Kypo

P!N20

Re: Kypo

Postby P!N20 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:10 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm
p.s. there's a kypo sitting on the ocean floor somewhere off of Metung. So I suppose that's one less of the 465 ever made :cry:
Whaaaaat?

There must be a good story behind that.

*packs bag for Metung*

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

So now we are scuba diving and I want to see the Austral winning bike and more info there.

And I thought I was the cool kid with the bike that came second in the Austral but someone comes along and one ups me!

As GaryF said this thread has got everything. Stolen bikes, mystery, solving of mystery, bikes off Metung in the ocean......what's next?

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:10 pm
YouAgainstMe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm
p.s. there's a kypo sitting on the ocean floor somewhere off of Metung. So I suppose that's one less of the 465 ever made :cry:
Whaaaaat?

There must be a good story behind that.

*packs bag for Metung*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Since I'm on leave and can't go anywhere with this social distancing stuff... I've been pestering my poor dad about this Kypo. The one I've got was originally all blue. Which brought back a memory of one of his mates having another Kypo which was blue and yellow.
Dad had a friend from his track days, who loved a beer. He was a likable guy but as mad as a cut snake. I highly doubt the blue and yellow kypo was originally his, likely given to him by someone who no longer loved it. He used to work as a deckhand on fishing boats and launched it off the boat one day "somewhere near Metung" after a skin full :lol:
Gordon1 wrote: So now we are scuba diving and I want to see the Austral winning bike and more info there.
Like I said it was just a generic bike everyone rode in that era. Maybe a Cecil Walker? Chrome track bike. It's sitting on the bookshelf of a guy who dad coached and gave the bike to. I've offered to buy it in the past but no luck.

Definitely not trying to one up you either. Believe me that track Kypo of yours is a much nicer bike.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Another great story. Don’t worry I’m not really concerned about the one upping, as such.

I try and shy away from social media but am presently loving this thread and will probably keep chipping in. Mostly because I have a fantastic bike but also because, as I have mentioned, there has been a lot of “goodwill” here. The guy I bought from (still happy to refund) the shop, the rider, the custodian of records, P!N20 and now you and your stories. I’m also impressed your dad won the Austral, any idea what year......happy for you to decline my subtle request for personal info.

On another tangent this whole saga has prompted the “bike shop guy” I got the disc wheel from to try and get his old Kypo back. It’s looking promising.

Who would have thought a guy with “a funny name” building bikes in Traralgon would leave such a legacy. I hope he is reading this. I’m sure I speak for others but we appreciate his legacy.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm
Another great story. Don’t worry I’m not really concerned about the one upping, as such.

I try and shy away from social media but am presently loving this thread and will probably keep chipping in. Mostly because I have a fantastic bike but also because, as I have mentioned, there has been a lot of “goodwill” here. The guy I bought from (still happy to refund) the shop, the rider, the custodian of records, P!N20 and now you and your stories. I’m also impressed your dad won the Austral, any idea what year......happy for you to decline my subtle request for personal info.

On another tangent this whole saga has prompted the “bike shop guy” I got the disc wheel from to try and get his old Kypo back. It’s looking promising.

Who would have thought a guy with “a funny name” building bikes in Traralgon would leave such a legacy. I hope he is reading this. I’m sure I speak for others but we appreciate his legacy.
Yeah that's fine and I understand your sentiment re: social media. I'm intentionally avoiding talking about other people and specifics as it's not my place. The old man won the 1971 Austral.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm
The one I've got was originally all blue.
Hang on, so there’s your dad’s which was originally yellow and you have one that was originally blue? Have we seen pictures of that?

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Great stuff. If this thread gets a few Kypos out of storage then I couldn’t be happier.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 pm
YouAgainstMe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm
The one I've got was originally all blue.
Hang on, so there’s your dad’s which was originally yellow and you have one that was originally blue? Have we seen pictures of that?
No I thought it was yellow but was mistaken. Today he said it was all blue originally and then he had it painted green/white. Then the one off of Metung was Blue/Yellow. He's in his 70's so memory is fading. Today we were debating whether his was a Kypo or a Le Kypo :lol:

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

P!N20 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm
Gordon1 wrote:
Great stuff. If this thread gets a few Kypos out of storage then I couldn’t be happier.
Agreed. I hadn't mentioned before but "bike shop guy" (I am like YouAgainstMe I am being a little vague, on purpose, with names etc as I'm not really part of the history or the actual bikes until I got one recently) who I bought the disc wheel from and basically put the Austral info together for me looks like he will hopefully be getting back his old Kypo which was still in a shed of a mate or mate's brother or something.

