Insurance ...??

cookiemonster

Insurance ...??

Postby cookiemonster » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Do you insure yourself against accidents and your bikes?
If you do, do you have recommended insurance company ?
Or don't bother at all?

rkelsen

Re: Insurance ...??

Postby rkelsen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Bikes are covered against theft by the house insurance, even if they're stolen while off site. Check you policy or call your insurer.

As for accidents, well, it's in a few parts: Your health insurance might cover sporting accidents, TAC will cover being hit by a car and Medicare should cover whatever's left.

What kind of insurance are you thinking about getting?

cookiemonster

Postby cookiemonster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks rkelsen.
I'll double check my insurance policy for "sporting accidents".
How about accidental damage to third party?
eg. I accidentally hit and took off S-Class Merc side mirror?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

Personal accident, third party property and public liability insurance cover is provided by state cycling groups such as Bicycle NSW or Cycling Australia.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:32 pm

I just changed my bicycle insurance yesterday. I had most of bikes on Home Contents, where they used to only covered for Theft/Damage while not being used, but changes in the last couple of years means they are covered worldwide, including for accidental damage, and if the bike is under $15,000 value it no longer needs to be listed separately on the policy.
It also covers usage while racing - awesome.

I cancelled my Velosure policy, as this was costing me $40 a month for one bike, and the Velosure policy depreciates the replacement value of the bike after 2 years (without reducing the premium I might add!). I have now moved that over to my Home & Contents where it is automatically covered with a new for old policy.

IN terms of "accidents", I have public liability insurance under numerous policies (Home & Contents and two CA Licences). I have private health insurance & medicare for personal injury, as well as Income Protection, TPD & Life Insurance as a final measure.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 pm

cookiemonster wrote:How about accidental damage to third party?
eg. I accidentally hit and took off S-Class Merc side mirror?
I've never bothered with 3rd party insurance, because it's hard to to that much damage with a bicycle. But I'm sure that if you wanted it, you could find it.

Tell the owner to get three quotes, pay for the cheapest one and try to be more careful.

gr3i

Postby gr3i » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 am

http://www.vinsurancegroup.com/pedalPow ... fCover.pdf

That's what you get if you were a member of Pedal Power ACT. Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? Almost all state /territory /national cycling groups have similar deals for their members (I mention Pedal Power as it's your local one if you live in Canberra)

Namsen10

Postby Namsen10 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:20 am

Hello,
What is the best personal accident ?
Would you advice me to subscribe this one ? https://www.axa.com.sg/personal-accident