What did you do with your bike(s) today?

familyguy

Re: What did you do with your bike(s) today?

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:46 pm
Does Shimano make and sell the adaptor? Preferably not available from overseas, only through local distributors? ;)

I didn't do anything with my bike today - feeling off today so worked off site. It needs a clean from the Sunday ride but can wait.

I probably need to change the tyres, the ones on it are starting to look flat across the top.
Shimano part Y0C698050. c.$14 depending on shipping prices locally, IF in stock. Given ten minutes I can make one now that I know the thread sizes required and have the stock and tooling to do so. But that's turned into a 'next weekend' job now.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:50 pm

familyguy wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:46 pm
Does Shimano make and sell the adaptor? Preferably not available from overseas, only through local distributors? ;)

I didn't do anything with my bike today - feeling off today so worked off site. It needs a clean from the Sunday ride but can wait.

I probably need to change the tyres, the ones on it are starting to look flat across the top.
Shimano part Y0C698050. c.$14 depending on shipping prices locally, IF in stock. Given ten minutes I can make one now that I know the thread sizes required and have the stock and tooling to do so. But that's turned into a 'next weekend' job now.
I purchased mine for $2.99 from BikeBug as part of a larger order so received free shipping.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:50 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:07 pm
Kona Paddywagon. No classic or vintage bikes were harmed.
Glad your ok. Tell the insurer it's irreplaceable :D
Anything you can do, I can do slower

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:31 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 am
One possibility is that they're knock-offs - even cheaper if they don't have to copy the packaging. It's not just Rolex etc these days & it's a real problem in the aircraft industry
There is actually a fair bit of fake shimano stuff around. I got stung with some spd cleats. They were in short supply for a while, I found some on ebay, bought 2 sets, didn't think much about it. They wore out after around 1000kms, which is weird as normally they last forever. Looked at the other set I still had, and the packaging was dodgy. There is supposed to be a section where you peel back to reveal qcode, which verifies the product. This package the peel back bit was just printed, and didn't even peel back.

Checking online, apparrently a real problem with shimano stuff, chains, pads, cleats etc.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:13 am

find_bruce wrote:
One possibility is that they're knock-offs - even cheaper if they don't have to copy the packaging. It's not just Rolex etc these days & it's a real problem in the aircraft industry
You might be right. I had no idea that there may be counterfeit bike chains out there ?

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:50 pm
Finally got the BB cups off = two blokes, a 600mm breaker bar, and a vice on a 250Kg metal bench. :shock: :mrgreen:

Foo
Holy hell... I bought myself a decent straight BB wrench so i can hit the tough ones with a hammer, but have never had one that bad.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:56 pm

stevenaaus wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:50 pm
Finally got the BB cups off = two blokes, a 600mm breaker bar, and a vice on a 250Kg metal bench. :shock: :mrgreen:

Foo
Holy hell... I bought myself a decent straight BB wrench so i can hit the tough ones with a hammer, but have never had one that bad.

:lol: Yeah, it's not what I expected niether I can tell you. I also put a clamp on the tool to stop it from riding the notches because without that, it justed wanted to keep rising up. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 pm
Bent the fork. Got left hooked on Albert St; driver turning in to a driveway at the end of a construction gantry. Went straight into the passenger side door. Hopefully it's repairable.
Good news: fork is repairable
Bad news: three month wait
Good news: driver has paid for repairs without any arguments

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Made. Will shorten it on Saturday to allow the o-ring to sit against the lever body and it's brakes ahoy.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

familyguy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 pm
Made. Will shorten it on Saturday to allow the o-ring to sit against the lever body and it's brakes ahoy.

Kudos !
Even if the big-brand part is not exy ($$$) sometimes it’s quicker and easier to fudge it yourself.
Sometimes not, but as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I was talking to a bloke the other day. He said that for certain wheel bearing extraction you can buy an expensive bearing puller …. Or you can get the same result with a cheap Dyna-bolt from the local hardware store

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am

Given the delivery of an OEM item would be a week or more away, this was way faster. If I could have accessed the bigger machine, it would have been done in less than 15 minutes rather than 35. If the M7 thread turns out to be too shallow because I did slightly undersize that end to cut it, I'll just do another one.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:24 pm

Waxed some more chains including a couple of old ones.
4 baths of turps to get rid of the black sh it :o
Then 3 of metho.
Took the sunrace 32-11 cassette of the kickr core and swapped it with the 34-11 of the WR50s I am running with road tyres o the Revolt.

