Opinion on Avanti Cadent

stevetdflover

Opinion on Avanti Cadent

Postby stevetdflover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 pm

I am looking at moving up to an endurance/performance (plush) road bike from my Giant CRX1 flat-bar. I am in my late 50's, 70 kg and reasonably fit (except for accumualted sporting injuries coming back to haunt me). I do have lower back problems, hence the idea of the more relaxed geometry without too much loss of performance. My LBS has been very helpful and put up a convincing argument for his brand - Avanti - particularly Cadent 2 (or 3) as I would like Ultegra 6700 groupset at minimum.
Others in the mix include: Colnago CLX 2.0, Scott CR1 PRO, Trek Madone 4.9, Pinarello FP3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Wilier Mortirolo and even Giant Defy Advanced 1- no doubt all good bikes with a varying price range.
Any feed back from objective owner/riders would be very much appreciated based on that I would like to join a cycle club for more serious riding which will include plenty of hills.

MREJ

Re: Opinion on Avanti Cadent

Postby MREJ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi there

I have had a Cadent 2 (09 model - the same frame as the 10) for about 18 months. I am 50, 5.10 and 71kgs so we are in the same ball park, although I don't have any back problems.

I bought it coming off a Kona PHD flat bar, which I'd really enjoyed. I wanted to get a road bike (drop bar) which was designed for what I was into - long fast rides with my friends, on sometimes roughish roads outside Sydney. So I was interested in the endurance types of bikes such as Cannondale Synapse, Giant Defy, Scott CR1 and so on.

Anyway, the Cadent has been a delight to ride and a noticeable step up from the Kona. It's certainly very comfortable, with longer chainstays, a shorter top tube and taller head tube. I've ridden it quite a lot (5,500 ks in about 16 months) in rides varying from 45 minute blasts to all day epics. It's been great on all occasions. I've also ridden a few bunch rides and kept my end up pretty well for an oldish bloke. The only change I made it was to swap the standard tyres (Specialized 25mm on the one I bought) which I thought were dead. I put on Conti GP4000S 23mm tyres and the bike picked up quite noticeably as a result.

I'd be happy to recommend this model for what you want. Compared to the flat bar, it's definitely higher performance, and I predict you won't wont to go back. The drop bars alone add a lot of flexibility and are more comfortable, and the bike will be lighter and quicker responding. It handles very predictably down hills (my top speed 87) and can keep up with the best of them when blasting along the flats.

For another comparison, I recently also bought a Giant TCR Advanced. This wasn't because of any dissatisfaction with the Cadent - that bike's been terrific and I had no complaints. It was just that I wanted to continue catching up my missing years of cycling education, so I deliberately bought a bike with more aggressive geometry and a stiffer ride (and a bit lighter). I was interested to read a recent bike review (Cycling Plus top 50, who named the Giant as their bike of they year in 09) which described the Giant as very comfortable. That wasn't my first impression after getting off the Cadent. In comparison, the Giant is firmer on the road, more lively in the steering, and bounces more off all the little bumps you get once off the hotmix. It might be a bit better up hills, with its shorter chainstays, stiffer frame and slightly lighter wheels. Overall, it's definitely a "higher performance" bike but I'm still deciding whether it's better for what I do.

Regards, Marcus
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

stevetdflover

Postby stevetdflover » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Marcus,

Many thanks for your detailed opinion. It sounds like you have similar cycling ambitions to me. I must admit I have been seduced by the legendary status and sensational styling of the likes of the Pinarello FP3 and Colnago CLX 2.0 - but at a far more extravagant price point - and can I really do these bikes justice? The Cadent 2.0 seems to represent vgv for money although I think I would like to complete the group set by replacing the 105 cassette with the Ultegra 6700 and maybe even a Dura Ace 7900 rear derailleur like some of the more exotic bikes with similar specs. I guess I am trying to convince myself I need to spend a little more than the rrp of $3,499 for the Avanti - I firmly believe (generally) - you only get what you pay for.

Regards & happy, safe riding,
Steve

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Very happy Cadent 1.0 owner here. I test rode the Cadent 2.0 but was out of my price range and 105 compact is good enough for my style of riding.

