What tyres should I get

Mitso

What tyres should I get

Postby Mitso » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm

TLDR: I use a MTB used for commuting thru a path covered in loose leaf litter and I need a tyre with minimal rolling resistance but still good grip over the loose surface. Thanks. :D

I ride my bike to uni thru a national Park on a shared path I'm an experienced bike rider but have always rode a MTB with good downhill tyres and never explored past what worked however now it has been retired as a MTB and used as a commuter, on the rear I have a schwalbe marathon tyre as the bike is now electric and difficult to change away from home and this tyre has served very well for being very resilient although not so grippy and tends to lock up slide but it serves well for what it is, however on the front I just checked what I had which is a cat c963, it was the least rolling resistant tyre that I have collected off the side of the road, but here is my issue, the shared path often gets covered in loose leaf litter and there is a river crossing that often goes below water level and gets covered in sand, mixed with sharp hairpin corners and downhill makes for a lot of fun (honestly a really good ride) but also causes the front to lose grip and try to collapse under Neath me, so the question is what tyre would be best for grip, should I just use a MTB trial tyre or are there alternatives designed for this, thanks in advanced.

10speedsemiracer

Re: What tyres should I get

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:26 am

I would suggest something with a file tread may be the answer.
I commuterise a few MTBs for people, and depending on the surface I usually fit Schwalbes however your terrain may need something like these Vittoria Revolution :

I fitted these in 26x1,9 (I think) on a Giant Upland a while ago and it seemed like the perfect compromise of fast roll with decent grip whilst not being Schwalbe expensive.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go