Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 Di2

warthog1

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 Di2

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road-bikes ... e=R081_P11

Well I was interested in one of these. A lot of bike for the money it seems to me. Less interested in the crank arm PM on it but fast wheels on a fast frame.
However I have heard on another forum it is hard to get bar/stem combination with a different reach.
I had an online chat on their site with a "representative" about the dearth of handlebar options. Apparently they are only stocked for warranty/crash issues.
Anyone have any more insight than that? Given it is a proprietary "cockpit" provided, it seems adjusting bar width and reach is not possible :shock:
That would make it a scratching then. Seems ridiculous but corresponds with info on another forum.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

blizzard

Re: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 Di2

Postby blizzard » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

I believe the CP0018 cockpit has ±20mm width adjustment from the nominal width built in. You will SOoL with regards to reach if the standard stem + bar reach doesn't work for you. I don't think you can retrofit an aftermarket bar/stem either due to the proprietary interface with the steerer. Also worthwhile checking the leaver reach at the hoods, 90% sure 12sp Shimano is about 5mm longer reach than 11sp.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:38 am

blizzard wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am
I believe the CP0018 cockpit has ±20mm width adjustment from the nominal width built in. You will SOoL with regards to reach if the standard stem + bar reach doesn't work for you. I don't think you can retrofit an aftermarket bar/stem either due to the proprietary interface with the steerer. Also worthwhile checking the leaver reach at the hoods, 90% sure 12sp Shimano is about 5mm longer reach than 11sp.
Thanks, yes inability to change the reach rules it out. :(

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm

Value for money, the Merida Reacto 6000 is a bit cheaper with Ultegra and Reynolds wheels, and 2 piece bar and stem. Or the 105 DI2 version is sub $4k with alloy wheels.

Otherwise there is the Polygon Helios which is good value but again 1 piece bar and stem but at least aftermarket ones fit.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 pm

blizzard wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 pm
Value for money, the Merida Reacto 6000 is a bit cheaper with Ultegra and Reynolds wheels, and 2 piece bar and stem. Or the 105 DI2 version is sub $4k with alloy wheels.

Otherwise there is the Polygon Helios which is good value but again 1 piece bar and stem but at least aftermarket ones fit.
Thanks, that is good value. :)
I have been looking at the supersix in 105 di2.I prefer it but it is more expensive.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am

Well I was interested in one of these. A lot of bike for the money it seems to me. Less interested in the crank arm PM on it but fast wheels on a fast frame.
However I have heard on another forum it is hard to get bar/stem combination with a different reach.
I had an online chat on their site with a "representative" about the dearth of handlebar options. Apparently they are only stocked for warranty/crash issues.
Anyone have any more insight than that? Given it is a proprietary "cockpit" provided, it seems adjusting bar width and reach is not possible :shock:
That would make it a scratching then. Seems ridiculous but corresponds with info on another forum.
Try asking for "special customer wishes" (which is what is on the invoice when buying a Canyon, see below, the photograph from mine:

It has a H36 cockpit which I could have had changed to a different size/measurement at time of order.

20/02/2019

They should be able to ship your frame with a different cockpit (what they call the integrated bar/stem combination). Reach out to the factory in an email.

That is also the process for the Canyon Speedmax TT/triathlon bike frames which always have to be specially configured to each customer. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm totally wrong and speaking nonsense but that is what Canyon themselves told me when I asked about that section on my invoice.

Edit: https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road-bikes ... e=R081_P11

Damn, how is it THAT heavy?? :shock: 8.22kg! :roll: Does it have storage for a 5 course meal?

Are you sure you really want the Aeroad? The Ultimate is also a very quick and semi-aero bike as well, they don't look it but they are, take it from me as an owner of one. The Ultimate is also a really comfortable bike for long distance riding. Previous iterations of the Aeroad CF SLX were not any faster than my Ultimate CF Evo despite deep Mavic carbon wheels fitted. From the looks of it the Ultimate can also take quite large tyres.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Try asking for "special customer wishes" (which is what is on the invoice when buying a Canyon, see below, the photograph from mine:

It has a H36 cockpit which I could have had changed to a different size/measurement at time of order.

