RUOK?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Re: RUOK?

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

Had to google what a garmin venu sq was.
I have a smart watch in a drawer somewhere but not aware it can do that.
Not sure I want to know at this point. I still have a few years of work ahead of me at least but I am old enough to drop the shift work (with a fight) If I require.
We do a 11hr shift and then call. Can fatigue if we need to. Doing that more often now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm

Never been keen on uber-priced smartwatches like Apple and Samsung — my two nieces hooked onto AppleWatches years ago, and I see from recent surgery that anaesthetists, doctors and nurses too routinely refer to them for ad-hoc obs.

For about 5 years now I've gone to Supercheap and picked up an el-cheapo (relatively speaking!) Blaupunkt smartwatch with attendant app (Wofit). I have all of the data that has been illustrated in the foregoing posts ... sleep (deep, light, etc.) and pulse oximetry, BP, temperature (mine and ambient)...plus the usual cycling/running/walking, counting and stopwatch functions. All that for $59.00 (!). The battery lasts all of 10 days before recharging.

I am a mostly light sleeper unless very tired, and summer/hot weather together with the irksomeness of DLS, deprives me of good sleep and that definitely shows the next day when I get cranky! Sleep is light — like last night, especially when I have a portly longhair puss 'making biscuits' on my bed all...through...the...night...
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm

Never seen smart watches advertised by SuperCheap. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:35 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm
Never been keen on uber-priced smartwatches like Apple and Samsung — my two nieces hooked onto AppleWatches years ago, and I see from recent surgery that anaesthetists, doctors and nurses too routinely refer to them for ad-hoc obs.

For about 5 years now I've gone to Supercheap and picked up an el-cheapo (relatively speaking!) Blaupunkt smartwatch with attendant app (Wofit). I have all of the data that has been illustrated in the foregoing posts ... sleep (deep, light, etc.) and pulse oximetry, BP, temperature (mine and ambient)...plus the usual cycling/running/walking, counting and stopwatch functions. All that for $59.00 (!). The battery lasts all of 10 days before recharging.

I am a mostly light sleeper unless very tired, and summer/hot weather together with the irksomeness of DLS, deprives me of good sleep and that definitely shows the next day when I get cranky! Sleep is light — like last night, especially when I have a portly longhair puss 'making biscuits' on my bed all...through...the...night...
They aren't supposed to be used for full medical monitoring supposedly but they are good at tracking a lot of things and the doctors do like them because provided you wear it enough, you get a pretty good monitoring of the details that matter. The watch itself can pick up on potential problems and warn you.

If you were on the bike and have an accident they will detect that and if you don't respond to it, the thing will automatically do an emergency call with your location.

As long as the watch has a practical app that keeps the data in a way that is useful to look at and track easily why not.

I was initially rather sceptical of them - but seeing how well one worked for someone else after a health drama I went and got the original Apple Watch Ultra:

I have used that now since I think mid last year. I wear it when I'm out riding. It does a lot of things that I find convenient. Paying for things, I don't get the card or phone out to do that. The band I replaced with a cheap Titanium one off Amazon. It's not quite as nice as the Titanium on the watch but it's nicer than the original Alpine loop band it originally came with, the band is scuffed and scratched but it's a watch for practical purposes - not a piece of jewellery.

One thing it does do when I'm out walking (I use Strava on the watch to track walking) - noisy environments, it warns of excessive noise. I've been surprised by that, I'm walking beside a main road and a truck goes past, the thing warns about the noise being too high for safety. Previously I wouldn't have noticed that. Sleep tracking on it as well - it has picked up my resting heart rate has changed as well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:07 am

I am impressed at what it actually shows and heart rate count is the same as my BP machine. :mrgreen: Last night was the 2nd night that I had it on and indicates that I had better sleep = more time in REM pattern and body battery is 43 instead of 5 this morning. I tend to think it the readings are pretty good and I do feel better this morning than yesterday, so it will be good to look at a weeks worth of date tracking and see how much my days can vary. :idea:

I also didn't pay full price due to it being on sale. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:33 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm
Never seen smart watches advertised by SuperCheap. :shock:

Foo

Keep good watch. :lol:
I reckon by May-June this year Supercheap will have new Blaupunkt watches on offer; both my watches were bought from SCA around May-July. They will often pop up unexpectedly in the proverbial 'cattledawgs' that Supercheap prints and stuffs in newspapers. My first smartwatch there was found purely by chance, sitting against the counter!
GIANT '24 TCR Adv. Pro Disc 0-AR/ SRAM Force eTAP | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter ['Yellow Peril']

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm

From the world of Rugby League:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-s ... 5fa8d.html

Sport is great of course, but keep balance.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 03, 2024 10:15 pm

A visit to my Dr today for blood test results on a couple of things and it appears that my thyroid is working below normal and requires a more specific test. PSA is climbing also and another test in 6mths time. On the ear that I had a cancer removed from, I now have something inside the folds on the top near where I have part of my ear taken, has become ulcerated and will required testing after it is treated with medicinal cream so that a proper biopsy can be had. :(

CT scans ordered for my lower back and tail bone area due to constant pain and numbness in my left leg, all due to the accident cleaning the pool in our last place where I fractured the tail bone and pushed it sideways. :(

Always be vigilant with what is going on with you body and keep a sound mind about things before things get out of control. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 24, 2024 8:19 pm

Well results have been heard.

Well, the Dr agreed with what I had researched with my back problems = no cure and will get worse but if I can get some work done on it so that it takes some of the pressure off the nerves and then work on my core strength first and it should help me a bit.