I also had a Scott S30 and really like Scott bikes although haven't ridden the CR1. The new CR1's are relaxed geometry (not sure of the specs) so everything equal I'd be happy with either.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:07 pm

I ride an 09 cadent 1.0 (same frame set as 10) but it runs full 105.

the Ultegra on the 2.0 would be great but i have to say the 105 compact has been excellent.

But in relation to the frame itself im really happy, the carbon is quiet consistent, bottom bracket is nice and stiff, i only notice flex when i really get out of the saddle and pedal flat out and its a very nice looking bike.

The geometry is slightly relaxed but its customizable enough to drop the bars and adjust saddle position to make it more aggressive if you want to.

Its my first proper roadie, iv had it for around 6 months and its been great. I can reccomend it.

Hog

Postby Hog » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:57 pm

I have an 09 Cadent 2 as well, done only 1400km in 6 months, longest ride is 135km. Average rides are 20-50km. I am 49, 92kg and 180cm.

The bike has been good, but the internal cabling ratlles and the crank creaked (fixed at 1st service), and creaking from the headset and seat post is starting to develop.

I am considering buying a nice CF frame and transferring the moving bits.

I think there is similar or better value around.

Maxfli

Postby Maxfli » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm turning 54 but feels like 45 :D I'm 173cm. Used to play competitive squash in my 20s.

I just bought my 1st roadie after the doctor ordered me to lose weight by 10 kilos. Was 93 now 88.4 and aiming for 80 first then 75. 70? never! 75 is my ideal weight according to doc.

Bike I bought is a special :D price I mean. Specialized Roubaix Elite 2008 model brand new from LBS for $1999. 2010 model retails for $3500. It's the only one left and my size. Fits perfectly. Have been riding for 3 days and felt like a racer coming from a 2nd hand mountain bike at $200. With Shimano SPD pedals, cleats and Specialized MTB shoes I've found a new love in cycling. Bike handles very well and the shimano 105 gears are reliable. Full carbon frame, fork and with zertz inserts albeit the cheapest of the Roubaix range copes with rough patches admirably. Was almost going to buy the Avanti Giro 2010 for $1999 until I was shown this clearance sale Roubaix.

Incidentally the Giant CRX 1 was the 1st bike that I saw at the LBS that triggered my lust for a road bike. It seem so well made compared to my crude mountain bike. Since then I've look at the Giant Defy 1, Fondriest FZ4, Argon 18 with 105, Malvern Star Oppy C5, BMC Streetfire SSX01, Avanti Giro. I believe I have made the right choice with the Roubaix Elite especially given the discounted price, the build is more suited for me because of the relaxed geometry and carbon damping. Most important I test rode it and it felt very comfortable and the LBS did a perfect fit for me. Discounted price, perfect fit I couldn't have been happier.

I do hope you find the bike that fits you and which you will love. Good luck.
2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite
2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5

rufus

Postby rufus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:41 am

I have read the posts about the Avanti Cadent and I must say that sounds like music to my ears.
I am 53 this year, 179cm, 76kg.
Started riding an Avanti Vivace 2.5yrs ago, its served me well for commuting & weekend rides. Done about 10,000km.
But I would really like to step up so I have my eye on a Cadent 2.0.
The idea of the endurance bike with a "comfort factor" :wink: appeals to me also.
Considering my budget this bike fits the bill.

I was checking out a Avanti Quantum 2.0 yesterday. Needless to say I had to restrain myself, bought only what I needed & left.
Hope to have a new bike soon. Thanks for your reviews.
cheers

stristra

Postby stristra » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm

I am almost definitely about to buy a cadent 2.0. It will replace a 2007 Scott S10 (Alu frame, carbon stays and forks and ultegra).

I can't think of anything else in the same price range that will give a full carbon frame and ultegra.

Can anyone suggest a better bike at the price?

I ride about 7000 km a year, mostly 50 -100 km rides for fitness and enjoyment and a weekly race with a vets cycling club.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:39 pm

stristra wrote:I am almost definitely about to buy a cadent 2.0. It will replace a 2007 Scott S10 (Alu frame, carbon stays and forks and ultegra).

I can't think of anything else in the same price range that will give a full carbon frame and ultegra.

Oppy C6 seems to go for $2.5-3k and has same components and wheelset. No idea which is better, but the Oppy keeps popping up on this forum as good value.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm

BrisVegas wrote:
stristra wrote:I am almost definitely about to buy a cadent 2.0. It will replace a 2007 Scott S10 (Alu frame, carbon stays and forks and ultegra).