20/02/2019

They should be able to ship your frame with a different cockpit (what they call the integrated bar/stem combination). Reach out to the factory in an email.

That is also the process for the Canyon Speedmax TT/triathlon bike frames which always have to be specially configured to each customer. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm totally wrong and speaking nonsense but that is what Canyon themselves told me when I asked about that section on my invoice.

Damn, how is it THAT heavy?? :shock: 8.22kg! :roll: Does it have storage for a 5 course meal?

Are you sure you really want the Aeroad? The Ultimate is also a very quick and semi-aero bike as well, they don't look it but they are, take it from me as an owner of one. The Ultimate is also a really comfortable bike for long distance riding. Previous iterations of the Aeroad CF SLX were not any faster than my Ultimate CF Evo despite deep Mavic carbon wheels fitted. From the looks of it the Ultimate can also take quite large tyres.
Whilst I was talking to him he stated that the bikes come as specified and can't be altered prior to order as he thought that was what I was asking initially. He then went on to say that replacement cockpits aren't readily available to order either. This is consistent with opinion on ww.

Not too worried about weight. I don't spend that much percentage of my riding climbing grades greater than 5%. Aero is more important everyehere else. My rim braked TCR is somewhere around 8kg and the wheels are heavier on that Canyon.
I did have a look at the ultimate but prefer the aeroroad. The lower spec cf slx is said to be quite comfy too.
A scratching given the stupid cockpit arrangement though.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:

I mean it's a no comprise aerobike with heavy (but good) wheels, it's not much of a surprise. The Ultegra version is 400g lighter, which is pretty much all in the wheels and groupset.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm

Sometimes you have to press your case because you get a customer service drone who might not always be aware of what can be done.

Reading elsewhere, some people have been sold the CP0018 separately (even with a discount), so it seems you just have to find the right representative. Alternatively just buy another bike brand completely and tell them you have done so because they are being so difficult.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a4 ... nightmare/
Although not stated in writing anywhere, a representative from Canyon USA informed me that riders in this country could reach out to Canyon’s office in Carlsbad, California, and arrange the purchase of a different stem for $300. Other countries are a different story, however.
Factor lets you customise all this stuff at order, but they sting you massively in cost:

https://factorbikes.com/bike-builder/os ... no-ultegra

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 pm

blizzard wrote:

I have the Reacto 105 di2 and just fitted my existing deep carbon rims. You can buy a one piece carbon aero cockpit for around $1000 and the bike will still be cheaper than the Canyon Aeroad.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 pm
blizzard wrote:

I have the Reacto 105 di2 and just fitted my existing deep carbon rims. You can buy a one piece carbon aero cockpit for around $1000 and the bike will still be cheaper than the Canyon Aeroad.
What is the tyre clearance like and how does it ride?
Last edited by warthog1 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

20/02/2019

The Ultimate is 15 watts less aero than the Aeroad at 45kmh according to the German Tour magazine. I don't see much use of the Ulitmate in the pro peloton in recent years.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 pm
biker jk wrote:
blizzard wrote:

What is the tyre clearance like?
32c should be ok but maybe 30c would work with 25mm internal rims. I have 28c Conti GP5ks which measure 29mm actual width on 21mm internal rims and there's around 8mm clearance to the chainstay on each side.

With 28c tyres at around 60psi the ride is firm but not harsh. Rear compliance is very good (the aero seatpost has a cut out) but the front end is certainly solid (but not jarring). Power transfer is excellent, so I find it climbs well despite its weight. It's certainly faster on descents and on the flat than my previous non-aero bikes.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 pm
g-boaf wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

20/02/2019

The Ultimate is 15 watts less aero than the Aeroad at 45kmh according to the German Tour magazine. I don't see much use of the Ulitmate in the pro peloton in recent years.
But how much of a benefit is it to the average punter who has the stem and bars raised up and isn’t slammed as heck in an aero fit?

And is the average punter doing 45km/h everywhere?

It’d be great if the magazines put a normal rider on these bikes and had them say, yes, this one is hugely more fast than the other one.

