Indoor Bike Storage

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Aushiker wrote:Care to provide photos and/or details of the type of hooks used etc?
Per request and was just lazy with photo posting. So here they are. If I move the sweeper rack, then there's room for another one or two hooks. Not bad for 12 bucks don't you think?
Last edited by sogood on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks Sogood. What sort of hooks are they or where do you find them in Bunnings? I assume they screw straight into the wall? Holding up okay?

Looks like they will do the trick for Bob that is for sure.

Regards
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Sogood. What sort of hooks are they or where do you find them in Bunnings? I assume they screw straight into the wall? Holding up okay?
No probs. The hooks were sold in pairs in a sealed wrap and were found near where all the other household hooks were. There was another brand's large hook that had a more circular curvature but I chose this more squarish design for its extra width (rightly or wrongly). Originally I was going to put a bit more padding on it but just got lazy. Spec wise, 10-12kg is well within the spec of that two hooks. If you have a solid wooden beam, then they can be screwed straight in (perhaps a small drill hole first). In my case, the $12 outlay included two big masonry plugs and a drill (either 8 or 10mm). The actual hooks only costed around $5 for the pair. Next time I can just buy the hooks and plugs.
Last edited by sogood on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:55 pm

sogood wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Thanks Sogood. What sort of hooks are they or where do you find them in Bunnings? I assume they screw straight into the wall? Holding up okay?
No probs. The hooks were sold in pairs in a sealed wrap and were found near where all the other household hooks were. There was another brand's large hook that had a more circular curvature but I chose this more squarish design (rightly or wrongly). Originally I was going to put a bit more padding on it but just got lazy. Spec wise, 10-12kg is well within the spec of that two hooks. If you have a solid wooden beam, then they can be screwed straight in. In my case, the $12 outlay included two big masonry plugs and a drill (either 8 or 10mm). The actual hooks only costed around $5 for the pair. Next time I can just buy the hooks and plugs.
Thanks. I will look more closely next time I visit. I wandered around awhile back looking for something along these links but didn't see these, but then I was probably looking in a different area. Will look more closely next time.

Useful information. Thanks for sharing.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:58 pm

sogood wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Care to provide photos and/or details of the type of hooks used etc?
Per request and was just lazy with photo posting. So here they are. If I move the sweeper rack, then there's room for another one or two hooks. Not bad for 12 bucks don't you think?
What's the red tyre that sitting around?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:57 pm

mikesbytes wrote:What's the red tyre that sitting around?
My old Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX amongst all the unrepairable retired tubes. It hasn't totally worn through to the threads yet but have had a few more punctures. Thought I might keep it as a back up for the time being. I've been keeping those tubes thinking that I may have a use for them one day. :roll:

One strategic move for the location of the hooks that I haven't mentioned is, the wife's car is underneath those hanging bikes. My car is safely on the other side. :wink:

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Saw some hooks like that in the k mart bike section today, no I wasn't shopping for a huffy :wink: Reckon they had a soft protective outer but didn't look to hard.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:49 pm

needsapush wrote:Saw some hooks like that in the k mart bike section today, no I wasn't shopping for a huffy :wink: Reckon they had a soft protective outer but didn't look to hard.
Bang on, more padding too IIRC. Big W and Saqfeway are worth a look too.

Sogood, may I suggest a texta mark on the masonry plugs flush with the wall as a reference, just in case y'know :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:04 pm

And if you hang by the rear wheel you may not need a step to reach either! Or hang as you have and roll it up the wall resting the seat against your body to keep it under control.

And to others... if space is critical and most bikes are not used that often then loosen the stem and turn the bars 90 degrees, then you can hang the bikes much closer together, especially MTB's or flat bars. Only 1 or 2 screws to adjust. 2 minute job...
Last edited by Blybo on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get, the better I was...

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sogood, may I suggest a texta mark on the masonry plugs flush with the wall as a reference, just in case y'know :wink:
Thanks for the good advice.

