what's the best way to wash yr bike?

thecaptn

what's the best way to wash yr bike?

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 09, 2010 4:33 pm

i've always washed my bike using degreaser, a hose and finnish by blow drying with an air blower.
how does everyone else do it and what should i look out for?

brauluver

Re: what's the best way to wash yr bike?

Postby brauluver » Sun May 09, 2010 6:45 pm

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =wash+bike

This is one of many threads you will find if you search bike+wash . :wink:
it's all there tucked away, awaiting a search.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun May 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Topic unlocked because there is no currently active thread with this information. Who know what new and wondrous cleaning product has been thrust upon the market since the last of the many threads? :)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 pm

thecaptn wrote:i've always washed my bike using degreaser, a hose and finnish by blow drying with an air blower.
Hi

I am curious about your use of a degreaser. Are you referring to the frame here or the chain? If the frame, what material is and what degreaser are you using? Personally I just use a car-wash on my carbon, steel and aluminium frames.

Andrew

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:
thecaptn wrote:i've always washed my bike using degreaser, a hose and finnish by blow drying with an air blower.
Hi

I am curious about your use of a degreaser. Are you referring to the frame here or the chain? If the frame, what material is and what degreaser are you using? Personally I just use a car-wash on my carbon, steel and aluminium frames.

Andrew
in the past when i've come home with a filthy muddy MTB ive just soaked the whole thing in cheap spray can degreaser but now as my road and MTB's are becoming more and more expensive i've restrained from doing this as i don't want to stuff them up. all of my bikes have been alloy but my two current bikes also have carbon forks. if ican get the grit off them i'll clean them very carefully with prep wash for the tar etc and a car pollish for the frame.
i usually pull the chain and back wheel off and wash the cassete/chain seperateley
i've used car wash recently and that was ok but it wouldn't gat tar off so i had to do it again with prep wash.

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Sun May 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Hope I don't get busted for using a brand name but if you go to Reece and get the bath and shower cleaner, it's orange oil, great for all round degreasing, Eucalyptus for oil and tar spots and Earth Choice floor and tile cleaner with warm water for muddy bikes generally. All the above are plant based, biodegradable and cute bunny friendly..And if you don't care about biodegradability and cruelty free stuff you are a tool of the worst kind. :evil:
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm

I hang my bike off the clothes line, hose gently with water, then use a sponge with a little car wash (not dishwash - too harsh). Then rinse, again gently with the hose. Gently because I don't want to get water inside the bearings, and it really doesn't need high pressure. (ok sometimes the mtb does but not often). Then I dry it off with an old towel before putting it away in the shed (bike not towel).

The chain gets it's own wash when it's getting dirty. For that I use a chain cleaner tool & kero, then metho, then re-apply Rock&Roll Red. And don't do that with your bike hanging off the clothesline unless you want a dead patch of grass where the kero drips.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

master6

Postby master6 » Mon May 10, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm surprised that sandblasting or steam cleaning hasn't been mentioned. Every other method of assault has been covered. This is your girlfriend you are washing, not your wife!

Perhaps you are talking about Mountain bikes, Mud bikes, or some other type that has not been cleaned for 10 years. If so, I would not have a clue.
I cant understand anyone using harsh methods. Modern bikes might have "sealed?? bearings", however you wont find the terms "water resistant", or "waterproof " mentioned anywhere, because water does get into them, and applying water, or degreaser etc with any kind of pressure applicator will only assist the entry.

I clean my road bike weekly, every 300km, and do it in comfort using the stand in the photos. There is usually a slight smattering of chain oil, bottle slop, sweat, snot, and my dog tells me, sometimes small traces of road kill on the underside.

With the bike on the stand, minus both wheels, I give it a spray with furniture polish (Mr sheen, or Homebrand for half the price) and then use a clean piece of rag about the size of a handkerchief and wipe it all over until it is dry. The furniture polish readily removes all of the aforementioned filth, and leaves the bike clean and shiny. Wipe hubs, spokes, and rims with another clean rag, but no polish.

The stand makes the job easy; you have two hands free, and no back bending.

bowie

Postby bowie » Mon May 10, 2010 4:07 pm

You use an air blower???

Forget that none sense

1) Dip rag in metho / turpentine / moonshine to clean everything
2) Apply lube
3) Ride the fsking thing

Sometimes I wonder if there is a secret comp in this thread regarding how difficult can we make the simplest of things :?
b is for bicycle :D

master6

Postby master6 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:45 pm

bowie wrote:You use an air blower???

Sometimes I wonder if there is a secret comp in this thread regarding how difficult can we make the simplest of things :?
I have seen a bike shop using an aircompressor as a cleaning tool.

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 am

Baby Wipes. They get the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! of everything!