Thanks for giving a year YouAgainstMe. I have looked up the 1971 info in the book "Australs and Legends" and on the weekend will look at old Australian Cyclist Magazines from the year. Would have been great if your dad was on a Kypo but then again maybe I can claim to be the custodian of the "highest placed Kypo in the Austral". Just putting it out there so that if anyone reads this and can top it they may get online and another is flushed out of hiding.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 am

135 yards was not a bad start - I understand it was your dad's first track season as a pro. Helped by Gordon Johnson puncturing in the final, but he still had to beat everyone else
Anything you can do, I can do slower

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:00 am
135 yards was not a bad start - I understand it was your dad's first track season as a pro. Helped by Gordon Johnson puncturing in the final, but he still had to beat everyone else
First and last as a pro is my understanding. TBH we've never really talked about it much so sounds like you know more than me :lol:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 pm
Today we were debating whether his was a Kypo or a Le Kypo :lol:
Given it’s later in the same year as mine, there’s probably a good chance it was a Le Kypo.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Was hoping to ‘finish’ my Kypo today when I managed to strip the thread of the nut for the front derailleur. Ugh.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Alright, managed to finish* my Kypo today. Rides beautifully straight out of the box**:

* Pedals are placeholders until I can be bothered ordering some clipless jobbies. Having said that, it’s nice to be able to go for a spin without changing shoes.

While I’m not a big fan of those wheels aesthetically, and they are actually different rims, they ride fine and will certainly do the job until I decide what I want as a permanent fixture.

Had to put a Shimano FD on after I buggered my Campy one (*gasp* *shock*) There’s two Campy FD’s on their way through the postal system somewhere.

** There was no box.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Just when I thought I had the coolest Kypo.

Looks great and I'm a sucker for the early deep dish wheels (I'm presently thinking the early 90's Concorde will look great with Mavic Cosmic) so my vote is keep that theme however I subscribe to the theory as long as the owner is happy.

Robs paint jobs stand out and seem to be of good quality. I'm sure mine was left leant against a shed for a while in the weather. Most other lower quality bikes would probably be trash.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:44 pm

It stands out from the crowd P!N20. A bike I really admire.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:32 pm
Just when I thought I had the coolest Kypo.

I think track bikes trump road bikes in the cool stakes.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:32 pm

"I think track bikes trump road bikes in the cool stakes."

Let's call it a draw. Plus I don't have a beard, my name isn't Josh and I don't ride a fixie in Brunswick thinking I'm cool, but I digress.

What sort of pedals are you looking for. I may have something spare.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 pm
Alright, managed to finish* my Kypo today. Rides beautifully straight out of the box**:

Mmmm, very tasty.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Super.

What are the bars? Nice and deep without being too steep, good fit for the V1 ergos.

Some TB14s would sit nicely, even in black.

Jim

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:52 pm

familyguy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:43 pm
What are the bars? Nice and deep without being too steep, good fit for the V1 ergos.

Some TB14s would sit nicely, even in black.
Bars are Cinelli Campione Del Mondo, I always liked the deep drop on that model.

You know, I’m thinking of throwing my black TB14s of mine onto this and building something new for the Pinarello. Will have to see how they look.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:32 pm
What sort of pedals are you looking for. I may have something spare.
Campy C-Rec :D

I dunno, what have you got? I’d like some Campy pedals from around that time, but it’s not high on the priority list.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:28 pm

How many sets of C Record would you like? Free to you of course!

My track Kypo had the ugly white Time pedals. I reckon they may have been original so I kept them on. Pretty sure I have a spare set of Time or Look or both from may be around the period but clipless pedals and dates aren't my strong point. Obviously pedals like saddles are a personal thing so I don't mind mixing.

Shoot me a message if they are a possibility and I can check. If wanting Campy I can't help with spare.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:59 pm

Gordon1 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:28 pm
Pretty sure I have a spare set of Time or Look or both from may be around the period but clipless pedals and dates aren't my strong point.
The trouble with vintage clipless is getting the cleats to match. Plus I’ve only got one pair of cycling shoes and don’t really want another, and they have Shimano SPD-SL cleats.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:23 pm

I tried V2 ergo on the Campione bars, didnt fit as nicely as those do. Chuck on the TB14, def worth a look with those on.

Looking sharp.

Jim