50%
Giant OCR 3
50%

Total votes: 2
markymark

GIANT OCR 3 vs. FUJI Newest 2.0 ??

Postby markymark » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:52 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to road bikes and new to this forum. Need a quick answer as to which bike you think is better, and in what way?

Originally I was sold on the Giant OCR 3, but then I was introduced to the Fuji Newest 2.0. They are both the same price, but;

* Fuji has brakes on the handlebar as well as the levers.
* The Fuji has Tiagra rear deraileur, whereas Giant has Sora all the way.
* The Fuji has Continental Sport tyres whereas Giant has Michellin Dynamic
* Giant has Truvativ crank

Both have carbon composite forks, both are same speed gearing.

On paper it would look as though the Fuji has slightly better components, but people keep telling me the Giant OCR 3 is better, any reason why?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:54 pm

If they are the same price and (roughly) the same specification, then your bum is probably the thing to go by - or, more to put it politely, ride them both and think about which one you like more.

I believe in consistency across the groupset - but from what you've said, neither of them are consistent - one has a Truvativ crank (which many bikes do) and one has a higher spec rear derailleur (but that's not going to give much difference to overall performance and mixes a 9-speed component into an 8-speed groupset).

I don't see how a bike can have 'brakes on the handlebar as well as the levers' - don't they both have STI shifters (combined brake / gear levers)?

My advice - ride them. Subtle changes of geometry, frame / fork materials and fit will have a much bigger impact on rideability than subtle changes of any one component!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I own a Giant OCR2 and a Fuji track bike. Both bikes are good.

Can you post some links to the bikes so we can have a closer look.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

markymark

bike details

Postby markymark » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:16 pm

markymark

Postby markymark » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:22 pm

peterrjleach wrote:If they are the same price and (roughly) the same specification, then your bum is probably the thing to go by - or, more to put it politely, ride them both and think about which one you like more.

I believe in consistency across the groupset - but from what you've said, neither of them are consistent - one has a Truvativ crank (which many bikes do) and one has a higher spec rear derailleur (but that's not going to give much difference to overall performance and mixes a 9-speed component into an 8-speed groupset).

I don't see how a bike can have 'brakes on the handlebar as well as the levers' - don't they both have STI shifters (combined brake / gear levers)?

My advice - ride them. Subtle changes of geometry, frame / fork materials and fit will have a much bigger impact on rideability than subtle changes of any one component!
Thanks for your advice, I've asked the shop if I can test ride them, and they said they will let me do that on a trainer.

The FUJI bike believe it or not does have two sets of brakes, and it also has the STI levers like the GIANT.

But I think you hit the nail on the head, I just have to be comfortable riding it, but at the same time, I dont want to compromise comfortable ride for lower quality.... so that's why i'm confused as to which way to go.

So far i've gone from being sold on the GIANT, then changing to FUJI, and now I'm thinking maybe the GIANT will be better quality?

Although it's a little 'pussy', i do like the idea of brakes on the top bar as well as on the STI levers, just for quick controllability, also means I can ride on the top bar in crowded areas where brakes should be on hand, but then again maybe i'll get used to having the brakes on the levers in crowded places and it's just something that will be gained over time & experience.... just like riding a bike! :D

bda20

Postby bda20 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:37 pm

there are some bike differances in ride between a windtrainer and on the road for a start there is bumps on the road :(

this might sound a bit harsh but if they won't let you take it for a ride tell them you will go else where. When I bought my bikes I rode my first one for about 20 mins to see what it was like and my new one I was out and about for over a hour 8)

just remember that you are doing them a favour by buying the bike off them not the other way around :D
quitting is so easy it makes success so sweet

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi MarkyMark, could you post the fuji link again, the one above doesn't seem to work
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 pm

I almost bought the Fuji a while back, but ended up with an Avanti.

I suggest that you have a closer look at the componantry of the Fuji. The LBS that tried to sell it to me forgot to mention that the brakes were a rip off no name brand (that didn't have the release lever that dual pivot brakes should have) and the hubs were "Joytech". If you don't mind the generic componants then the Fuji is not a bad package. :wink:

The only thing that I liked about the Fuji was that it had the Tiagra shifters and derailluers. Tiagra gearing can be upgraded to a 9 speed (talks of 10 speed coming soon) where as the Sora is limited to 8 speed. :?

I've been told that Simano will be phasing out the 8 speed within a few years time. So anything less than a 9 speed could see your bike obsolete very soon. :shock:

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 pm

I'd find another LBS, especially one that'll let you ride on the street, and see what they say of the two bikes. I recently bought a new bike and was really surprised that the manager allowed me to take any bike out for a spin. I think I ended up trying 3 or 4 models before deciding. I took it on flats as well as up and down some hills, and gave all the gears and brakes a work out. I ended up deciding on taking the one that I least expected to buy. It just felt so much better... Kaching!