Bobbin Head Cycle classic

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Just wondering if anyone is planning on doing this event? It's a new one this year. They've got 15, 50 and 100k rides from Turramurra through bobbin head. The 50 turns around at Berowra and the 100 turns around at Calga.

It's on Sunday 25th March.

I've done Berowra to Turramurra and back, and Berowra to Calga and back, but not both together. Thats 4 serious hills, with sundry ups and downs. I reckon I'll give it a go though. Total is closer to 111km. Oh yeah, the cost is a reasonable $50 too.

http://www.bobbinheadcycleclassic.com.au

Oh, I have nothing to do its the ride beyond planning to do it and hoping it succeeds to become annual.

Cheers,
Dave

familyguy

Re: Bobbin Head Cycle classic

Postby familyguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

They were handing out flyers for this at the end of the Gong Ride. I have thought about taking the chance, but I dont know how well its going to be organised. I cant see anything about road closures, marshalling, etc. If its not closed roads, I'm staying away. Sunday morning down there would be fairly overrun with bikes, and then to put an event like this on the same day? That said, I hope it comes off, cause its a nice place to introduce people to riding.

Jim

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Just wondering if anyone is planning on doing this event? It's a new one this year. They've got 15, 50 and 100k rides from Turramurra through bobbin head. The 50 turns around at Berowra and the 100 turns around at Calga.

It's on Sunday 25th March.

I've done Berowra to Turramurra and back, and Berowra to Calga and back, but not both together. Thats 4 serious hills, with sundry ups and downs. I reckon I'll give it a go though. Total is closer to 111km. Oh yeah, the cost is a reasonable $50 too.

http://www.bobbinheadcycleclassic.com.au

Oh, I have nothing to do its the ride beyond planning to do it and hoping it succeeds to become annual.

Cheers,
Dave
Of course, you can do that ride on any Sunday for nothing, you don't need to wait until March :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am

queequeg wrote:Of course, you can do that ride on any Sunday for nothing, you don't need to wait until March :-)

Of course :wink: But it's more fun in a organised event.

I agree with Jim - I hope it's well organised. I doubt there will be road closures, though maybe the stretch between the start and bobbin head gates would be useful, esp for the 15km family ride. I'm not too worried about the other bits, though if there are a couple of hundred riders (maybe optimistic, but I hope not!) bunched up between Berowra and Cowan it could be a bit tight - there's no shoulder to speak of.

Still, I have ridden all of these roads on my own, just not all in the one ride. I'd also like to know what sort of rider support there is along the way - is it just every man for himself and see you when you get back? Website is a bit lacking in details...

Cheers,
Dave

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
queequeg wrote:Of course, you can do that ride on any Sunday for nothing, you don't need to wait until March :-)

Of course :wink: But it's more fun in a organised event.

I agree with Jim - I hope it's well organised. I doubt there will be road closures, though maybe the stretch between the start and bobbin head gates would be useful, esp for the 15km family ride. I'm not too worried about the other bits, though if there are a couple of hundred riders (maybe optimistic, but I hope not!) bunched up between Berowra and Cowan it could be a bit tight - there's no shoulder to speak of.

Still, I have ridden all of these roads on my own, just not all in the one ride. I'd also like to know what sort of rider support there is along the way - is it just every man for himself and see you when you get back? Website is a bit lacking in details...

Cheers,
Dave
You might want to consider doing the Bike North Century Challengeon April 29th then. Entry is free for Bike North Members (which is $35 for a year). You do 60, 100 or 165km courses in teams of 2 to 4 riders with staggered starts. Starting at Wahroonga Park, the 100km ride does Galston Gorge, Berowra Waters, Mt White, then Bobbin Head before returning to the start. If you are feeling a little more game, you can do the 165km course. Starting at the same place, you do Bobbin Head, Mt White, Berowra Waters, Galston Gorge then back to start, then you turn around and do Galston Gorge, Berowra Waters and Bobbin Head again in the opposite direction. Then you go back to the start and collapse in a heap :-) It is a semi-supported ride, as you must stay together in your group, plus they have checkpoints along the course where you can top up on water etc. There is also a free BBQ at the Start/Finish, and for those on the 165km ride you get to visit the start mid-ride for a good refuel.

For the Bobbin Head Classic, if the roads are not closed (and I doubt very much they are), and there is no support, I'd want to be sure all the of the $50 is going to charity. Otherwise you are just out there on your own like any other weekend ride. It is a pretty busy route through Bobbin Head on any weekend morning, so perhaps the regular riders might give Bobbin Head a wide berth when the classic is on.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm

I'll be riding, if i can pay cash on the day :-P
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Sounds good. Hope it doesn't rain on the day.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:13 pm

