lube lube lube

Rex

Re: Type of Chain Lubricants (Polls)

Postby Rex » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
Rex wrote: so what are you going to/using?
Bought a bottle of Purple Extreme a while ago and been using that. Excellent stuff lasts 400-600 km/hr.
More recently I impulse purchased some Morgan Blue oil as I didn't want to wait overnight and this is also excellent.

I'm slightly preferring the Morgan Blue, but I haven't done enough km's with it to test it's lastability. Chain sounds and feels amazing but. Easier to apply and easier to source (can get it locally)

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 am

Morgan Blue (Course)
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Thoglette wrote:Never mind, I am doing my mea cuplas and melting paraffin as I type to lube my new chain the proper way.
Re did the lube yesterday - chain still had a coating of That Black Dust(tm) which chains get. I got really lazy and lay the chain down in a shallow dish, popped the block of wax on top and whacked the whole lot into the oven at 90C for an hour or so. Dirt sank to the bottom, chain came out clean(er), a quick wipe down and back on the bike before it had cooled. Shallow dish is back on the shelf waiting for next time.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

zues

Postby zues » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Thoglette,
Have you tried Slick 50 or do you use straight paraffin? I have used a mixture of paraffin and beeswax thats OK but the chain develops rust over winter.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 pm

zues wrote:Hi Thoglette,
Have you tried Slick 50 or do you use straight paraffin? I have used a mixture of paraffin and beeswax thats OK but the chain develops rust over winter.
As lazy as always I just grabbed a handful of candles and melted them down. I do expect that there's a portion of beeswax in there, given the nature of some of the candles.

The main driver for me re-waxing was seeing just a touch of rust on the outside edges of some links - probably where the wax struggles hardest to hang on.

With the tray-in-the-oven method it is so unbelievably easy (and safe) that I'll probably re-wax more often.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 pm

anyone tried using 'motocycle' chain lube? ive got a can of motul chain lube sitting on the shelf, thought i might give it a whirl

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm

jaseyjase wrote:anyone tried using 'motocycle' chain lube? ive got a can of motul chain lube sitting on the shelf, thought i might give it a whirl
Isn't that stuff supposed to be too thick?

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 pm

I started using the morgan blue syn lube last week, handled last sundays wet quite well
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Finishline ceramic for me
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:10 pm

jaseyjase wrote:anyone tried using 'motocycle' chain lube? ive got a can of motul chain lube sitting on the shelf, thought i might give it a whirl
Molasses in a can.... Very low viscosity and dries to a tacky / elastic finish on the chain allowing dirt / debris to stick like the proverbial to a blanket. Just the thing for motocycle chains that spin very fast and fling off anything other than a sticky lube but horrid on a light weight bike chain in my experience..... :oops:
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:23 pm

+1, sure makes a mess on a tredley
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Thoglette wrote:With the tray-in-the-oven method it is so unbelievably easy (and safe) that I'll probably re-wax more often.
Thought the bike chain was a bit noisy. Horrified to discover I'd run the bike for 990km between waxing :oops: So much for "more often"

0candles

Postby 0candles » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Rock n Roll Miracle Red 1:4 parts hot water to get the gunk and the grit out with the Park Tools chain cleaner then wipe thoroughly clean with and old piece of towel before the FInishline dry wax for our relatively dry Perth Climate. When Its wet I've used everything from Finishline wet to 3 in 1 household oil from Bunnings. A guy I know who used to be a Cyclocross mech just washed it in Diesel fuel and that was it!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Thoglette wrote:The main driver for me re-waxing was seeing just a touch of rust on the outside edges of some links.
Only on the edge ?? Soft :P

The chains I use are usually nickel plated side-plates so rust there is extremely unusual. But after a wet winter ride the rollers can often look quite rusty if the chain gets dry of lube. This is simply rubbed off with a bit of lube and some running though.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Inox for attack, White Lightning for defence

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 pm

0candles wrote:3 in 1 household oil from Bunnings. A guy I know who used to be a Cyclocross mech just washed it in Diesel fuel and that was it!
In the wet!! :shock:

That stuff runs away and hides under a rock at the sight of rain...... leaving you with a chain-full of canaries :(

mick243

Postby mick243 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm a big fan of wet lubes, and cleaning often - rather than trying to make a "dry" lube last....

a while back I came across a supply of the same stuff the army use to lube thier rifles with - "CLP" they call it, or OX-18 / PX/18 to the rest of us. it makes a great chain lube - but it IS messy. its also waterproof run your chain through mud if you like, and still no canaries.

I'm currently trying out another product called "TW25" which is a teflon based grease - the one I have is an aerosol version thinned with isopropyl alcohol - it cleans niceley as you spray on, almost dries, and is waterproof - the US navy use it for all sorts of stuff where its exposed to salt water spray... it turns up on line (AT) ebay occasionally, no idea where you'd find it on a shelf - maybe gun shops?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:28 am

CLP. Do you mean Frog Lube?

mick243

Postby mick243 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 am

dunno about that - the stuff I was given many moons ago was called "OX-18" - which I cant find a reference to, but was called my my army mates "CLP"

like this http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/9150-01-054-6453.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems to be available at some shooting stores as "break free" (I wont need any for a while - I was given a 5lt bottle)

but this stuff is what I'm playing with now http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/TW25B- ... y-p563.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I see now. CLP just means Cleaner, Lubricate and Preservative. I have seen Froglube recommended on other US based forums.

mick243

Postby mick243 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 pm

it very well may be a different brand of the same stuff....

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Thoglette wrote:As lazy as always I just grabbed a handful of candles and melted them down. I do expect that there's a portion of beeswax in there, given the nature of some of the candles.
The main driver for me re-waxing was seeing just a touch of rust on the outside edges of some links - probably where the wax struggles hardest to hang on.
With the tray-in-the-oven method it is so unbelievably easy (and safe) that I'll probably re-wax more often.
Update - some three thousand kilometers later (and a re-wax every 500 to 750km) still travelling fine.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Super thread rez.

Using Chain-L here.... 1750km's so far and only just starting to get a little noisy.

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
bemper wrote:Hi Shaun,

Can you tell me why you moved from RnR (gold or other) to Purple Extreme? Purple Extreme is darn expensive (twice as much from phantomcycles). So I have to justify to use it.

What sort of cycling style are you?

Thanks
G'Day Bemper......

So far, the only bike that doesn't have a few hundred kms with Purple Extreme is the MTB, down to lack of opportunity :( The Kona has the highest mileage so far at well over 500 and is still clean and quiet.
Doesn't seem to be as much jockey wheel encrustation either. :D

Cheers
Shaun

Come on Pete, jump in and help me convince the bloke. :D
S
Yep, that Purple Extreme costs a few bucks, but now having done around 2000 kms on two bikes using it I can say it's the best lube I've used. No crud build-up, the chain has stayed clean and dry of black lube. The lube has stayed on in some wet condtions and doesn't gather lots of dust or dirt on gravel roads. After ~ 4 months I have used about 1/4 of a bottle so I'm happy with spending $14 more per year than other lubes to keep my chains like this.
Where do you buy it from tried getting it a while back but all the online stalls I looked at were out of stock.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Where do you buy it from tried getting it a while back but all the online stalls I looked at were out of stock.
Dirt Works have a new shipment on the way but they took there order Web site down due to no stock.

Ricky