Oppy C6 seems to go for $2.5-3k and has same components and wheelset. No idea which is better, but the Oppy keeps popping up on this forum as good value.
Keep in mind the Cadent is a relaxed geometry frame. Avanti Quantum in race geometry, as is the Oppy range. Make sure your comparing apples with apples.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I have the 2007 Carbonio - the predecessor to the Cadent - and I've loved every bit of it. Admittedly I'm a bit spoiled with it having a full Dura-Ace Groupset and wheels but all the structural bits have been great for the past 3 1/2 months and nearly 2000 kms. I've found it very comfortable to ride (even though the jury is still out on the Specialized saddle, sometimes its great, sometimes it feels like I'm sitting on a lumpy rock) and the only issues with it I've had are a bit of a niggling headset tension problem which seems to be down to true wheels, correctly aligned pads and correct headset adjustment which seem to be eluding me a bit, and the standard tyres that came with it are fairly prone to puncture, but that's probably because they're light racing tyres rather than durable training ones.

If you love it and it loves you, buy it :)
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

caerdadh

Postby caerdadh » Tue May 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey!

You've probably made your decision by now, but anyway, I have owned a Cadent 1.0 for about 4 months. Love it!

Frame size is M/L so about 54-56, its got the standard package of 105 stuff, Shimano wheels and Continental tyres. Goes like a rocket and I don't really notice a gap in the ratios despite coming across from an 8 year old Triplo.

Took a couple of rides to start to find a rhythm with it, and to get used to the freaky carbon noises. Mate of mine has a Tarmac SL and keeps casting envious glances at the Cadent as well.

Good price, funky design, comfortable and good handling! :D
Rockin the Cadent in a very polite way

lazeyjack

Postby lazeyjack » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Been reading this by all you OLD dudes,
Smile
I am 63, road on and off all my life, but did not have a decent bike until March this year when I bought a classic Italian steel, upgraded to Campagnola wheels, shimano Dura Ace
I could not get over how a good bike climbs Paid 170 Euros and enjoyed myself in a country where cars go AROUND you and not through you However freight was prohibitive so left it there for next time
#So now I am looking at compo fuill carbon and considering the TCR or the cadent
I am also looking for riding mates, so I can hide in group as solo I have been run over twice here on Sunshine Coast:))just kiddin I,m not slow I never found biking to assist losing weight although it sure does shed sweat at 1.825 90kg I can never seem get down to 87
thanks for feedback, leared lots
Stu

stristra

Postby stristra » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 am

Hi, I have now owned my cadent 2.0 (ultegra) for 4 months. It took me w hile to get used to it, and I initially blamed the bike for a sluggish ride, when in fact it was my lack of condition following a lay off. Now I am fully trained up, the performance of the bike is a significant improvement on my previous bike (Scott S10, Alu with carbon forks and rear stays).

the cadent handles really well, is quiet (compared to Scott) and smooth. I love the relaxed geometry because for the first time, I can ride in the drops and actually feel comfortable.

I have no regrets and love riding it.

bda20

Re: Opinion on Avanti Cadent BUMP

Postby bda20 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:37 am

Hi guys,

I have a argon 18 that I have had for almost 7 years now and have been looking at a cadent 3.0 to replace it. I like the idea of the relaxed position as I don't race and probably never will. the LBS has the 3.0 on sale for $2200 so it is also great value.

Just wanted to see if you are all still happy with your bikes????
quitting is so easy it makes success so sweet

cjrich

Re: Opinion on Avanti Cadent BUMP

Postby cjrich » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 pm

bda20 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a argon 18 that I have had for almost 7 years now and have been looking at a cadent 3.0 to replace it. I like the idea of the relaxed position as I don't race and probably never will. the LBS has the 3.0 on sale for $2200 so it is also great value.

Just wanted to see if you are all still happy with your bikes????
Yep, still happily riding my 2009 Cadent 1.0 which came with 105 spec. Would love to upgrade as it's now 3 years old but it's still going well, still looks good and still suits my riding needs so can't justify the 3k for an upgrade. When I do finally upgrade Avanti will again be high on my list for consideration.

CJ
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3