Budget but decent MTB wheel upgrade

Mububban

Budget but decent MTB wheel upgrade

Postby Mububban » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 pm

I've got an entry level dual sus with skinny 19mm internal width rims. Knobby tyres definitely look like lightbulbs. I am not a hard charging daredevil, far from it, but I don't like the idea of a 2.5" tyre folding underneath me as I'm cornering either. So I'm after any recommendations for budget but decent quality 27.5" rims with a wider internal rim width for trail riding, and I'll keep the stock skinny rims for commuting on with 1.6" tyres. My bike runs 11 speed Shimano SLX.

For reference, I spent $800 on carbon wheels for my road bike (Prime Rp35) about 5 years ago, and they transformed my bike. While I'm hoping not to spend that much on the MTB (alloy is fine), I'm hoping there are still some good "bang for your buck" options out there. I just know nothing about MTB wheels compared to road gear!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Re: Budget but decent MTB wheel upgrade

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:32 pm

A "lightbulb" tyre/rim profile on MTB wheels is not actually that bad a thing, in fact quite preferable, although 2,5" on a 19mm rim is pushing the friendship a tad. The profile with a decent amount of sidewall curve gives good small bump compliance, while the slightly higher pressure dictated by the smaller volume for a given tyre on a narrower rim improves big hit forgiveness.

Wider rims are more susceptible to damage, due to being less shielded from trailside snags by the tyre, and as noted above, the big hit resistance being reduced by the lower tyre pressure.

Although there are now quite a few "WT" (Wide Tread} tyres on the market, a lot of MTB tyres are still optimised for narrower rims; put these tyres on a wide rim, the sidewalls stand up stiffly and the tread belt squares off, so when you chuck into a corner there is a lot less rubber grabbing the ground than expected
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:43 pm

Being a roadie that has recently got into MTB, wheels are confusing. I'm guessing you need 27.5, Boost spacing, Shimano Microspline wheels for you bike? Inner width is probably 25-30mm. I would shop on specs because at <$800 I don't think brand is going to matter much, Stan's makes wheels in that price range that meet those specs.

Or if you want cheaper and slightly unknown quality ZTTO has some interesting looking alloy wheels with DT Swiss style ratchets. They have a good reputation for tools, not sure on the wheels.

As Duck said, lightbulbs aren't so bad. My Giant came with 30mm ID rims but also has WT spec Maxxis tyres.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:45 pm

blizzard wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:43 pm
Being a roadie that has recently got into MTB, wheels are confusing. I'm guessing you need 27.5, Boost spacing, Shimano Microspline wheels for you bike? Inner width is probably 25-30mm. I would shop on specs because at <$800 I don't think brand is going to matter much, Stan's makes wheels in that price range that meet those specs.

Or if you want cheaper and slightly unknown quality ZTTO has some interesting looking alloy wheels with DT Swiss style ratchets. They have a good reputation for tools, not sure on the wheels.

As Duck said, lightbulbs aren't so bad. My Giant came with 30mm ID rims but also has WT spec Maxxis tyres.

Thanks guys. The specs are here, 20mm internal width not 19mm, my bad: https://99spokes.com/en-AU/bikes/merida ... -forty-400

Wheels
Rims
MERIDA Comp CC, 20mm inner width

Spokes
Black stainless

Front Hub
Shimano MT400-B, 110x15mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock / Shimano MT400-B, 148x12mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock

Rear Hub
Shimano MT400-B, 110x15mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock / Shimano MT400-B, 148x12mm width, 32 spoke holes, Centerlock
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

owly

Postby owly » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 am

Kinlin tl-29 disc, in 27.5 are 30mm Internal, if just chasing rims.
Best price for rims would probably be through purchasing from Taiwan or Japan due to dollar. (Can't seem to find an Aust seller).

Should be a bit cheaper than DT.

Could pop in to Speedlite Cycles; see if the Manager has other thoughts/leads.
MUFC :twisted: