Beach Rd on the weekends?

Bluejay87

Re: Beach Rd on the weekends?

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Small ring around town and you B grade? .
Lol are we really say you have to ride in the big ring on commutes to be a b grader?

Granted I'm only in C grade, but I always ride in the small ring (34) on my commutes because my commutes are always easy and even in the small ring I can comfortably get up to 35kmh and higher on the flats.

I only use the big ring in races and I actually used the small ring for my d grade debut in a breakaway from the very start to the finish to take the win. I do like to spin quick, but not excessively so.

SuperSix

Postby SuperSix » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Rule #90 // Never Get Out of the Big Ring. If it gets steeper, just push harder on the pedals. When pressed on the matter, the Apostle Johan Museeuw simply replied, “Yes, why would you slow down?” It is, of course, acceptable to momentarily shift into the inner ring when scaling the 20% ramps of the Kapelmuur.
Read more on Velominati: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:50 pm

fat and old wrote:

P.S.......you're comments on relationships give you away a little. :wink:
Can you elaborate? Must have missed Zill's relationship advice

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:41 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote: Small ring around town and you B grade? Unless you commuter weights 50kg, then you are not a B grader. Heck I can ride a single speed around town very comfrotably (46/16) and I am C/D grade.
Maybe that is why you are still in C/D grade? I commute fixed but only 42/16... I race A grade on the track and CX, last time on road I was still rolling around in B but haven't bothered racing road for a few years... :wink:

There is benefit of riding your hard sessions hard but easy sessions easy. Too many people ride in the mushy middle. Too easy for adaptions but too hard all the time to recover properly. 8)
Derny Driver wrote:
dalai47 wrote:
There is benefit of riding your hard sessions hard but easy sessions easy. Too many people ride in the mushy middle. Too easy for adaptions but too hard all the time to recover properly. 8)
Agree. Average speeds are no indication of ability. I know a guy who rides NRS and he trains most ofr the time at 24kph. He does big k's and does other efforts but that is his normal cruising speed.
Not hard to have a low average especially if you are stop-starting at lots of red lights.

Thanks dalai and DD. As Joe Friel says 'Train hard but rest harder!'.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 pm

danny the boy wrote:If this a troll thread I take my hat off because there is no way I could make this kind of stuff up.
A strong indication that it's all true :D

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:
Small ring around town and you B grade? .
Lol are we really say you have to ride in the big ring on commutes to be a b grader?

Granted I'm only in C grade, but I always ride in the small ring (34) on my commutes because my commutes are always easy and even in the small ring I can comfortably get up to 35kmh and higher on the flats.

I only use the big ring in races and I actually used the small ring for my d grade debut in a breakaway from the very start to the finish to take the win. I do like to spin quick, but not excessively so.
Maybe a bit off topic but from your username and posts, I get the impression that you are a young smallish (in stature) guy. Is that correct? What is your weight and height out of curiosity? Are you a good climber.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
fat and old wrote:

P.S.......you're comments on relationships give you away a little. :wink:
Can you elaborate? Must have missed Zill's relationship advice
No advice that I saw, more a lack of experience. nothing wrong with that....depending on your age....

Oh...and it's your. Not you're. Giving away my moronity there :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Back on topic though, the only way to prove you can ride is to pin on a number and go and race other people in a proper race. What you can do on Beach road, a strava segment, or on a trainer doesnt mean a thing.

I really think there is another way at least at the club level. Everybody do a time trial on a standard climb that is not too steep like the 1 in 20. Then the ranking of the times would give a strong indication of the grade you should be riding in (at least for a relatively hilly course like the Hawthorne Crit).

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:05 pm

dalai47 wrote:
That isn't the point of this post. The OP is intentionally wanting to ride Beach road and race people who aren't in a race...

That's because this is the only alternative to establish some sort of weekly/regular racing scenario/situation. I don't want to spend 4 hours (to and back) to get to a Northern Combine course or other road races as I don't drive.

Off course things will be different in the summer.

However, my experiences so far has been above expectations even during non peak Beach rd riding times.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:08 pm

It would only grade those up up the 1 in 20 and give no indication on how they would handle the old Hawthorn crit circuit...

I've placed a few times in B at Hawthorn, but my best up the 1 in 20 is only just under 16 minutes. Being able to manage a short intense burst up the short climb then recover over the back before rinse and repeat another 20+ times it totally different from an effort of a longer gradual climb of the 1 in 20...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:09 pm

zill wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
Back on topic though, the only way to prove you can ride is to pin on a number and go and race other people in a proper race. What you can do on Beach road, a strava segment, or on a trainer doesnt mean a thing.

I really think there is another way at least at the club level. Everybody do a time trial on a standard climb that is not too steep like the 1 in 20. Then the ranking of the times would give a strong indication of the grade you should be riding in (at least for a relatively hilly course like the Hawthorne Crit).
I'm not a racer, so I might look stupid asking..

Isn't that pretty much what happens? You enter a race anywhere, and your performance determines what grade you are?

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Zill why don't you do some bunch rides? They'll typically have a kom or sprint to do some quasi racing

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:16 pm

dalai47 wrote: I've placed a few times in B at Hawthorn, but my best up the 1 in 20 is only just under 16 minutes.

Maybe back then, crits were not as competitive?

There was a thread here before and people were saying average speeds have increased over recent years and field sizes have grown a lot.

Maybe a safer statement is to say that if you can do really well in the 1 in 20 such as mid to low 14s then you are definitely in A grade (provided you can ride in a group and have good bike handling skills).

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:Zill why don't you do some bunch rides? They'll typically have a kom or sprint to do some quasi racing
Don't like to meet at a strict place and time. Would much prefer to rock up whenever suits and hopefully 'bump' into some strong riders. Also I would much rather ride away from people and stay away, if possible.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Bigger fields means you can keep your nose out of the wind more...

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 pm

dalai47 wrote:Bigger fields means you can keep your nose out of the wind more...
But potentially more attacks so more accelerations.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Which is why race average speeds have little relevance.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:19 pm

zill wrote: Maybe a safer statement is to say that if you can do really well in the 1 in 20 such as mid to low 14s then you are definitely in A grade (provided you can ride in a group and have good bike handling skills).
No mate. There is no direct correlation between a rider's power numbers, or Strava times, and their race gradings.
2 examples
a) my son did a wattbike test with the local Academy of sport and was not offered a spot due to his numbers. Of the 12 riders who were placed in the squad not one of them has ever beaten him in a race and most of them have quit the sport due to unfulfilled expectations and disappointments.
b) a mate of mine has extremely impressive power figures but has seldom won a race and has even failed to finish some State events despite training solidly and 'having the numbers'.

A race is a race. So much more at play than watts.
Even up a hill.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 pm

zill wrote: Maybe a bit off topic but from your username and posts, I get the impression that you are a young smallish (in stature) guy. Is that correct? What is your weight and height out of curiosity? Are you a good climber.
Not sure what makes you think that - I am exactly the opposite. Fat, tall and old (my body is shot from very other sports where I was very competitive). I would say my climbing is average for my weight (85kg).

I get the recovery rides, but running a small chain ring around Melbourne is pretty serious. Please tell me it's at least a standard crank (39t).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:04 pm

zill wrote:
defy1 wrote: 80kph was a strava error but you BELIEVED it was correct.
Shows that I also usually don't pedal hard downhill hence the lower average speed. Also this makes sense as when I do pedal hard downhill, don't have a good intuition of the speed I am able to achieve hence my error in judgement.
yes you have very bad intuition of speed. Definitely not the intuition of an experienced seasoned B grade rider.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
zill wrote: Maybe a bit off topic but from your username and posts, I get the impression that you are a young smallish (in stature) guy. Is that correct? What is your weight and height out of curiosity? Are you a good climber.
Not sure what makes you think that - I am exactly the opposite. Fat, tall and old (my body is shot from very other sports where I was very competitive). I would say my climbing is average for my weight (85kg).

I get the recovery rides, but running a small chain ring around Melbourne is pretty serious. Please tell me it's at least a standard crank (39t).
Didn't think you would be that old since you were asking questions about having kids?

As for recovery rides, try riding 100km of hills while racing people on the road then another 80km the next day also racing people including sprints and time trails. Have you ever done that? You'd feel very drained on the third day.

In the summer I was racing crits on consecutive days including riding there and back, all up nearly 200km in two days. The third day would be in the small chain ring. My commuter happens to have a compact crank. If I had the choice, would not ride at all but I have to travel to work.
Last edited by zill on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:17 pm

defy1 wrote: Definitely not the intuition of an experienced seasoned B grade rider.
Don't want to be either. Want to get into A grade ASAP :lol:

Although whether it happens is another question as I'm feeling the stresses of hard riding. Hence recovery is even more important. I was injured for two months earlier in the year for riding too hard and too much in one day.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

zill wrote: As for recovery rides, try riding 100km of hills while racing people on the road then another 80km the next day also racing people including sprints and time trails. Have you ever done that? You'd feel very drained on the third day.
Firstly I hope you don't mean beach road hills. Secondly. not exactly that, but yes I have done some hard rides (enduro mtb) no I didn't feel the need to use a 34t chain ring around Melbourne ever. That's hauling my heavy ass body with a cardio ability of a d grader with beers each night.

I would say that if you absolutely can't manage a slow easy ride in a 50t chain ring around flat Melbourne, then either you should really think about actually recovering properly (i.e. not using it as transport) or you're mistaken again (80kph...?). I don't think I've ever been that bad that I can't comfortably push a 50t chain ring around flat Melbourne. Heck I rode about 30km of the dirty gran fondo with whole leg cramps which absolutely destroyed my legs leaving them stupid sore, even then I could still ride slowly and easily in a 50t. 34t ring only gets used when there is a gradient.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

cameronp

Postby cameronp » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 pm

zill wrote:Don't want to be either. Want to get into A grade ASAP :lol:
Why do you think that "racing" people on Beach Rd is a better way to prefer yourself for this than actually racing at lower levels?

zill

Postby zill » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Firstly I hope you don't mean beach road hills. Secondly. not exactly that, but yes I have done some hard rides (enduro mtb) no I didn't feel the need to use a 34t chain ring around Melbourne ever. That's hauling my heavy ass body with a cardio ability of a d grader with beers each night.

Firstly, hills as in Kinglake hills (Beach rd is on the second day). Secondly, the major reason why I would ride in a small chain ring is so that the next day I am fully recovered and able to go hard again at near 100%. I could use the large chain ring on my rest day but I want to make sure that I take it EASY on my rest days. It might be psychological as well because if I was in my big chain ring, I would subconsciously pedal harder than whats optimal.

However, after doing two crits on consecutive days then you really are burnt out. Once I tried four 2 minute intervals on the third day after two days of crits in a row and it really didn't feel right. There was still some power there in the first few intervals but it's like being sleep deprived two days in a row. You don't want to deprive yourself on the third day.