Re: Keep Faggin...or Restoration Australia for bikes

Postby familyguy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:35 am

Turned out great.

uart

Postby uart » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:55 am

Jean wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:15 pm
Man, that's come up so nice that I'd say you've got no choice - Keep Faggin'. ;)

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:45 pm

Thanks all, I'm very happy with it, I must say. I took it for my first proper ride this morning. It's a great thing to ride. It fits me well (the stem length and other measurements being the right choices), and there's nothing weird in the geometry.

It rides like you'd expect a good steel frame to ride, and the c.2010 Centaur is a great groupset that I wouldn't trade lightly, despite it being over a decade old. The advantage over my steel Colossi is the head tube angle, which was relatively slack as far as road frames go. It meant I ran a longer stem than usual and the handling in the turn, while certainly not bad, never felt quite right. Something I'd noted when I got on my Time, which just felt right from the start. The Faggin feels the same despite an equally long stem - just right.

It's pleasing to be back on 26mm bars too - 31.8mm alu bars are too harsh IMO.

The bad - well, I had some wheel slip in the rear drop-outs. Bugger. Those semi-horizontal drop-outs and the shiny chromed finish, I suppose. I'll have to try to rough up the chrome a tad, and maybe look at some other skewers. Sheldon Brown contends internal cam skewers clamp with more force than an external clamp. I'm not sure, but it may be worth a go. Failing that, there's an expensive DT Swiss, kind of semi-rachet, option.

Oh, and that metallic paint looks freakin' awesome in the early morning sun. :D

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Jean wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:45 pm
Sheldon Brown contends internal cam skewers clamp with more force than an external clamp. I'm not sure, but it may be worth a go.
He's right. There is a marked difference. The problem with external cam skewers is that they have a plastic/rubber bush which compresses and "absorbs" some of the clamping force.

There's a thread on here about that topic, which I responded to in 2015. After many miles on vintage steel frames, I still stand by my comment: viewtopic.php?t=83207
Jean wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:45 pm
Oh, and that metallic paint looks freakin' awesome in the early morning sun. :D
Yeah, I bet it does. Well done. 8) It's nice when a bike just feels right.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:01 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:44 pm
There's a thread on here about that topic, which I responded to in 2015. After many miles on vintage steel frames, I still stand by my comment: viewtopic.php?t=83207
Yeah, Shimano or Campag (inc Fulcrum) seem pretty much about it for internal cam. I might go to the local bike recycle joint later in the week and see if I can pick up an old Shimano skewer for a bit of a trial, before I stump up for something new and shiny (or maybe old and shiny from the bay or something).

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:39 pm

Jean wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:01 pm
rkelsen wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:44 pm
There's a thread on here about that topic, which I responded to in 2015. After many miles on vintage steel frames, I still stand by my comment: https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... hp?t=83207
Yeah, Shimano or Campag (inc Fulcrum) seem pretty much about it for internal cam. I might go to the local bike recycle joint later in the week and see if I can pick up an old Shimano skewer for a bit of a trial, before I stump up for something new and shiny (or maybe old and shiny from the bay or something).

A rummage through the 'spare skewer box' at a LBS produced a modern Mavic skewer which seemed the best option as it had an internal cam, matched the hub reasonably well, and had steel facings on the clamp areas. It's worked a treat and the wheel remained firmly in place this morning. Now I need a matching skewer for the front. :lol:

So that's more or less project complete, for now. After a few proper rides, I can't see why this won't be a keeper, so a proper paint job, and maybe a few other things, will have to be considered.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:36 am

Well done.

Just keep riding and enjoying it !!