CommuRider wrote:Sounds good. Hope it doesn't rain on the day.
So over this rain :-(
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 am

queequeg wrote:You might want to consider doing the Bike North Century Challengeon April 29th then. Entry is free for Bike North Members (which is $35 for a year). You do 60, 100 or 165km courses in teams of 2 to 4 riders with staggered starts. Starting at Wahroonga Park, the 100km ride does Galston Gorge, Berowra Waters, Mt White, then Bobbin Head before returning to the start. If you are feeling a little more game, you can do the 165km course. Starting at the same place, you do Bobbin Head, Mt White, Berowra Waters, Galston Gorge then back to start, then you turn around and do Galston Gorge, Berowra Waters and Bobbin Head again in the opposite direction. Then you go back to the start and collapse in a heap :-) It is a semi-supported ride, as you must stay together in your group, plus they have checkpoints along the course where you can top up on water etc. There is also a free BBQ at the Start/Finish, and for those on the 165km ride you get to visit the start mid-ride for a good refuel.
Sounds interesting, I'll have a look.
queequeg wrote:For the Bobbin Head Classic, if the roads are not closed (and I doubt very much they are), and there is no support, I'd want to be sure all the of the $50 is going to charity. Otherwise you are just out there on your own like any other weekend ride. It is a pretty busy route through Bobbin Head on any weekend morning, so perhaps the regular riders might give Bobbin Head a wide berth when the classic is on.
I regularly ride though Bobbin Head on weekends, and you're right, it is quite busy. I've contacted the race organisers and there is a reasonable amount of support including Karuah Rd (start/finish) is closed, Frequent signs along route for motorists and cyclists, Marshals on descents to keep speeds down, Traffic control (not sure what this includes), regular drink stops and St Johns ambulance presence. As much as could be realistically hoped for I think. The $50 fee is not far different from the $35 for Bike North, and I've got no troubles supporting either group. I know the BN fee is for annual membership, but as I'm a member of another club it would realistically be the only ride of the year I'd end up doing with them.

Both the BH Cycle Classic and the BNCC rides are the sort that you and a mate could tackle any weekend without any fees and pretty much any noticeable difference, except the start/finish event atmosphere. But I'd still rather do both with the groups - as I said, more fun :)

Perhaps I'll do both 8)

Cheers,
Dave

BigBadWOLF

Postby BigBadWOLF » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:15 am

I remember this flyer at the end of Gong. As we never ride that part of sydney me and a mate will give this a go. but only the 50k
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

wombata

Postby wombata » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 pm

I too had an interest in this with similar questions to those listed above.

I submitted my questions on the area that caters for this on the website and have not received a reply, nothing.

If this is how the event is organised, it does not inspire confidence.....

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Gonna give it a crack, haven't ridden this part of the world yet so will be a bit of fun, normally ride from Prestons down to Mount Annan and pull a couple of runs up and down Old Razorback, then back home via Menangle and Campbelltown so hopefully the Old Razorback runs help!

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm

mr negativity again on the scene... i;m surprised they got this one passed by the local hwy patrol without closing off the national park roads. less than 2 lanes, no shoulder and sydneys second largest and busiest boat ramp in the middle... we ride that a lot and it can be hairy at the best of times... the rest of the ride is awesome and very safe. great cafe at calga too, though its usually infested with motorcyclists... :wink:

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm in for 100km - with work agreeing to pay it was a no brainer.

Did 111km today with a good crew, pretty much that route.

The fog was freaky, terrible visibility but otherwise a fantastic ride.

:D
JM

markz

Postby markz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Looking at their web site, it appears that the 100km route will be on the F3. Is this correct? Wouldn't the Old Pacific Hwy be better?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:58 am

markz wrote:Looking at their web site, it appears that the 100km route will be on the F3. Is this correct? Wouldn't the Old Pacific Hwy be better?
No way. At any rate, bikes aren't allowed to ride on the F3 north of the mt colah exit.

The route is through Bobbin head and onto the Pacific hwy. 50km turns around at Berowra and the 100km continues up the Pacific Hwy to Calga and back.

I've ended up registering for the 50km. I actually live right near the 50km turn around point, so I'll ride to Turramurra, do the 50km and then ride back, making it a total of 100km that way :mrgreen: May or may not attack Bobbin head on the way home though. 4 trips through Bobbin in one day might be pushing it :wink:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Finished the ride (50km, plus extra bits on either end). Nicely organised in general, not massive crowds (each group was capped at about 300 or so), but plenty enough to make it festive.

Will happily do it again next year!

Cheers,
Dave

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:43 pm

I did the 110, anybody else??? Bout 4 hrs 30 mins including a couple of stops for staged releases fown some descents. Was a great ride, much better than the gong ride!

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Nobody? We were obviously all too busy being heroes on the M7 I guess...? :roll:

stickgc

Postby stickgc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:27 pm

meridaman wrote:Nobody? We were obviously all too busy being heroes on the M7 I guess...? :roll:
Did I miss something? :?

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Stick, just a bit of a crack trying to get a bite from somebody, anybody! It just seems these rides don't tend to get too many takers off here?
:P

leximack

Postby leximack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:14 am

Why pick on only M7 riders?
Lots of other riders didnt go either. Maybe people dislike paying money to ride on roads you can ride for free and any day if the week.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

TimW

Postby TimW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:39 am

meridaman wrote:Nobody? We were obviously all too busy being heroes on the M7 I guess...? :roll:
Well that confims something for me :twisted:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 am

stickgc wrote:
Did I miss something? :?
Having a bad day :? :roll:
FPR Ragamuffin

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 am

There were at least two other competing events: Balmoral Swim for Children's Cancer Institute, and Kayak for Kids - the latter is where I was.

Workmates who tried to book into the Bobbin Head classic a few weeks ago found it booked out. So there's multiple reasons peeps here didn't get there.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia