Quick Commuter?

Xplora

Quick Commuter?

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:50 am

Hi, first post and hoping you guys can solve this problem for me. I have been cycling for a few months now, after picking up a RUBBISH Fluid Alpha on special at Anaconda, basically a mountain bike. My wife has a 3-4 year old Trek Live Strong we got in Queensland. Flat bar hybrid. Anyway, I've been enjoying having a real bike (as we are the same height at 6 foot) but she needs her bike back so she can ride more. I miss her leg muscles since having our son!

I'd like something similar to her bike, but with panniers and drop handlebars, with good gears that are controlled from the brakes (not the bar ends). I've been advised that a full touring bike would be a bit excessive. I'm quite slender and light is good. Having a bit of flexibility to put fenders and slightly bigger tyres would be good too - I've basically worked out that I can't get a normal road bike either because I'm quite abusive, and I can't afford to be smashing a carbon bike or hacking the sprockets off a cheap set of gears.

Anyway, her bike has tiagra/deore parts, and getting the next step up would be good. I'm infinitely quicker than her on the road, and I am not going to upgrade; just replace the bits as it dies.

Either way, it's clear that I have no idea what to get. I found the Trek Portland (on the USA site) to be something that was probably perfect. A "lightweight" commuter/tourer, if you like. I'm going to be lugging a 2 child bike trailer a lot more than I expect as well, kids to childcare etc.

Am I mad? Can this be found? My first visit to the LBS was painfully fruitless. It seemed that my requirements are a bit too specific, and the bloke wasn't able to decipher my gibberish.

I'm looking at bike trailers and shoes, if anyone has good suggestions LOL

Thanks for reading, thanks more if you've got a suggestion.

rkelsen

Re: Quick Commuter?

Postby rkelsen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:06 am

Tried a cyclocross bike?

ghettro

Postby ghettro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:27 am

A light touring bike sounds like the ticket. Something like a Randonneur style bike, like a touring bike but more lightweight and racier - but still the ability to fit full mudguards and widish tyres. Really you can build a Surly LHT up with some decent parts, not go overboard on racks and keep the tyre width reasonable (like 28-32mm) which will keep it reasonably quick. With a good 36 spoke wheelset as well it'll be a tough day in day out bike which can haul a load and not be excessively heavy or cumbersome.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:31 am

This. Not sure if you can get a rack on it. (In case link doesnt work, its user simonn's Kinesis(?), nice ride.)

Aushiker is building a Kinesis as well, IIRC?

Jim

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 am

build/buy a built surly crosscheck.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 am

Is it possible to get a "cyclocross" style bike with the 105 Shimano groupset for around 1500 after discount? I was looking at the Cross Check but the gears aren't quite what I was after... and custom building seems to be VERY pricey after looking at cheekytransport.com.au

I'm realistic that the rack might not be included for that price, but it seems strange that the road bikes have better gears at the same price point.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:52 pm

frame and fork: surly crosscheck $410
groupset: campag veloce / shimano 105 groupset $500
canti brakeset: avid shorty 4 cantilever brakes $80 (and sell your dual-pivot road brakes for $80 or (if you bought the 105 group,) upgrade wifes bike for points)
headset: 1 1/8 threadless headset campy record - $80
stem: $10 & up
bars: $30 & up
bartape: $20 & up
seatpost: $20 & up
saddle: $50 & up
wheels: miche rc2 hubset $90, mavic open pro rims $120, nipples and dt comp spokes $80, tubes, rimtape and panaracer pasela tg 35c tyres $80, skewers $30 = $400
mudguards: sks bluemels mudguards $35
pannier racks: madison summit (dunno, you choose) $50

total $1600ish

factor in postage on some items and tools or mechanics fee and you're looking at $1800 or more, plus pannier bags. pretty cool bike though 8)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Xplora wrote:Is it possible to get a "cyclocross" style bike with the 105 Shimano groupset for around 1500 after discount?
Given your requirements, I think you'd struggle to get anything with 105 for that sort of money locally.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm quite mercenary about buying stuff online - local isn't the only way of doing things.... I reckon if someone is prepared to ship the frame for 30% less than anyone can hand it to me here, then they deserve my business. I've played this game with guitars. Munga, it sounds like you've done this before LOL

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Salsa Casseroll Triple ?? Cheeky Monkey sell it in Sydney.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

munga

Postby munga » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Xplora wrote: Munga, it sounds like you've done this before LOL
heading down a similar path, but still undecided on framesets

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 pm

munga wrote:
Xplora wrote: Munga, it sounds like you've done this before LOL
heading down a similar path, but still undecided on framesets
munga is on the money - although I'm not sure I'd build a set of wheels. There are a couple of decent, strong wheelsets from FSA, Fulcrum and Shimano in the under $200 bracket that would suit.

