Brisbane Gateway North - Shared Path

CKinnard

Brisbane Gateway North - Shared Path

Postby CKinnard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm

This path opened most of its length just over a week ago.
https://www.gatewayupgradenorth.com.au/ ... PROVED.pdf

You can now ride from Schultz Canal off Jim Soorley Path, beside the Gateway Arterial, to Mullar Rd, Taigum.
The path is brilliant.
wide enough to comfortably take 2 bikes wide each direction.
mostly straight and flat.
great quality concrete or bitumen.
forgiving edges
Well designed for rain runoff (unlike the Ted Smout Bridge).
Ponds and sensible landscaping the entire length.
High fences either side to add to safety (against nefarious types hiding in bushes, or idiots throwing stuff out of cars).
Much quicker than the alternative through the Wetlands.
Adequate lighting on 90% of the path to not need headlights at night.

This is just great infrastructure.
Kudos to Tony Abbott who was the guy who allocated the billions for the Gateway upgrade.

And it's getting a lot of use already. Locals are taking to it for their daily constitutional walk, jog, cycle.
Nice to see young families riding any type of bike.
Roadies, be considerate of all by not passing at speed too close.

Lukeyboy

Re: Brisbane Gateway North - Shared Path

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:43 pm

And I already have KOMs along there :)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:And I already have KOMs along there :)
hmmmm.....can't find any evidence of routes or segments on Strava.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:39 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:And I already have KOMs along there :)
hmmmm.....can't find any evidence of routes or segments on Strava.
Didn't happen then! :mrgreen: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Here's one... Only managed to average 50kph unfortunately :P
https://www.strava.com/segments/20028181?filter=overall

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 pm

I rode this today. Its a great path indeed. But what's with those 2 x traffic island gardens that they have installed in the middle of the path ???? That's going to bring someone down one day.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Here's one... Only managed to average 50kph unfortunately :P
Lucky for you my rides are hidden from leaderboards. I only managed to average 58.6km/h through there today. Gotta love velomobiles :-D

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Gotta love velomobiles :-D
Did you guys have coffee along the Sandgate Foreshore this morning? Spotted a Mango and two Velomobiles outside a small cafe as I passed
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Waccofozzy wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:Gotta love velomobiles :-D
Did you guys have coffee along the Sandgate Foreshore this morning? Spotted a Mango and two Velomobiles outside a small cafe as I passed
That was us yes. Sounds like you know your velos. :-)

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:42 pm

hmmm....don't know why I couldn't find segments there before.
Yes I thought the KOMs would get into the 50s, esp with tailwinds.

And yes I had noted the concrete path has a couple of short narrow garden patches.....makes no sense.
Just got back from a late arvo ride that way, and noted one of the garden patches is in line with steel posts either side of the path (this is near the Entertainment Center roundabout). So I presume maybe that's a path barrier point when required. Though you think they could just get a longer stronger railing to cross the complete path without a mid path support.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

Rhubarb wrote:I rode this today. Its a great path indeed. But what's with those 2 x traffic island gardens that they have installed in the middle of the path ???? That's going to bring someone down one day.
Nowadays, that's considered the best way of blocking a path entrance so that motor vehicles can't enter it. They are better than bollards or banana bars. So remember, even though we finally get some of the best possible bike infrastructure possible, it's still compromised by the need to deal with idiots in motor vehicles.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:37 pm

RobertL wrote: Nowadays, that's considered the best way of blocking a path entrance so that motor vehicles can't enter it. They are better than bollards or banana bars. So remember, even though we finally get some of the best possible bike infrastructure possible, it's still compromised by the need to deal with idiots in motor vehicles.
ahhh, ok that's makes a little more sense.
though it will be another year before any vegetation in the garden is high enough to detract cars (let alone emergency vehicles)

Anyway, it's idiots on motorbikes that are more an issue. Over the years, I've encountered half a dozen riding the shared paths in northern brisbane, at stupid speeds.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:20 pm

this arvo was the time to set northbound KOMs!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Lucky for you my rides are hidden from leaderboards. I only managed to average 58.6km/h through there today. Gotta love velomobiles :-D
Let me roll out the tt bike instead of the commuter haha.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Blah blah blah ........... listen to you speedsters talking smack! The wife and I did a much slower weekday coastal loop today starting up near the Cabbo River at D-Bay then around the Redcliffe Peninsula and Sandgate to take in the wetlands and then used the Gateway shared paths and the Redcliffe rail line shared path to return. They're pretty good bike paths along the Gateway now, we were impressed.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon May 20, 2019 7:11 am

Paddles wrote:Blah blah blah ........... listen to you speedsters talking smack! The wife and I did a much slower weekday coastal loop today starting up near the Cabbo River at D-Bay then around the Redcliffe Peninsula and Sandgate to take in the wetlands and then used the Gateway shared paths and the Redcliffe rail line shared path to return. They're pretty good bike paths along the Gateway now, we were impressed.
That's a long ride Paddles. 70k? Kudos to your wife!

