cycleways along this new motorway.
Ross Grove, the Property Council’s western Sydney director, said proposed road add-ons such as footpaths and cycleways should be discarded. “Nobody is going to hop on their bicycle with 20 kilograms of luggage to ride from Fairfield to Western Sydney Airport,” he said.
I suppose this idiot only ever goes anywhere by car…

If the paths were there, there are times where I’d definitely ride to that airport if I wasn’t taking much with me. I do that daily to and from work anyway. Riding from location to that airport is nothing major in distance or effort.
Even leaving travellers aside, what about people who work at the airport? Or people going that way to go somewhere other that the airport?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but to have a route only accessible by road is really poor planning.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:35 am
Even leaving travellers aside, what about people who work at the airport? Or people going that way to go somewhere other that the airport?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but to have a route only accessible by road is really poor planning.
You can go by bicycle, you just have to go M7 cycleway, camden valley way, then Bringelly Road and the Northern Road. Even better you get some real exercise. :roll: Should be a nice 50km one way, or maybe even 60+. :roll:

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 pm

Hey everyone, just settle down.

It was only a "proposal" to scrap the bike path from somebody who actually has nothing to do with the project.

The official NSW Gov website on the project still lists the shared path as a key feature of the project. It is listed as one of the 7 key features,

A new shared path between The Northern Road and M7 Motorway with lighting and connections to future and existing shared path networks.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... 2-motorway

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed May 08, 2024 9:03 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 8:02 pm
Hey everyone, just settle down.

It was only a "proposal" to scrap the bike path from somebody who actually has nothing to do with the project.

The official NSW Gov website on the project still lists the shared path as a key feature of the project. It is listed as one of the 7 key features,

A new shared path between The Northern Road and M7 Motorway with lighting and connections to future and existing shared path networks.

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... 2-motorway
If we don't fight for these things, then those "characters" with nothing to do with the project will start getting people together and getting their way.