Otherwise, here's what I did although I went ghetto on the frame:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=23698
plus I had half of the bits in the shed already. I'm regretting I didn't go disks for the brakes but I have plans for that this year based around the road style disks, a new fork and a disk adapter for the back.

It's a great bike, but for commuter duties it's been superseded by an old Randonneur/Touring bike I got for $10 that already had a good rack on it. If your bike is doing duty as a car replacement, you'll eventually end up with panniers. The cyclocross bike comes out on rainy days for puddle jumping and does dirt road duty
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

simonn

Postby simonn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:37 pm

My roadie seems to fit your needs...? I looked at steel, but although I am hardly a weight weenie it seemed just a little too heavy (I do have 500M of climbing each direction on my commute though).

Kinesis T2 frame, DC07 forks & FSA IS-2 integrated headset from c r c, Token TK930B Mono-Q Stem from LBS during fitting, everything else I already had off my old bike whose frame I broke:
"Alloy anatomic road bar" from 2006 Giant OCR2
Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Saddle
"Carbon seatpost" from 2006 Giant OCR2
105 9spd STIs & dérailleurs
105 HT2 BB
Tiagra triple crankset 50/39/30
Tektro 521 brakes
Bike24 Ultegra/CPX33 wheels
Crud Roadracer muguards (Mk1)

The frame can take proper mudguards/fenders, but I already had the Roadracers. I can put a rack on it, but I prefer a messenger bag for commuting. The wheels are bike24 Ultegra/CPX33s 36 spoke, not 32 as advertised but fine by me - came with crap rim tape though which left me stranded and so I replaced.

alexf

Postby alexf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Xplora wrote: Either way, it's clear that I have no idea what to get. I found the Trek Portland (on the USA site) to be something that was probably perfect. A "lightweight" commuter/tourer, if you like. I'm going to be lugging a 2 child bike trailer a lot more than I expect as well, kids to childcare etc.
Clarence St Cyclery in Sydney have/had the Trek Portland (I think they are the australian distributor of trek). It was on special a few months ago for 1500 or 2000...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Start with this...
Do some tweaking over time and this appears...
Say hi to Lola
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Espresso_

Quick Commuter?

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I bought my Kona Honky Inc for less than $1500, which has 105, disc brakes and 28mm tyres for the real world. Mud guards are panniers can be fitted.

You can always go for the cheaper Honky Tonk if you are happy to forgo discs (I'm not).

It's also steel, which is great if you are "abusive" with your bikes. I like it more than my previous aluminum bike, but that's personal preference.

I was looking at a Trek Portland too, but the Kona won out on price by a long way.

E
Last edited by Espresso_ on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:03 pm

The Honky Inc does seem to tick all the boxes, just doesn't come with rack or fenders (not worth 500 bucks LOL)... how does the lack of triple front sprockets go? I personally don't use the 3rd, but if I'm trying to ride with kids I have to go slow.... just going to the 1/1 gear enough?
I might have to check out the LBS, have a feel of some different bikes. I'm a bit concerned about steel's weight (because of my current bike), but I'm almost certain I'm going to be very "yobbo" to the bike, and treat it with less respect than it deserves. I think my wife's bike is alu/carbon and my buns feel every single crack in the road and footpath.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Espresso_ wrote:I bought my Kona Honky Inc for less than $1500, which has 105, disc brakes and 28mm tyres for the real world.

