Single days of road cycling in Europe?

Abby

Single days of road cycling in Europe?

Postby Abby » Wed May 01, 2019 10:28 am

Hi all,

Heading to Europe in September/October this year with my wife and Miss18 for 5 glorious weeks. Look like hitting Italy (Rome/Tuscany), Germany (prob Munich), Vienna, Prague, Belgium, and Paris.

My good wife has said that one one or two seperate days during the trip, if I want to hire a road bike and take off to ride some 'famous roads' or routes, that she is happy for me to do so while she and Miss18 take off and do their own thing.

So what I'm thinking is just taking my Shimano road shoes, and nailing down one or two places on the trip where I can hire out a decent road bike (that will also supply helmet/pedals/GPS) and spin the legs out for the day. Maybe 80-120km. Solo or with a group/tour group.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done something like that before, and has any suggestions as to where woud be good and/or who to hire/organise with? There seems to be heaps of places that do organised multi-day tours, but not many that cater to the 'sneaky one day getaway' that I need...

Thanks in advance!!
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

scirocco

Re: Single days of road cycling in Europe?

Postby scirocco » Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm

There are loads of cycling oriented B&B type places in Europe that will do everything from single night accomodation to multiple nights, rent you a bike, guide you if you want or just send you out on your own with a map of the local area. Usually nothing stopping non-cycling family coming along as well and taking in local sights while you're out on the bike.
Problem is these places tend to be in cycling hotspots, typically in mountain ranges like the Pyrenees, Alps and Dolomites. Not usually in a big city, because that isn't usually where the desirable or famous rides and routes are. You would need to get yourself to those starting points or maybe the cobbled roads of Belgium or the Ardennes that are used in the spring classics.

Can recommend Pyractif in the Pyrenees for starters but there are loads of other places.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Go to Annecy (France) and stay a week. Hire a bike and ride 3 days - there’s plenty for your girls to do there when you go riding. I speak from experience. :mrgreen:

There are organised day rides if you want, but I just did my own thing.
:wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri May 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Abby wrote:Hi all,

Heading to Europe in September/October this year with my wife and Miss18 for 5 glorious weeks. Look like hitting Italy (Rome/Tuscany), Germany (prob Munich), Vienna, Prague, Belgium, and Paris.
Go ride some cobbles in Belgium, if you have travel insurance :D

Go do some climbs from the Giro d'Italia?
https://blog.discoveradventure.com/ulti ... o-d-italia
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!