Transporting e-bikes on airlines

ColinOldnCranky

Transporting e-bikes on airlines

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 am

Airlines have restrictions on carriage of batteries. For example, last time I travelled QANTAS any battery had to be less than 100AH and had to be carried in the cabin and NOT in the hold.

My daughter, whose work takes her to other cities and to other countries has to make alternative arrangements for the carriage of her electric scooter. Back-loading on friendly trucks or just leaving it home and buying a new one in each place for the duration.

I'm curious on the experiences e-riders. How do you get around it?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Re: Transporting e-bikes on airlines

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:22 am

E-bikes are explicitly banned under IATA rules, there is no way around it.
I’m aware of one fellow e-biker who claims he took his e-bike on a flight to Tasmania by simply not declaring it, but I consider this extremely risky given there is a substantial fine for false declarations, you could be booted off the flight, and possibly the e-bike confiscated if it was detected.
Perhaps an e-scooter would raise greater suspicion than an e-bike. I don’t know.
I have been told there are some bike shops in NZ that have batteries for hire (for e-bikes with external batteries).
I’m considering using my e-bike for a Sydney- Brisbane ride, taking the bike on the XPT (train) to Sydney.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 am

RonK wrote:E-bikes are explicitly banned under IATA rules, there is no way around it.
I’m aware of one fellow e-biker who claims he took his e-bike on a flight to Tasmania by simply not declaring it, but I consider this extremely risky given there is a substantial fine for false declarations, you could be booted off the flight, and possibly the e-bike confiscated if it was detected.
Perhaps an e-scooter would raise greater suspicion than an e-bike. I don’t know.
I have been told there are some bike shops in NZ that have batteries for hire (for e-bikes with external batteries).
I’m considering using my e-bike for a Sydney- Brisbane ride, taking the bike on the XPT (train) to Sydney.
Ron, would those IATA restrictions apply to batteries on all aircraft, or just passenger aircraft?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm

I think it is possible to ship some batteries as cargo, subject to strict regulations about packaging and labeling. The IATA rules are difficult to understand.
The best bet would be to contact a shipping company such as DHL. They should be able to interpret the regulations and explain their requirements for battery shipment.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm

My new Go-e OnWheel Kickstarter friction drive kit (3.2kg total with battery) made in Austria, uses a 198Wh battery with removable fusable link to reduce it to two batteries of 95Wh each so they could use certified postage to their global customers, with benefit people making air travel have the documents you receive with it to be something of substance when "no" is the safer option by untrained staff.

There is technology for contact assembly and disassembly but seems experimental for DIY use, material fatigue and resistance to be managed. A liable product manufacturer does not have the incentive to offer it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am

eldavo wrote:My new Go-e OnWheel Kickstarter friction drive kit (3.2kg total with battery) made in Austria, uses a 198Wh battery with removable fusable link to reduce it to two batteries of 95Wh each so they could use certified postage to their global customers, with benefit people making air travel have the documents you receive with it to be something of substance when "no" is the safer option by untrained staff.

There is technology for contact assembly and disassembly but seems experimental for DIY use, material fatigue and resistance to be managed. A liable product manufacturer does not have the incentive to offer it.
Now THAT's smart. I have posed to others that it makes sense to market a model that uses multiple batteries in the place of one, just to get the market for those many like my daughter. Go-e is doing that and, I assume, drawing attention to it. Now we just need such a feature in assembled bikes and scooters.

Or are there some that already do?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:32 pm

The closest other I've seen was one Kickstarter probably from a SoCal startup that marketed the battery design as repairable/replaceable cells, that is effectively an economical exchange/refurbishment workshop based recycling initiative addressing the hazardous waste of a poor performing or "dead pack" that out of warranty is usually abhorrently priced. It's much nicer to be able to get upgrade battery performance for a used bike, only paying used battery prices.to keep from overcapitalising, that then ends up in the whole bicycle, motor and battery being a worthless pursuit.

Dizzie

Postby Dizzie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:43 am

Another useful option is to hire batteries at your destination. For models that use fairly common battery types that option would usually be available.

andylloyd10

Postby andylloyd10 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:25 pm

RonK wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm
I think it is possible to ship some batteries as cargo, subject to strict regulations about packaging and labeling. The IATA rules are difficult to understand.
The best bet would be to contact a shipping company such as DHL. They should be able to interpret the regulations and explain their requirements for battery shipment.
I need to ship two Carbo 36V 361WH seat post batteries and tried DHL, TNT, FEDEX but all require a business account approved for dangerous goods. Does anyone know who will ship (by air, road or other means) a ebike battery within Australia?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:16 pm

Many years back I used e-go and you could save by dropping off and picking up ast designated locations. They were using Trucks and I assume filling empty space. See if they have limitations.
Cycling is in my BNA