Zoiks

Postby Zoiks » Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 am

if you guys are worried about the paint and clearcoat on your bike, a popular product in the car scene is baby wash (johnsons no more tears etc)
Current bike: 2003 Giant TCR2 w/ full 105

alex

Postby alex » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 am

detergent & bucket of water and a sponge/brush

just like washing the car
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

gdt

Postby gdt » Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 am

Hang it from the clothesline with some looped rope. Clean the chain with degreaser in chain cleaner. Rinse chain and then bike. Drop out the wheels. Inspect tyres, check true. Clean the wheels, cogs and exposed cables with alkaline truck wash and selection of brushes. Rinse well. Clean inside brake pads with brush. Wash frame with car detergent and sponge. Rinse. Wipe dry. Wash hands and have a coffee now that the icky bits are done. Spray silicon polish to frame. Reinstall wheels. Motorbike chain wax onto chain and exposed cables. Exercise all gears and cables, adjusting as necessary. Check chain wear. Check lighting, replacing/recharging batteries as needed. Undo from clothesline. Buff seat and any pads with vinyl care product. Record date, cycle computer odometer, and any parts replaced.

Repeat four times, for each bike in the family. Handily, a rotary clothesline makes a nice four-bike "stand". The verandah railing on the kid's cubby house makes a convenient rack for the wheels.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm

bowie wrote:1) Dip rag in metho / turpentine / moonshine to clean everything
Don't use turpentine unless you need to remove grease. Metho will work fine (possibly better) on dirt and unlike turpentine isn't hazardous either to your health or any part of your bike.
- Dave

master6

Postby master6 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:22 pm

norbs wrote:Baby Wipes. They get the s*** of everything!
Avoid John Wayne T paper. It dont take S*** from no B.m!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I use these kitchen/bathroom wipes, cheap at $2 a pack and do a great job. I use them on the roadie and commuter for normal dry riding cleaning.

For when the MTB or others gets dirt caked on I'll give it a light spray with the hose first[Hopefully while its still wet/fresh] Avoiding spraying too much on the sensitive spots. Then just clean it with a rag with warm soapy carwash if there is baked on grime and dirt. Then make sure you lube anything that moves :lol:

I store the bikes inside so I try and clean them after every ride, which is pretty easy and quick because in the dry they never have a chance to get very dirty.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 pm

bowie wrote:You use an air blower???

Forget that none sense

1) Dip rag in metho / turpentine / moonshine to clean everything
2) Apply lube
3) Ride the fsking thing

i use an air blower to remove grit out of the casette, chain etc and also to remove water and dry the bike. it's easy 'cause it hangs on my stand.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:41 pm

You lot have no clue to how a bike is best washed and to get started grab all the necessary cleaning rags/fluids and place next to the fav bike to be washed. Then waddle of grab a beer and flick the idiot box on while plonking down in the lazy boy throwing the feet up. Give a couple of yells to the misses and tell her things are set-up relax and in no time bike is cleaned and your smiling but don't forget to give a full inspection and nit pick even if the jobs perfect it keeps them on there toes. Give the lass a slap on the butt tell her she's a perfect little doll and ask when is dinner.......................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Loving hubby Ricky

master6

Postby master6 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:You lot have no clue to how a bike is best washed and to get started grab all the necessary cleaning rags/fluids and place next to the fav bike to be washed. Then waddle of grab a beer and flick the idiot box on while plonking down in the lazy boy throwing the feet up. Give a couple of yells to the misses and tell her things are set-up relax and in no time bike is cleaned and your smiling but don't forget to give a full inspection and nit pick even if the jobs perfect it keeps them on there toes. Give the lass a slap on the butt tell her she's a perfect little doll and ask when is dinner.......................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Loving hubby Ricky
and.........?

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 16, 2010 3:46 pm

master6 wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:You lot have no clue to how a bike is best washed and to get started grab all the necessary cleaning rags/fluids and place next to the fav bike to be washed. Then waddle of grab a beer and flick the idiot box on while plonking down in the lazy boy throwing the feet up. Give a couple of yells to the misses and tell her things are set-up relax and in no time bike is cleaned and your smiling but don't forget to give a full inspection and nit pick even if the jobs perfect it keeps them on there toes. Give the lass a slap on the butt tell her she's a perfect little doll and ask when is dinner.......................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Loving hubby Ricky
and.........?
and....then he wakes up and realises it was just a dream. :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 16, 2010 5:25 pm

thecaptn wrote:
master6 wrote:

Loving hubby Ricky
and.........?
and....then he wakes up and realises it was just a dream. :roll:
... and the couch really isn't very comfortable. :lol:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:00 pm

That's a true story I did that one day and to my surprise she came out and started washing my bike. My jaw dropped I couldn't believe it worked then as I sat relaxing the sponge and bucket of water was hurled over me with a barrage of language the game was up. Her coming out and washing my bike placed me in a very relaxed mind set so no clue the water was coming............. :D