Western Australia - Perth hills MTB ride on single track

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Western Australia - Perth hills MTB ride on single track

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 am

Edit: Go to the end of the thread. We are now talking about going on 17th of August.

Following a discussion in another thread, I threatened to get a MTB ride together, mainly so I can meet gsxrboy's new ride! ;)

So, who wants to get together for a MTB ride? When and where do we want to do it?

Mundaring area (the Dell) or Jarrahdale (Langford Park) are my favourite haunts, but I'm willing to see new places.

My next few weekends are a little busy, but I'll try to squeeze it in.

Cheers,
Graeme
Last edited by Kalgrm on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 am

Graeme

I'll be up for it mate - and open to suggestion. My XTC1 has been out the last 5 weekends (which was at week +10 after my collar bone break) and loving it. First few weeks were pretty tame, but I'm gradually gaining confidence on a beast completely different than the road machines.

I did Carinyah the weekend before last and enjoyed it, and the Railway reserve 40k loop via Swanview/Mundaring/Mt St Helens yesterday.

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:01 pm

G'day

My weekends are tight through to the end of July but if I can make it I will be in for sure. Jarrahadale or Carrinyah appeal to me.

Andrew

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:39 pm

The next 3 weekends are pretty much out for me, but after that I am pretty free. Amazing how much my fitness has fallen away in the last two months. I logged 1000 road kms in March and only 400 since and I really felt it on Sunday riding Daisy around for the first time, and that was only the 14km Carinyah trail ! .. goodess me, so I call myself a girlie whimp currently :P

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 am

I at this stage will be out of town down in Bunbury the weekend of the 28th June - hopefully getting some riding in down there as well around Welly Dam.

I'm on call 50% of the time. Normally it's not a big deal and I can bulldust my way through it over the phone - if there's coverage of course ;)

I don't suppose everyone will be able to make any given date or venue - but we can only but try.
--

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am

True - we can't please everyone.

So, some possible dates that work for me (at the moment):

Sat, 28/06/08 and Sun, 29/06/08
Sat, 5/07/08 and Sun, 6/7/08
Sat, 12/07/08 and Sun, 13/07/08

Once we get a few names and dates correlated, I'll make a poll at the start of this thread.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 pm

I'll have to confer with the Minister for Planning before I can commit to a date at this stage.

Just to keep the ball rolling, can we get a few more details up in this thread about the possible/suggested locations? I'm talking Google map links so that we can plan a route out there, suss out parking, estimate travel time etc. Also, is it possible to get trail maps with distances that might help determine what's doable for people of different fitness/skill levels.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:52 pm

cray- wrote:Just to keep the ball rolling, can we get a few more details up in this thread about the possible/suggested locations? I'm talking Google map links so that we can plan a route out there, suss out parking, estimate travel time etc.
+1

I'm still learning the whereabouts of tracks myself. So far the places I've been have just those linked from the DPI website. I was hoping when I finally get to hook up with you guys I might get to learn some paths less beaten eg. more single track sorta stuff, closer to Perth

Probably strictly a bit of a no-no - but once I finished Carinyah the weekend before last me and the two mates I was with went and blazed a few trails within the loop itself. There's a few light/old tracks here and there. It's hard to get lost if you stayed within the loop, as well. Whilst I appreciate respecting the environment - there already was a lot of crap in way of car bodies, water tanks and litter we came across within the perimeter of the loop - so I don't think we were disturbing any pristine wilderness by any means.
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Kalgrm wrote:True - we can't please everyone.

So, some possible dates that work for me (at the moment):

Sat, 28/06/08 and Sun, 29/06/08
I am okay for Saturday June 28, 2008 if early. The other dates are out for me, either in Singapore or in Darwin.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:44 pm

cray- wrote:Just to keep the ball rolling, can we get a few more details up in this thread about the possible/suggested locations? I'm talking Google map links so that we can plan a route out there, suss out parking, estimate travel time etc. Also, is it possible to get trail maps with distances that might help determine what's doable for people of different fitness/skill levels.
There are too many options still open to be setting the location. If the only people who can make it are all beginners, we won't be going to the hard tracks. If they are all experienced, we'll look for something more challenging.

