Cleaning a chain

wannaberoadie

Cleaning a chain

Postby wannaberoadie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 am

Hi guys,

Interested in your thoughts on what you clean your chains with. I use mineral spirits on a rag and run the chain through my fingers. I told the LBS and they freak out about how that's bad for chains and your gear. Spending big bucks on a cleaning solution seems crazy.

What cleaning products do you use?

g-boaf

Re: Cleaning a chain

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

Torpedo7's degreaser is what I use. Had to take the chain off completely to clean it properly the first time.

And then re-lube the chain with Rock N Roll Gold.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:01 am

I hope you wear Nitrile gloves. I can't see mineral spirits being good for your skin/fingers.

Oh Yippy! A chain lube thread. Bacon Fat for me. It's the best.

Type of Chain Lubricants (Polls)

what degreaser do you use when cleaning your chain and cassette

Thanks "search"

Sheldons view
The bottom line is that the best products for cleaning and lubricating bicycle chains are the simplest and cheapest, kerosene or mineral spirits to clean, and chainsaw oil or foaming chain lube to lubricate. Don't waste money on fancy cleaners and lubricants.
This is how I clean my chain
The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 am

mitzikatzi wrote:This is how I clean my chain
The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Oh yeah! Hardcore! :mrgreen:

Bacon fat makes a great lube for two reasons. 1, you get to eat the bacon. 2, it improves your fitness immensely because you have to outsprint all the dogs that want to lick your chain. 8)

But seriously folks...

Connex link, kero, tub and an old toothbrush,. Scrub and swish. (filter and reuse the kero) Dribble Purple Extreme over the top and all is good.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 pm

3. Dogs lick chain. Voila clean chain :)
4. relube chain.

For a quick on bike chain clean this is the best method I have used.
Motorcycle Chain Cleaner and Degreaser
Last edited by mitzikatzi on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 pm

If there's another thing certain in life besides death & taxes - there is the recurrence of chain maintenance threads.
wannaberoadie wrote:Spending big bucks on a cleaning solution seems crazy.
It's not crazy to your LBS. "Profitable" is a better word, I'd say. Hence their feigned, though well practiced, horror.

Please, search and read on these and other forums. There's a myriad of difference techniques & potions (Both $$$ and DIY) for cleaning your chains all pretty well documented already. Read up, try a couple.... work out which ones best for you. Live and let live. Do unto others....

arrgh... it's like bringing up religion or politics at dinner parties.

time for a ride I think.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:42 pm

I've started using diesel, works brilliantly and is by far the cheapest Cleaning solution I've found, period

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Kero & small paint brush for those hard to get areas

parktool chain cleaning tool and a 5l bottle of degreaser from auto barn does the trick

re-lube with R&R Gold
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

arand18

Postby arand18 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I use inox lubricant to clean the chain and cassette then use rock n roll lube

mrs slocombe's pussy

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:16 pm

http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/maintenance/

you'll find that chain manufacturers do not recommend the use of degreasers, solvents etc as it removes the manufacturers original lubricant from the rollers. in effect you are flushing out superior lubricant and replacing it with an inferior product.

simply use a rag to wipe down the chain, apply lube, wait a few minutes for it to soak into the rollers and then wipe away any excess form the chain surface.

it shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes.

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 pm

citrus degreaser from super cheap and then R&R Gold to lube

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Citris degreaser seems silly when a simply solvent degrease does the job far better. Don't fall into the trap in thinking that citris degrease is somehow more natural or better for the environment.

A simple wipedown and relube is generally all thats needed. Though if you have a gunked up chain from half a decade of use on and off road then degreaser does wonders! :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Recent approach.... I don't clean it :shock: :wink:

Ride the chain on the original manufacturer's lube for as long as possible. When it gets dirty or begins to squeal/grind I wipe it clean with a rag then give it a dose of Purple Extreme lube (this lube does not attract dirt, stays on during wet conditions and lasts for ~600kms). You only need to apply this very sparingly . When it begins to grind again I repeat this process.. Been good on two rotated chains for the past 7000kms or so.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Recently purchased a can of that lightning cleaning thing (sorry can't remember exact name). It literally took less than a few minutes to melt the grime and gunk off the cassette/chain and dried within seconds.