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 am

Yeah it's a great loop mate, it's 82km all up. The cycling infrastructure is fantastic now around the Northern Bayside suburbs areas. The wife is doing great, that is her longest ride so far. But she's ticked over into her early 50's now the poor old love :D :D :D and has a goal of being able to do 100km day rides and she's getting closer every day so I'm really happy. The weather is working against us at the the moment with onshore winds and showers so not too many km at the moment.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon May 20, 2019 11:12 am

Paddles wrote:Yeah it's a great loop mate, it's 82km all up. The cycling infrastructure is fantastic now around the Northern Bayside suburbs areas. The wife is doing great, that is her longest ride so far. But she's ticked over into her early 50's now the poor old love :D :D :D and has a goal of being able to do 100km day rides and she's getting closer every day so I'm really happy. The weather is working against us at the the moment with onshore winds and showers so not too many km at the moment.
yes another few weeks of rain, then June is much drier.

If your wife is comfy doing 80k, she'll easily do 100.

things that can help: extra extended breaks, a comfy saddle, thicker quality knicks, and a stem elevated if neck, back, or hands have issues, a sunrise start to avoid winds.

and yes I agree off road cycling in northern bayside area has lots of options now. and before 7am, the roads are comparatively safe.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 20, 2019 12:51 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Paddles wrote:Yeah it's a great loop mate, it's 82km all up. The cycling infrastructure is fantastic now around the Northern Bayside suburbs areas. The wife is doing great, that is her longest ride so far. But she's ticked over into her early 50's now the poor old love :D :D :D and has a goal of being able to do 100km day rides and she's getting closer every day so I'm really happy. The weather is working against us at the the moment with onshore winds and showers so not too many km at the moment.

things that can help: extra extended breaks, a comfy saddle, thicker quality knicks, and a stem elevated if neck, back, or hands have issues, a sunrise start to avoid winds.

and yes I agree off road cycling in northern bayside area has lots of options now. and before 7am, the roads are comparatively safe.
It's not just the northern bayside, now, though. You can ride the bike path all the way south and west as far as Brookside shopping centre without riding on roads*.

* Except for a couple of road crossings.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm

RobertL wrote:
CKinnard wrote:

It's not just the northern bayside, now, though. You can ride the bike path all the way south and west as far as Brookside shopping centre without riding on roads*.

* Except for a couple of road crossings.
oh yes.
I was referring to the newer paths - Northern gateway and Kipparing train line path to Kallangur.

re Brookside, I used to go up that way regularly on Kedron Brook path, en route to Samford Valley.
Have you tried the old train line from Ferny Grove to the Valley? Much easier than going over Samford, Mailmans, Lochinvar, or Eaton's Crossing Roads.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm

"things that can help: extra extended breaks, a comfy saddle, thicker quality knicks, and a stem elevated if neck, back, or hands have issues, a sunrise start to avoid winds" yep, we're getting all that stuff sorted.

You've hit the nail on the head for the ladies CKinnard, my wife is more of a "purist" (maybe most ladies are like this) when it comes to her cycling and focuses on enjoying the "experience" instead of setting records for sure. We've got the bike and the clothing sorted out and we're now working on the best intervals for her to have a break and sugar up, every 30-40km seems to be about right at the moment. I can recommend the coastline loop around Redcliffe/Sandgate/Boondal Wetlands/Gateway as a pretty good cycling experience for anyone, heaps of cafe's and takeaways and nice spots to stop and soak up the view, it makes for a good day out.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 am

Paddles wrote:Blah blah blah ........... listen to you speedsters talking smack!
If you’re not going to talk smack what’s the point of posting on forums anyway :P

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue May 21, 2019 10:56 am

CKinnard wrote:
Have you tried the old train line from Ferny Grove to the Valley? Much easier than going over Samford, Mailmans, Lochinvar, or Eaton's Crossing Roads.
Yes, it's a lovely bit of path. It always amazes me how narrow it is, considering it was for steam trains!

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue May 21, 2019 11:42 am

"If you’re not going to talk smack what’s the point of posting on forums anyway" ................. true :D :D :D :D :D