The extra length of plug protruding out is the bare bit of the plug and it would be very clear should there be any shifting. At present, it feels pretty solid. Not sure if you or anyone else have any experience with those hollow concrete building blocks, they are damned hard to fix anything to. It's only a cm or two before you reach the hollow centre which provides no anchorage support for a plug. The horizontal bike hanger with my Ridley on is presently suffering from this problem and I dare not overload it. Hence I drilled into the cemented joint for these two hooks.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:12 pm

Blybo wrote:And if you hang by the rear wheel you may not need a step to reach either! Or hang as you have and roll it up the wall resting the seat against your body to keep it under control.
I've already tried hanging by the rear wheel but it was still tough. The hooks are a tad on the high side as I had to make sure the bikes are well clear from the car roof below. I keep my two road bikes on the horizontal hanger for one and inside the house for the other.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Toggle bolts would be the go for a breezeblock wall.

...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Could you not use a couple of those spring loaded wing nut type bolts or dyna bolts to attach the holder to the wall.

I just installed a heap of dyna bolt hooks to the wall on our 'blind side' of the house today to hold overhead netting for a cat run :roll: . This bloody cat has cost me a fortune building this but at least he'll never get hit by a car now...

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Damm you Shaun, I've just spent 5 minutes trying to remember the term for toggle bolts half way thru my reply

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

I wouldn't recommend dynabolts for breezeblock, same problem as masonry plugs.

Shaun

Sorry 'bout that Chief :lol:
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Toggle bolts would be the go for a breezeblock wall.
I thought those little toggle bolts were for plasterboards etc. But did consider them as I searched that aisle for around 20mins. In any case, those toggle bolts didn't come in a large enough size nor have a version with a large hook. Then I couldn't work out how to match that set of hooks with a toggle bolt.

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I wouldn't recommend dynabolts for breezeblock, same problem as masonry plugs.
I agree. Given what I have seen of those breezeblock (learnt a new term), they won't hold a dynabolt. There's virtually no holding strength in those blocks. Scary.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Toggle bolt a thickish piece of hardwood timber to the wall and then screw the hook/s into that. I was actually thinking about the horizontal bike holder for the toggles which would be held to the wall by any screw type that would grip.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Good point with the big hooks.
I was thinking more of your Ridley here. There's more than one type of hollow wall anchor in Bunnings.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Blybo wrote:Toggle bolt a thickish piece of hardwood timber to the wall and then screw the hook/s into that. I was actually thinking about the horizontal bike holder for the toggles which would be held to the wall by any screw type that would grip.
Ok, understood.

After the breezeblock problems I saw with the horizontal bike/sweeper racks, I had another look at how the builders anchored things on this type of walls and noted that they anchored everything to those cemented joints. Not sure if it's correct or not from a tradesman's point of view, but they seemed to be working for these two hooks. If I should put in two more hooks, then one will need to go into a concrete column. Dynabolt would work very well for that I think.

Blybo

Postby Blybo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:55 pm

As long as it didn't seem too powdery or easy to drill into it should be fine. Your load is pulling down mostly rather than out from the wall. I bet the problem with your other rack is the top bolt pulling out as the bracket its self is acting like a lever. I once had a masonry screw pull out with this type of bracket that was holding my much heavier MTB, luckily no damage to bike, bracket or anything else in the garage... The next time I made sure the drill bit was exactly the dimension required :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:05 pm

The problem with those breezeblock is that they flake. The drilled hole would expand even with the little effort involved in punching in the masonry plug. Drilling into them feels more like sand than concrete. Still remembering my drilling for a series of shelves inside the house, those solid bricks killed one of my good drill bit. It was hard work even with a hammer drill. Just amazingly hard in comparison.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:17 pm

came across this home built PVC bike rack

and this

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice lugwork on the PVC, not enough time to sit around whittle at plastic though.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:23 pm

G'day

Got the gravity stand as suggested from Crazy Sales, but it don't seem to work for me. Which ever way I position, curved base away from the bike or towards the bike, it just tips over. Seems to me that the angle or length of same coming out of the curve piece on the floor is not sufficient to offset the weight of the bikes.

Am I missing something here?

Regards
Andrew