Seeing as the damage is still in the first category, I have a better chance of not having as many problems with pain getting worse whilst I work on it and keeping the amount of mobility that I have and continue managing the pain levels with drugs as I am. :(

He showed me on the skeleton what has happened and why my discs are wanting to slip forward and then mentioned the fusing if discs but that then causes the disc above too take more pressure and then wearing out, thus forcing the problem further up the spine, hence why he isn't a keen proponent of having that done and nor am I. :|

Two biopsies done but holy fork, the one on my ear was not pleasant, even with deadening. My skin kept tearing apart because it is so thin. :( The second attempt at it he said.....This may hurt a bit :eek: but fork me, my eyes started watering up and my teeth were about to shatter from the pressure of me clenching them. :shock:

Thyroid is okay, so that's a win. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri May 24, 2024 8:39 pm

Getting older sucks. Have had angiography CT and echo cardiogram in last couple of weeks. Quite a bit of plaque build up in cardiac arteries but fortunately only mild stenosis. So now on statins and hopefully that's all I will need. Still may get PVI (Pulmonary Vein Isolation) to eliminate (?) atrial fibrillation but for now the drugs work well enough.

My cholesterol levels were always high but under the limit, though the LDL reading is much higher than desirable. The GP, based on blood tests didn't think it necessary for statins but cardiologist with the scans could see it was. I have no symptoms and it was only because if the heart arrhythmias that I got the scans done.

But no restrictions on exercise so no complaints.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:44 pm

Sounds like he is a good GP and good that you are getting it all investigated Foo. Too many of us dont get health problems investigated to get a diagosis and how best to treat it. Hopefully you can work on getting that core strength going now. Nice work. 8)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:46 pm

Good you can keep the pedalling going am50em and that the plaques have been discovered.

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri May 24, 2024 8:57 pm

Thanks, one thing my own reading has show is plaque build up is fairly common from twenties but doesn't get to stage where symptoms become apparent till later in life. Definitely want to watch cholesterol levels especially LDL and maybe start statins earlier if diet doesn't help. Also read 75% of cholesterol is made in body and not from food.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 24, 2024 9:19 pm

am50em wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:39 pm
Getting older sucks. Have had angiography CT and echo cardiogram in last couple of weeks. Quite a bit of plaque build up in cardiac arteries but fortunately only mild stenosis. So now on statins and hopefully that's all I will need. Still may get PVI (Pulmonary Vein Isolation) to eliminate (?) atrial fibrillation but for now the drugs work well enough.

My cholesterol levels were always high but under the limit, though the LDL reading is much higher than desirable. The GP, based on blood tests didn't think it necessary for statins but cardiologist with the scans could see it was. I have no symptoms and it was only because if the heart arrhythmias that I got the scans done.

But no restrictions on exercise so no complaints.

That's a big plus. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:44 pm
Sounds like he is a good GP and good that you are getting it all investigated Foo. Too many of us dont get health problems investigated to get a diagosis and how best to treat it. Hopefully you can work on getting that core strength going now. Nice work. 8)

He is and why I travel 1.75Hrs too see him and he's also a cyclist, so knows what I'm talking about when cycling related problems occure. :mrgreen: I give him tips for improving his riding on the road with his bunch mates and he's happy with his improvements. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:27 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 pm

He is and why I travel 1.75Hrs too see him and he's also a cyclist, so knows what I'm talking about when cycling related problems occure. :mrgreen: I give him tips for improving his riding on the road with his bunch mates and he's happy with his improvements. :mrgreen:

Foo
Win win :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 24, 2024 9:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:27 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:23 pm

Foo
Win win :)

Yep and I recon he chases Mr Purple around Cootha. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:40 pm

Foo
Good luck to him with that! :o

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 25, 2024 1:25 am

warthog1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:01 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:40 pm

Foo
Good luck to him with that! :o

:lol: :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 26, 2024 10:50 am

A little note on side effects of the 2nd Shingles vaccine injection. The soreness of the needed area was not restricted to a small radius of the jab point. I had it move the length of my arm and into my shoulder and neck and just felt very 2nd hand yesterday. :( Today is much better with just general soreness around the jab point. My first jab I only had an area around the jab that was sore. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Got a phone call from my Dr, I'm needing surgery on my ear again and one on my arm also. :evil: I was hoping to never have the ear surgery again because it is not pleasant :( but the arm doesn't bother me. The last one on my ear mean't a week of sleeping in the longe chair and even though I had this done 2yrs ago, the ear has remained very sensitive to touch a the pain level if I scratch or knock it, it instantly at a 10. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue May 28, 2024 5:06 pm

Ouch. Not getting a good night sleep iqs never good but hopefully surgery resolves the issue.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 28, 2024 5:22 pm

am50em wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:06 pm
Ouch. Not getting a good night sleep iqs never good but hopefully surgery resolves the issue.

Just a real pain in the arse area. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:34 am

Surgery was done on Tuesday but the outcome is unknown yet. Before the Dr started he informed me that I stand a good chance of lossing my ear in the future due to the nature of the cance and being on my ear. :( That was a real downer for me, so I'm hoping that he got all of it plus a margin.

Seeing as this is the 2nd lot on my ear, he has taken a wede out and then foled it back down onto the previous section that was cut out so that it looks like a normal ear but one that will appear lower than my left one, so fingers crossed. It took the two Dr's over an hour to cut out and sew back up the arm and ear with them working on the arm and ear. The one working on my arm I had to stop because I could feel him slicing into my arm and that feeling of cutting yourself open with a sharpe knife is not a nice feeling. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:57 am

Yikes! Hoping for the speedy recovery and the best possible outcome.