New VS Used

Bledrin

New VS Used

Postby Bledrin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:40 am

Hi there!

My family is new to cycling, inspired by my sons new found love of mountain biking.

It's his birthday coming up & we've decided to sell his little-used dirt bike & to replace it with a modest MTB.

Our choices are to buy new, something like a Specialized Rockhopper. Fairly rudimentary.

The alternative is to look at an aging 2013 Titus El Guapo. A serious bike in its time.

Other than wear & tear which comes with anything used, are there any major reasons to avoid an older bike? It has 26"wheels which seem to be out of favour.

Any advice met with great appreciation.

Calvin27

Re: New VS Used

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am

I'd try to avoid 26" wheels if possible. Decent tyres are harder and harder to find in that size but that's based on a few assumptions on my end. A few questions to get a better idea:

- How old is your son and specifically does he have much growing to do still?
- How good is your mechanical aptitude?
- How much are you looking to spend?
- What will you be riding? Green, blue or black trails (don't laugh, i rocked black trails with a beater hardtail for a long time haha).
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Bledrin

Postby Bledrin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 pm

I'll check with my LBS to see how available 26" tyres are here. I do know there are brand new Maxxis Minions on the bike.

My son is turning 13, is 5foot & has plenty of growing to do.

My mechanical aptitude is ok. Not a lot of experience on non-motorised bikes though.

Want to spend under $1500. That's why we are considering used.

Local bike park has a bit of everything. We roll down the blacks & hammer down the rest.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:12 pm

For a 13yo I’d go with a hard tail. Let him learn to ride on that before going to a dually. You’ll get a great new hardtail for that budget, or pick up a second hand one and infect it with upgraditis.

Being a smaller kid having smaller wheels (26”) won’t hurt. They’ll still be makin 26” wheels and tyres for a while, and while choices will be reduced, unless you are at the pointy end of the race field not having the perfect tyre won’t spoil the ride too much.

My 13yo has just graduated to a med-large frame, but 12 months ago he was riding a small frame comfortably, he’s now over 170cm tall. Considering you might be upgrading after 12months buying a second hand bike might save a few dollars in resale after an upgrade.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am

@Bledrin - i'm in a similar position as you. bought my soon-to-be 13yo boy a hardtail last year. it was his 3rd bike in 18 months after going through a growth spurt. (luckily for us, his 8yo sister is riding the 1st of the 3 bikes now)

i totally agree with bychosis. a hardtail is best value for money at his age.
in fact that's what i bought. it is not ideal but i chose an "S" size that would allow him to grow into and one which i can use too! hah. i'm 172cm and he's almost as tall as me now.

instead of spending 1500 on a brand new bike, you could bike a used hardtail from gumtree (eg giant Talon, specialized Rockhopper) for half that price, pocket the savings and buy him another one in a few years' time.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am

I'd not be fussed on wheel size and just buy a used hardtail in whatever wheel size comes up - as everyone else has suggested here.

Given he's got some growing to you'd be happy if the bike lasts more than 18 months before he outgrows it.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Bledrin

Postby Bledrin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am

The hardtail issue is something that always comes up when ever this discussion is had. By all means I’m sure a hartail is well & truly suitable at his age & skill level, however, if I can get something within my budget with Fox 34 front shocks & a Fox Float X CTD on the rear, wouldn’t that only be to his advantage?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Bledrin wrote:The hardtail issue is something that always comes up when ever this discussion is had. By all means I’m sure a hartail is well & truly suitable at his age & skill level, however, if I can get something within my budget with Fox 34 front shocks & a Fox Float X CTD on the rear, wouldn’t that only be to his advantage?
It is an advantage, but learning to ride on a hardtail can teach you better technique, which will translate to becoming an even better rider in a dually later on. You’ll be faster/better on a dually initially, but possibly learn bad habits and not be as quick when the skills build up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Bledrin

Postby Bledrin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm

I assumed as much.

He’s been riding for as long as possible on hard tails but only hitting the tracks for about six months. I think I’ll only go dually if the deal is too good to pass.