However I had to use the whole can and at $20 a can, it'll be super expensive to keep it up. So while nice, I might just stick to the traditional cleaning methods :wink:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:58 pm

il padrone wrote:Recent approach.... I don't clean it :shock: :wink:
*SNIP*
Been good on two rotated chains for the past 7000kms or so.
What black magic is this? my chains only last me 5000km and I think I take great care of it...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:53 pm

usernameforme wrote:What black magic is this? my chains only last me 5000km and I think I take great care of it...
Two things:

1. 7000kms divided by two chains = ~3500kms each. I reckon I might get 6-7000kms each, more if I want to run the drivetrain till it's toast.
2. Running on a Rohloff IGH so no shift-related wear
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm

wannaberoadie wrote:Hi guys,

Interested in your thoughts on what you clean your chains with. I use mineral spirits on a rag and run the chain through my fingers. I told the LBS and they freak out about how that's bad for chains and your gear. Spending big bucks on a cleaning solution seems crazy.

What cleaning products do you use?
I havn't "cleaned" my chain since changing to the Rock N Roll oils.

With this stuff, you put it on until its dripping off the chain, then you wipe off as much as you possibly can. Clean and lube done in the one go - it works so well that even when I wash the bike I don't bother to get the kero and my paint brush out to clean the chain with.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:03 pm

human909 wrote:Citris degreaser seems silly when a simply solvent degrease does the job far better. Don't fall into the trap in thinking that citris degrease is somehow more natural or better for the environment.

A simple wipedown and relube is generally all thats needed. Though if you have a gunked up chain from half a decade of use on and off road then degreaser does wonders! :D
the environment is the least of my concerns, I use the citrus as I dont want a harsh degreaser to ruin the paint on my bike

kb

Cleaning a chain

Postby kb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

liquor box wrote: the environment is the least of my concerns, I use the citrus as I dont want a harsh degreaser to ruin the paint on my bike
This is going to sound strange but I find I get less mozzies around the bike with citrus degreaser.

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:01 pm

liquor box wrote:the environment is the least of my concerns, I use the citrus as I dont want a harsh degreaser to ruin the paint on my bike
Which any basic hydrocarbon solvent won't!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm

jacks1071 wrote: With this stuff, you put it on until its dripping off the chain, then you wipe off as much as you possibly can.
That's just wasting it. Should take no more than 2 ml - or roughly 1 drop every two or three links, less if just re-oiling
rather than starting from a cleaned chain.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

zero

Postby zero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 pm

wombatK wrote:
jacks1071 wrote: With this stuff, you put it on until its dripping off the chain, then you wipe off as much as you possibly can.
That's just wasting it. Should take no more than 2 ml - or roughly 1 drop every two or three links, less if just re-oiling
rather than starting from a cleaned chain.

Cheers
Unfortunately I've suffered from speedo failures that interrupted my experimental chain lifespans, but there seems to be no real drawback in terms of lifespan for chain caring for this way for one of my frequently wet in commuting chains, and its a hell of a lot less fussy than removing and kerobathing a chain. RRG doesn't crud up particularly thickly and the process gets rid of a lot of it, and leaves the chain well lubed.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Sometimes I'll clean the cassette with a brush and a little degreeso, never, never, never on the chain. Just a good hard rub with a clean dry rag until its shiny and then your favourite lube, wipe off excess and all done.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:05 pm

liquor box wrote:
human909 wrote:Citris degreaser seems silly when a simply solvent degrease does the job far better. Don't fall into the trap in thinking that citris degrease is somehow more natural or better for the environment.

the environment is the least of my concerns, I use the citrus as I dont want a harsh degreaser to ruin the paint on my bike
Citrius degreaser is nasty stuff, I wouldn't put it anywhere near my bike.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

markrhino

Postby markrhino » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm

$1 stain remover spray from local supermarket. Spray on, wait 5 minutes, wipe off, re-lube, done.