Need opinion for first road bike

suencien

Need opinion for first road bike

Postby suencien » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi guys,

I noticed there's now a sale at this link is broken and so I decide to get my first road bike.

From the so many choices, I managed to pick three that are most suitable for my budget. The only problem is picking the best one out of the three. I so so need your expert opinion on this one.

They are:
- Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011
- Moser Bikes 111 Ultegra 2011
- BH Bikes Prisma 7.8 Ultegra 2011

Which one would you pick if you were me?

Thank you for your help guys! :)

Cheers,

Andry

wombatK

Re: Need opinion for first road bike

Postby wombatK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:28 pm

suencien wrote: Which one would you pick if you were me?

Cheers,

Andry
Well Hi Andry and welcome to BNA...

What would we pick if we were you ? Heck, that's a tall order - because you've otherwise told us naff-all about you.

If you were a mind reader, and I were you, then I could probably read your mind and work out what purpose you
have in mind for the bike. But alas, I am not a mind reader, so I couldn't help out. That is, if you are a mind-reader.

If you are not a mind reader, then maybe post a bit more info about what your purpose for the bike will be. For
all we know, you might be thinking of going rock-hopping with one of these bikes. Or you might just want to
hang it on the wall for visitors to admire.

I have to admit, even if I knew your purpose, and it wasn't just to troll-up an ad for one of these bikes, I'd recommend
you have a serious think about the cost of returning an unsuitable or faulty bike to wiggle. Unless
you live in Portsmouth UK (and you've kept pretty quiet about where you live), it could be ridiculously expensive
(like $200 or more) and could take months to do.

On the other hand, if you walk into a LBS in your local town, and tell them what purpose you have in mind for your
bike, they are bound by statutory warranty to supply you with a bicycle that is suitable for that purpose. That
includes making sure that it is an appropriate fit for your physique etc.,.

Depending on what purpose you have in mind, these things can be pretty important - much more important that
saving a few dollars on a special that doesn't fit your needs.

Disclaimer: i have not affiliation with any LBS, and quite like buying stuff from wiggle.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:57 pm

Wk, long post there! Wonder if that can be an automated reply
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

markusm

Postby markusm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

None of the above, I reckon get one from a LBS.

Get a more well known brand as you will eventually want to upgrade and it will make it easier to sell.

car123

Postby car123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 pm

suencien wrote:Hi guys,

I noticed there's now a sale at this link is broken and so I decide to get my first road bike.

From the so many choices, I managed to pick three that are most suitable for my budget. The only problem is picking the best one out of the three. I so so need your expert opinion on this one.

They are:
- Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011
- Moser Bikes 111 Ultegra 2011
- BH Bikes Prisma 7.8 Ultegra 2011

Which one would you pick if you were me?

Cheers,

Andry
Hi,

I would choose Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011 because its best and affordable price too. Designed by Prorace design team, the Moros frame features new technology like a tapered headtube which is 1 1/8" diameter at the top but a beefier 1 1/2 " at the bottom and also incorporates internally asymmetric stays to save weight and enhance power transfer from you to the road and you have a true 'pro-race' machine at a price that won't scare your wallet.

timmyt123

Postby timmyt123 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:40 am

i saw this threat, so decided to join to offer my perspective as i recently bought the Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011 from Wiggle

firstly i live in perth. to get it shipped here took less than 7 days. all up it cost around $2200. the bike cost around $1800; shipping around $180; and duty and gst around $250. my budget was around $2500, so i was pleased to come under that.

the bike itself:

i bought the large. i'm around 179.5cm with an inside leg around 80cm (fairly short legs). the frame fits well. when i stand over the top bar there's 3-4cm gap; this is due mainly to the down curve of the top bar. if the bar were straight, i'd struggle to stand without lifting my feet.

the crank arm when pointed down is close to the ground, leaving around a 7.5cm gap. i've already scraped the bottom of one of them from walking it over a curb. the frame is fairly long compared to the height, but i have a long body shape so it fits me well.

put together, the bike weighs around 7.5kg. while the frame is carbon, the handlebars, stem and seatpost are alloy.

it's not a complete Ultegra groupset. the chainring is shimano sg-x compact (50/34 with 12-25 cassette). i like the compact because the crank arms are fairly long 175mm, plus there's some pretty steep hills i've had a go at climbing. and riding up steep hills is a breeze. using the lowest gear, i've been able to climb seated without struggling. the highest gear is still high enough for downhill.