E
Damn that's good value, I wish it was available when I went for my DewDrop. Hmmm, the 2011 in charcoal metallic available as a frameset...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Xplora wrote:The Honky Inc does seem to tick all the boxes, just doesn't come with rack or fenders (not worth 500 bucks LOL)... how does the lack of triple front sprockets go? I personally don't use the 3rd, but if I'm trying to ride with kids I have to go slow.... just going to the 1/1 gear enough?
I don't miss it from my last bike, although I thought I might. I dont do enough serious climbing; never approached anything yet which was out of the range of my gearing.
Xplora wrote:I might have to check out the LBS, have a feel of some different bikes. I'm a bit concerned about steel's weight (because of my current bike), but I'm almost certain I'm going to be very "yobbo" to the bike, and treat it with less respect than it deserves. I think my wife's bike is alu/carbon and my buns feel every single crack in the road and footpath.
I found the weight to be a non-issue, despite the Honky Inc being almost 2kg's heavier than my last alu bike. I seriously don'y notice it; again its a personal thing. I DO notice the suppleness of the ride compared to my old highly-strung alu bike. Its much better, in my opinion and will address the issue of cracks in the road and footpath (along with wider tyres) better than anything short of suspension!

E

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Espresso_ wrote:I bought my Kona Honky Inc for less than $1500, which has 105, disc brakes and 28mm tyres for the real world.

E
Damn that's good value, I wish it was available when I went for my DewDrop. Hmmm, the 2011 in charcoal metallic available as a frameset...
What if I told you I paid less than $1300?

I got last yr's model - the white (which I like a lot more than the current version too, but thats a personal styling thing).

Pic can be found here:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... nc#p467669

E

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

How do you measure geometry vs measurements of the rider?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:48 am

Google "competetivecyclist" then search for their fit calculator.

@Espresso, if I was that kinda bloke, I'd prolly say "Bastige".
But seing as I'm not, I'll say SCORE! Good luck to yer mate.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:56 am

Mulger bill wrote:Google "competetivecyclist" then search for their fit calculator.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

They also have MTB and Tri fits as well now. Punched the same numbers in for a MTB fit and found the MTB ETT is 5.5cm longer with about the same stem range. I also found my ETT on my MTB is 1cm too short and my stem about 1cm too long. Oh well...since it was loosely fitted to me by a bike shop in 1990, I can't complain really. It came with a 140mm stem at the time and now has a 120. If I ever get another MTB to replace it, I'll get a 2cm longer ETT and a 2cm shorter stem.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am

simonn wrote:My roadie seems to fit your needs...? I looked at steel, but although I am hardly a weight weenie it seemed just a little too heavy (I do have 500M of climbing each direction on my commute though).

Kinesis T2 frame, DC07 forks & FSA IS-2 integrated headset from c r c, Token TK930B Mono-Q Stem from LBS during fitting, everything else I already had off my old bike whose frame I broke:
Bike24 Ultegra/CPX33 wheels

The frame can take proper mudguards/fenders, but I already had the Roadracers. I can put a rack on it, but I prefer a messenger bag for commuting. The wheels are bike24 Ultegra/CPX33s 36 spoke, not 32 as advertised but fine by me - came with crap rim tape though which left me stranded and so I replaced.
I am curious, the c r c Website says this frame can take "larger winter tyres", but that you'll need long reach brakes as a result. Did you use standard brake calipers?. My commuter has some rock solid Mavic A719s on it, but the smallest tyre they will take is a 28mm one. If the frame can take these wheels then it would be a perfect match.

After seeing your bike (both on here and on Epping Rd!), I am tempted to make my 2011 project a rebuild of my commuter bike from a flat bar hybrid to a drop bar. I have noticed a hairline crack starting to form where the downtube meets the bottom bracket. It could just be a crack in the clearcoat, but I am keeping a very close eye on it because this is where my first Trek frame gave up the ghost. If it does fail, I'll be seeking my second replacement frame from Trek, at which time I think I might sell it and build up something based around the Kinesis.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 am

queequeg wrote:this frame can take "larger winter tyres", but that you'll need long reach brakes as a result.
I do not think they mean that you need longer brakes if you are using larger tyres, but that you need longer brakes because you can use larger tyres whether you actually do or not. I have long caliper brakes and, yes, you do need them. Although I imagine the calipers off your commuter would be long enough.
queequeg wrote: My commuter has some rock solid Mavic A719s on it, but the smallest tyre they will take is a 28mm one. If the frame can take these wheels then it would be a perfect match.
I imagine they would fit. Not so sure about with mudguards though.

Flag me down some time on Epping Rd when you are on your commuter and, if we have time, we can give it a go...?