If it’s just lab tests then it’s probably wiped out by the person riding the bike, potentially sitting bolt upright and acting as a big air brake.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm
warthog1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:

32c should be ok but maybe 30c would work with 25mm internal rims. I have 28c Conti GP5ks which measure 29mm actual width on 21mm internal rims and there's around 8mm clearance to the chainstay on each side.
Beautiful thanks. Yes 28f and 30r on the WR50s.
I edited my post prob whilst you were posting.
How does it ride? Should be comfy enough with wide tyres anyway I guess.
The price is hard to beat.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:11 pm

But how much of a benefit is it to the average punter who has the stem and bars raised up and isn’t slammed as heck in an aero fit?

And is the average punter doing 45km/h everywhere?
Dunno if I am the average punter but that is a big difference. TT was my specialty when I raced so take aero over weight. My S5 is quicker than the TCR but wont take decent sized tyres being an old goer.
There will be aero advantage at slower speeds too and if you are slower you are on the bike for longer so it still makes a difference.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm
biker jk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:06 pm
warthog1 wrote:

Beautiful thanks. Yes 28f and 30r on the WR50s.
I edited my post prob whilst you were posting.
How does it ride? Should be comfy enough with wide tyres anyway I guess.
The price is hard to beat.
I edited my post to include my take on ride comfort.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Personally I'd go with the Ultimate CF SL8 Aero instead.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/road-bikes ... e=R101_P03

$900 more but 400g lighter and Ultegra as opposed to 105. Reckon you'd get about 90% of the aero benefit as well.

However check out your local bike shops first - plenty of unsold stock around and good deals to be had. I popped by Trek yesterday and could have walked out with a Madone SL7 for under $7k (retail is $9500). Ultegra, 8.2kg, all the good bits.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 pm

biker jk wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 pm

I edited my post to include my take on ride comfort.
Sounds good, thanks. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:27 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 pm

$900 more but 400g lighter and Ultegra as opposed to 105. Reckon you'd get about 90% of the aero benefit as well.

However check out your local bike shops first - plenty of unsold stock around and good deals to be had. I popped by Trek yesterday and could have walked out with a Madone SL7 for under $7k (retail is $9500). Ultegra, 8.2kg, all the good bits.
I'll take the aero reduction over the 400g weight difference if I have the choice.
Reach isn't adjustable there either so they are out.
That Merida already mentioned is also faster and much cheaper. I like it.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Doesn't fix the handlebar issue. But good shout on the unsold stock, I recently got a full suspension Giant for $4k down from $7300 so there are a lot of good deals around.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 am

I have a Aeroroad CFR same cockpit.

I had no issues - bought as supplied. ( large with a 110 stem) off memory

I prefer longer reach. Contacted Melbourne team of Canyon - Could not have been more helpful. Ordered a 120mm. Had to "Buy" it at whatever the cost. Shipped from Germany (very quickly)

Did the changeover (self as mechanically able otherwise you will need a LBS) . Once done Sent the removed shorter stem back to Melbourne ( Think they Gave e a reference number) . When they received it was reimbursed the cost of the "buy" .

All good - Can Not fauly Canyon service in Melbourne for help
Dave

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 am

Dave_C wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:14 am
I have a Aeroroad CFR same cockpit.

I had no issues - bought as supplied. ( large with a 110 stem) off memory

I prefer longer reach. Contacted Melbourne team of Canyon - Could not have been more helpful. Ordered a 120mm. Had to "Buy" it at whatever the cost. Shipped from Germany (very quickly)

Did the changeover (self as mechanically able otherwise you will need a LBS) . Once done Sent the removed shorter stem back to Melbourne ( Think they Gave e a reference number) . When they received it was reimbursed the cost of the "buy" .

All good - Can Not fauly Canyon service in Melbourne for help
Well that sounds very positive, thankyou! :) We sound a very similar fit. I am 184cm tall with 88cm inner leg length.
My TCR has a 57cm effective top tube and I am running a 130mm stem.
I may give the Melbourne Canyon team a call. I may PM you if I can't sort their number

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:54 am

May I also add my vote in support of Canyon in Melbourne, each time I've dealt with them they were mega helpful and just seemed like a cool bunch of people.

I hear from overseas some of the reps in other countries are less helpful though. :|

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 pm

Thanks GB :)