i've put shimano XTR mountain bike peddles on it (because i prefer mountain bike shoes). they work well.

overall, i'm very happy with the bike. it's a very smooth ride and handles very well. i love the shape of the frame; the way it looks and the way it rides. over time i'll upgrade the alloy parts.

hope that helps.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Is this whole thread just Prorace propaganda?
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 am

ozdavo wrote:Is this whole thread just Prorace propaganda?
Readers can judge for themselves. Posts from newbies here (low post counts) could well be genuine - but if the author isn't contributing anything elsewhere, so you have no way of assessing the value of their opinion. Could be gold, could be rubbish -
you have to guess.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

timmyt123

Postby timmyt123 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 pm

yes i'm a noob, so to speak, to this forum, and to riding as well, but everything i said in my post is genuine. i can post pictures of my new bike, along with receipts, and of the scrape i under the crank arm. i can also post pictures of my new Garmin 800, which just happened to arrive today.

i am in no way affiliated with any company or organization. i am someone from Perth (West Perth to be exact), who has just started getting into riding last year, who has now fallen in love with it (excuse the melodrama), and who has, only recently, been able to afford a decent bike.

i have to admit, my experience with road bikes is very limited, so take what i said as you will.

just another thing with the Prorace, i think the stem is a little long for me (120mm), when i can afford to upgrade, i'd get something shorter.

besides that i love my new bike. while i haven't taken it to bed with me, i have spent the odd half-hour or so staring at it with much contentment.

suencien

Postby suencien » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:51 pm

Thank you all for your response! I decided to purchases the Battaglin, but unfortunately after 3 weeks of waiting, Wiggle cancelled my order because of an unfixable issue, which they did not explain.

So I'm still hunting for another bike. I too live in Perth!!! :) I'm very new to this sport and this is going to be my first bike. The purpose? I guess it is to exercise at Perth's very well maintained bike tracks. My average use will be 1 ride per 1-2 weeks :)

The two bikes I cosider now is the Moser Bikes 111 Ultegra 2011 and Prorace Moros Ultegra 2011. I always thought Italian made was better. Is this the case with bikes too?

Andry

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 am

ozdavo wrote:Is this whole thread just Prorace propaganda?
Makes you wonder doesn't it :?:

Andrew

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:02 am

This coming from another noob.

Ultegra 2011 is a pretty good group set for that type of minimal riding. I'd certainly follow the advice of buying from one of the local stores as you will get the bike setup to fit you. When buying your first bike, nothing beats good advice and a proper fit up you get from a good store. You can get some decent Shimano 105 carbon bikes in the $2000 to $2500 price range. Check this link bike exchange.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 am

suencien wrote:My average use will be 1 ride per 1-2 weeks :)
Something from K-Mart would be perfect.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:07 am

Ouch! Wt? Is Prorace? BSO more under the radar than most BSOs?

Edit: ahhhh, a Wiggle brand. Wiggle employees must be trying to load them off tout suite. Why don't they just rebrand them as Wiggle?

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 am

CommuRider wrote:Why don't they just rebrand them as Wiggle?
Would you ride a Wiggle?

clackers

Re: Re: Need opinion for first road bike

Postby clackers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 am

ozdavo wrote:
Would you ride a Wiggle?
You might go someone from Hi-5, though, Ozdavo!

ozdavo

Re: Re: Need opinion for first road bike

Postby ozdavo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 am

clackers wrote:
ozdavo wrote:
Would you ride a Wiggle?
You might go someone from Hi-5, though, Ozdavo!
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't even think of it that way!

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

CommuRider wrote:Ouch! Wt? Is Prorace? BSO more under the radar than most BSOs?

Edit: ahhhh, a Wiggle brand. Wiggle employees must be trying to load them off tout suite. Why don't they just rebrand them as Wiggle?
Prorace is not a Wiggle brand.

http://www.prorace.be/

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 pm

For some reason, their viral marketing attempt ain't working.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 pm

timmyt123 wrote:yes i'm a noob, so to speak, to this forum, and to riding as well, but everything i said in my post is genuine. i can post pictures of my new bike, along with receipts, and of the scrape i under the crank arm .
Sure.

timmyt123

Postby timmyt123 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 pm

CommuRider wrote:
timmyt123 wrote:yes i'm a noob, so to speak, to this forum, and to riding as well, but everything i said in my post is genuine. i can post pictures of my new bike, along with receipts, and of the scrape i under the crank arm .
Sure.
sure