Drip wax is far cleaner than purple extreme like I used to use, but hot melt wax bathed chains are heaps cleaner again.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:
I have just bought a couple of "ultegra" 11 s chains off ebay. Pretty sure they are going to be counterfeit too.
I read some feedback after purchase :roll: and they were counterfeit.
Pretty common apparently :x

https://matthewbrealey.medium.com/fake- ... 2ef76c8aa2

Never returned anything from ebay. Probably won't be easy

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 pm
find_bruce wrote:
I have just bought a couple of "ultegra" 11 s chains off ebay. Pretty sure they are going to be counterfeit too.
I read some feedback after purchase :roll: and they were counterfeit.
Pretty common apparently :x

https://matthewbrealey.medium.com/fake- ... 2ef76c8aa2

Never returned anything from ebay. Probably won't be easy
If you do you homework and give them the correct info should be okay.

I took my bike outside and brought it straight back inside. It was cold this morning and I didn’t have any motivation to ride outside.

45 minutes of Zwift workout (a high intensity one) was enough.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:10 pm

Brake funnel adapter worked a treat. 105 hydros on, filled, bled and working. Might even put the bar tape on the bike tomorrow. So that's one more of the non-functional bikes back working.

Pulled the quill stem out of the Gazelle, cleaned it, put it back in. Creak resolved.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed May 01, 2024 5:44 am

Put the Dura-Ace BB into my Wheeler and started retuning gears after replacing cables. It would seem that I need a new hanger because the ride height adjustment isn't sitting on the lip properly and the top jockey wheel is hitting the 26t n 28t when trying to shift up. :evil:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm

Tried to find a new hanger online. :( I may have to get one that's close but has the same bolt hole spacing and then do some back yard butchering so that it fits the dropout. :| If I new how to use my 3D printer properly I could possibly make a new one if I could create the file. :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 02, 2024 2:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm
Tried to find a new hanger online. :( I may have to get one that's close but has the same bolt hole spacing and then do some back yard butchering so that it fits the dropout. :| If I new how to use my 3D printer properly I could possibly make a new one if I could create the file. :?:

Foo
Have you tried wheels manufacturing?
A few came up when I put "wheeler" into the bike brand search.

https://wheelsmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=wheeler

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:55 pm
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

No, I'll have a gander ta.

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 02, 2024 7:20 pm

warthog1 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

Jebus, I just had a look and they have one but would end up costing me nearly $80. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:20 pm
warthog1 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

Jebus, I just had a look and they have one but would end up costing me nearly $80. :shock:

Foo
Must be the postage and exchange rate?
I would do that rather than bodge something up.
Tubeless tyres cost that much but I pay it, as they just work.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 03, 2024 4:22 am

warthog1 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Foo

I'd put the old one back on before I'd pay that much for $3 worth of aluminium. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:22 am
warthog1 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

I'd put the old one back on before I'd pay that much for $3 worth of aluminium. :wink:

Foo
Not something I've done for a modern bike, but looking at the sacrificial hangers on a couple of my modern bikes and those photos I would say you could make a replacement out of aluminium or steel plate fairly easily?

I've made a few of the old 'claw' type hangers (normal and reverse) to cope with the differing requirements of older derailleurs over the years and it wasn't too hard.

Richard

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:22 am
warthog1 wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo

Foo
And have your rear derailleur end up in the spokes or similar?
No thanks.
There are significant costs above the price of the aluminium to make so many different hangers. They are listed at $27- which is a damn sight cheaper than a wrecked derailleur and or wheel. Yes I have had that happen.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri May 03, 2024 3:58 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:16 am
foo on patrol wrote:

Foo
Not something I've done for a modern bike, but looking at the sacrificial hangers on a couple of my modern bikes and those photos I would say you could make a replacement out of aluminium or steel plate fairly easily?

I've made a few of the old 'claw' type hangers (normal and reverse) to cope with the differing requirements of older derailleurs over the years and it wasn't too hard.

Richard
Yeah surely it’s tempting to try and “make” a new one.
In a perfect world you would be able to make one with a 3D printer.
But I guess that there is no “blueprints” for the derailleur hangers of most models of bicycle.

And if made out of plastic the derailleur hanger would probably bend and twist just a bit too much for optimal function - especially on a hot day !
A bit like in the old days - the 1970’s Simplex derailleurs and derailleur change levers (made out of plastic) seemed to have a bit too much independent movement