However, somewhere like Langford Park in Jarrahdale can accommodate all levels of skill, so that's looking good in my book.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 pm

When you coming to Melbourne again Graeme so I can show you Doongalla and Upper Beaky? Don't think I'll be making it to Perth any time soon :(

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:29 am

No idea Tony. Hopefully before the end of the year, but it's not likely.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:15 pm

I (beginner) wouldn't mind giving Langford Park a go, not available till after the June dates though

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:23 pm

+1 for Langford Park then

Haven't been there yet myself. Still learning = still a beginner :)
--

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Okay, looks like time for a poll. The front runner is 28th June, morning, at this stage.

Edit: Poll added.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:43 pm

I have a nice guest staying that week that will command my full attention, so I voted the 5th July Saturday. I might get a chance to demo it tomorrow.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:06 pm

:shock:
too many options with too few takers?
--

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Langford Park questions :-

a) The usual start point is to the right (which was blocked off today) of the big roundabout as indicated and not up the yukko gravel path into the boondies where it was all sign posted for the 6hr today?
b) The 6hr track which I did a part of today inadvertently, and in reverse, is indicative or more hardcore than the usual "outer" 17km track? That distance I didn't get close to today btw !
c) Tyre pressures! any recommendations?

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Of course the first date is next weekend which is my 1 in 3 roster weekend. I'll talk to a mate at work and see if he can cover me for a few hours (again). Langford Park will be something new as I've only really ridden the Carinyah Trail and the previous outing at The Dell.

As I have a brand new Orbea Sherpa that wants to taste some dirt, I will see about getting out and joining in one or some of these rides.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Double-Gee wrote:Of course the first date is next weekend which is my 1 in 3 roster weekend.
Actually, it's the weekend after next.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:02 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
Double-Gee wrote:Of course the first date is next weekend which is my 1 in 3 roster weekend.
Actually, it's the weekend after next.
I do so know what I think I thought about before I wrote what I thought I thinked, I think? :?: :?: :?:

The weekend of the 28th is my roster weekend, but because I can't confirm, I will raise my hand and say that Sat 28th, 8am is my preferred choice.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:32 pm

I voted 28th, although the 8am start is gonna be hard work. Weekend of 5th/6th is no go due to anniversary :shock: I guess we plan for a second meeting in mid to late July for those that can't do June.

Location doesn't bother me, as long as I have details on exactly where to go. Skill level wise, well it's been quite a long time since I've hit the dirt; probably highschool years [late 90's] and although I have had the mtb for awhile, it's pretty much only seen urban use.

So any ideas as to what type of distance we'll be covering? Is a single bidden of water enough or will this require a backpack full of supplies?

What about tubes and a pump? On the road I prefer to stay simple and light, only carry my phone, smartrider, a credit card and a few allen keys. Which is fine around town, I can call for a ride home or walk to the nearest train station. Not gonna be much good out in the bush though. Hhhhrrrrmmmm.....

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Did the July options get added to the poll since it was first made? I don't remember seeing them. Looks like HappyHumbler is right "too many options with too few takers?"

The weekend is drawing nearer but this thread has gone a bit quiet. As mentioned above, I voted for the 28th, but it looks to be wet this weekend so I'm happy to postpone to a later date. Can't take back my vote and recast though.....what's everyone else think?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:57 pm

The July options were always there.

So who's interested in going out early Saturday, and do you mind if we postpone for weather?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Well.. I'm out for this weekend. C'est la cookie crumbles etc.

Maybe next time.

Off down south to Capel for a big bonfire Saturday, and takin' Monday off to do some bush bashing in the hills between Collie & Bunbury.

Have fun those who manage to make it this weekend.

Kymbo
--