Mini Slam #5 - 109km though Adelaide Hills - 21st October

MichaelB

Mini Slam #5 - 109km though Adelaide Hills - 21st October

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:22 am

Here is the route

Route Map - Mini Slam #5

And here is a sbnapshot of the route profile :

I knew it should have been an omen when the weather said that it was going to be the hottest day for 7 months (35 degrees), AND it would be windy. Pah, I said, at least it won't be too cold to start with, and I'll just drink plenty ... :roll:

Anyway, packed the car and all the gear the night before, got up at 5am, and had some good brekky and lots water, and then set off on the 30 min drive to the hills. That would be the last easy thing of the day.

Got there, rew-assembled the bike, last nervous wee, slapped on some sunscreen, gutsed another banana, missed the start by a few minutes and then set off.

My main aim, apart from finishing was do do it in under 4 hours. I set off at a reasonable pace, and in trying to get back to the pack, passed a few turtles that had set off with the hares. Progress was going well and the wind wasn't too strong. At about the 15km mark, I was joined by a guy and we set about gradually reeling in the peleton for the next 40km. We struck some strong coss winds and some occaisonal headwinds, but the speed was good. Up ahead the peleton was getting closer, albeit very slowly, but it was a pleasant ride with the temp about 26 degree's or so.

Lotsa up hill and down, and whilst the peleton were dropping stragglers, we carried on reeling them in. At the 50km mark, we hit the gas on the flats in a ddesperate attempt to bridge the last 100 or so metres, and finally did it, about 20 metres before the first feed stop :roll: at 53km covered. After a brief stop and refuel, check of the speedo, and we had averaged 31.6km/hr and well under 2 hours. This 4 hours targert will be done. :oops: :oops:

We set off again only to be greeted by very strong cross & headwinds that were to last all the way back. At times there was some shelter from the winds, but bugger all.

My riding companion was straggling up the hills, so at the top of the last downhill, I set off after a group of 3 with the aim of riding with them. I caught them going into Starth and we rode together from there.

The last 20km from Strathalbyn was a real slog, and by then it was getting to 34 degrees, and headwinds up the hills. I paused to help a fellow cyclist repair a puncture (he borrowed my pump) and it was a good excuse to grab a few minutes quick rest. After another fluid topup 10km from home, I pushed on.

I finished the 109km in just over 4 hours, 4:06:49 to be exact, with an average speed of just under 26km/hr.

The second half of the course, the av. speed dropped from 31.6 to about 18km/hr - that's how strong the winds were.

The legs are still a bit sore this morning, but I am glad I did it and will do the whole series next year.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:45 am

Good one mate. It was a sod of a day. At the soccer trials, we had a couple of kids laid out good and proper with the heat (one on the verge of going to hospital).

Pity I missed it.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Good work Michael!
Does this mean that you will be the forum's bunch leader for the TdU challenge stage in January?
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:35 pm

I felt good until I read the posts from KillHeadWind about his 160km and Byblo and hit ATB ride :cry:

Oh well, next time I'll do it quicker.

TdU bunch leader - no way.

I'll be happy to complete that one, let alone any heroics ....

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:59 pm

MichaelB wrote: ... TdU bunch leader - no way ...
I did say: "TdU Challenge bunch leader" You'll be the only one of us who knows the way, so we'll be relying on you to make sure that we don't get lost. You are still doing this, aren't you Richard? You won't be able to ride some silly lying down bike, but you could always put the 'flip flop' wheel on you fixie and ride that. :wink:
MichaelB wrote: ... I'll be happy to complete that one ...
Don't worry, so will I!
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:02 pm

MichaelB wrote:I felt good until I read the posts from KillHeadWind about his 160km and Byblo and hit ATB ride :cry:

Oh well, next time I'll do it quicker.

TdU bunch leader - no way.

I'll be happy to complete that one, let alone any heroics ....
Nothing to be embarrassed about when compared to my effort. You did it 50 minutes quicker than me and I used a large group to up my pace in the last 25km's! Your ride also looks much more hilly than mine was, we only had one climb I could describe as a real hill.

I also saw a 06 Tourmalet, nice deep blue colour 8) . Noticed 3 in total, but the nicest was a polished alloy with metallic red/burgundy decals, noice :P
The older I get, the better I was...

KillerHeadWind

Postby KillerHeadWind » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:31 pm

Congrats on the ride.
Looks like a lovely course to get some climbing legs. :)

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:07 pm

Great riding Michael! That wind was a definate killer to the avg speed. The photos are up on epsom road studios website. I've had a good look through but can't see myself. Was a very good ride will do the whole series also next year may look at the the off road series too.

Do you know if many people ended up doing the whole 200?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Onya Michael, great work not falling off after the 84km mark. That looks bloody painful.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:49 am

Couldn't see myself in any of the pics as well.

Good, as it won't show the anguish on my face ....

Thanks guys, it was a lot tougher than I thought, especially at the end with the headwind up the hills and the day getting warmer.

No idea of how many did the full 200km, but I think it was a few.

The nature of the course with the ups and downs was good, as it wasn't all flat, and the scenery was pretty good too.

Overall a good ride in the country with bugger all cars and traffic lights :D