I tried and spectacularly failed to conquer my fear of this trail feature!

chriso_29er

I tried and spectacularly failed to conquer my fear of this trail feature!

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:11 pm

I had a fear of this jump so had never given it full effort, usually just dropped off it then hopped off the lander.
Well, thought I would finally try and conquer my fear and have a full go!

I failed spectacularly :shock: , but luckily I had full body armour on and came away with only a slightly sore rib and a deep scratch on my left ankle. But also managed to bust off my gear shifter!

RonK

Re: I tried and spectacularly failed to conquer my fear of this trail feature!

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Couldn't see much wrong with the jump. Looks like you lost control only after landing it. Try again. :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Unlucky! I think you'd be within your rights to go back with a set of long-handle shears and extract that root. Landing zones are meant to be clear of such traps under IMBA guidelines. :wink:

Some folks are opposed to such trail "maintenance" but if it's not obvious and there's no opportunity to correct if you knowits startingto go pear shaped (it's a bit hard to steer while in the air) then I think it's more than justified.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Not to take away from the trail builders, its clearly rideable as per the start of my video.
But yes the landing is a little sketchy at the moment. What I'm annoyed about is that I knew this and the bits I had to stay away from but I still managed to stuff my line and land basically exactly where I didn't want to ha ha. All my fault. Should have a aimed further right but the slight left turn after also draws you to head left.

I won't be letting it get the better of me, I'll be back to finally clear it :D But maybe with a little spade work first!

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 pm

With things like this, if you're unsure of making the distance, it's really easy to over compensate and try too hard to leave the lip with a pop, or carry too much speed. The more time you spend in the air the more likely you are to end up crooked in the air or come down rigid and hard with fear.

On the second effort you seemed to pop your weight back in the air and stiffen up a little so you didn't touch down as smoothly as you probably could have and that was enough to unseat you. Probably just needs a little more confidence in the air. Heal up, try again next week and you'll probably nail it. In 6 months you'll be doing it comfortably and wondering what all the fuss was about.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:42 pm

You're right about the stiffining up bit. I have no problem hitting big jumps, but this one just unnerved me from first sight. I could have been more composed in the air, but I still think it was mostly where I landed that caused the crash. You can also see my left hand drops off the bars as I hit the big root.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Good effort just went a bit too far/big and stiffened up .