Training for a 600 m race

NickF

Training for a 600 m race

Postby NickF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:57 pm

I am a 51yo male, 1m68 (5ft6) and 68 kg (I guess I'm carrying about 4 kg of belly fat). I haven't done any training in many years and about six weeks ago I started cycling during the weekends. My longest ride happened yesterday (92 km) with an average speed of 21 km/h.
I Installed Strava on my phone. A few days ago I purchased a road bike and I noticed that I have a good position on one of the segments near my place. It is not a popular area, there are just over 600 riders. The KOM's time is 57 seconds and my best time so far is 1:10 (from yesterday). The segment has a length of 570 meters. When comparing my race against KOM, I noticed I run out of energy after 200 meters. From there, I start slowing down because I am too tired (while he keeps accelerating). My top speed was 36.4 km/h after 100 meters and it drops to 28 km/h at 400 meters and 26.5 km/h at 500 meters.
What approach should I take to improve my physical condition to be able to maintain a speed above 35 km/h for the 500 meters of the segment? Should I do squats? I have a stationary bike at home, which I used a few times only. Should I train on the most difficult setting for one minute?
After the long ride from yesterday, I took a rest day today, although from mid-day I feel less tired. Is it a good idea to rest, or should I take the bike for another (shorter) ride?
I don't have lycra gear, I wear a pair of shorts and a cotton t-shirt. On this distance, will there by any time improvement by wearing lycra gear?

Thanks,
Nick

A_P

Re: Training for a 600 m race

Postby A_P » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Unless the other rider is with you at the time... its not really a race. Over 600m.. you could probably wear a wetsuit and it wouldnt make much difference.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:36 pm

NickF wrote:I am a 51yo male, 1m68 (5ft6) and 68 kg (I guess I'm carrying about 4 kg of belly fat). I haven't done any training in many years and about six weeks ago I started cycling during the weekends. My longest ride happened yesterday (92 km) with an average speed of 21 km/h.
I Installed Strava on my phone. A few days ago I purchased a road bike and I noticed that I have a good position on one of the segments near my place. It is not a popular area, there are just over 600 riders. The KOM's time is 57 seconds and my best time so far is 1:10 (from yesterday). The segment has a length of 570 meters. When comparing my race against KOM, I noticed I run out of energy after 200 meters. From there, I start slowing down because I am too tired (while he keeps accelerating). My top speed was 36.4 km/h after 100 meters and it drops to 28 km/h at 400 meters and 26.5 km/h at 500 meters.
What approach should I take to improve my physical condition to be able to maintain a speed above 35 km/h for the 500 meters of the segment? Should I do squats? I have a stationary bike at home, which I used a few times only. Should I train on the most difficult setting for one minute?
After the long ride from yesterday, I took a rest day today, although from mid-day I feel less tired. Is it a good idea to rest, or should I take the bike for another (shorter) ride?
I don't have lycra gear, I wear a pair of shorts and a cotton t-shirt. On this distance, will there by any time improvement by wearing lycra gear?

Thanks,
Nick
Wait for a day with a huge tailwind then go out there and grab the KOM. Then wait for the email that someone has taken the KOM back, probably by a huge amount.

I'm sure someone will come along with a sarcastic reply.

NickF

Postby NickF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Wait for a day with a huge tailwind then go out there and grab the KOM. Then wait for the email that someone has taken the KOM back, probably by a huge amount. I'm sure someone will come along with a sarcastic reply.
Thanks for advice!
As someone said, "Better to be King for a Night Than a Schmuck For a Lifetime" :)

It's all for laughs. I have 2 followers on Strava and I want to impress them by becoming KOM (even if for a single day). They are much more accomplished riders and they have no KOM achievements. I am aware that I will never reach a level where I could compete with any serious rider and that is not my goal. I am looking for self-improvement. I consider that the goal I set for myself, of shaving off 13 seconds from my time may not be impossible, but very difficult for me.

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by NickF on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NickF

Postby NickF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 pm

A_P wrote:Unless the other rider is with you at the time... its not really a race. Over 600m.. you could probably wear a wetsuit and it wouldn't make much difference.
I consider it a virtual race. I can race all by myself and end up 31st :)
If the wet suit won't help much, would it make a difference if I tied up a parachute behind my bike? :)

Nick

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:24 pm

NickF wrote:I don't have lycra gear, I wear a pair of shorts and a cotton t-shirt. On this distance, will there by any time improvement by wearing lycra gear?
Yes, as will aero helmet, time trial bars etc.

But as the others have said, wait for the right conditions (ie huge tailwind) and hammer it.

Meanwhile find a short climb that takes 60 seconds or so to complete, ride it as hard as you can, recover for a few minutes (ie loop back to the bottom) and do it again, 5 repetitions should be enough to start with, building up to 10, twice a week. That should build your body up, waiting for the right opportunity.

There is a local segment that is on the way to a local race circuit, so few hundred good riders had ridden it. One day on the way to do a few laps on my race bike, I had a strong tailwind, so I hammered the 1.4km segment, average 53kph, 5kph faster than anyone. That KOM lasted a couple of year, till the local KOM hunter went out on his TT bike in a good tailwind and took it at 57kph. A couple years later, in the best tailwind of the lot, a very good triathlete took his race bike out, did that segment at over 60kph and continue along the road for 8km at just under 60kph.

NickF

Postby NickF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:58 pm

nickobec wrote:

But as the others have said, wait for the right conditions (ie huge tailwind) and hammer it.

Meanwhile find a short climb that takes 60 seconds or so to complete, ride it as hard as you can, recover for a few minutes (ie loop back to the bottom) and do it again, 5 repetitions should be enough to start with, building up to 10, twice a week. That should build your body up, waiting for the right opportunity.

There is a local segment that is on the way to a local race circuit, so few hundred good riders had ridden it. One day on the way to do a few laps on my race bike, I had a strong tailwind, so I hammered the 1.4km segment, average 53kph, 5kph faster than anyone. That KOM lasted a couple of year, till the local KOM hunter went out on his TT bike in a good tailwind and took it at 57kph. A couple years later, in the best tailwind of the lot, a very good triathlete took his race bike out, did that segment at over 60kph and continue along the road for 8km at just under 60kph.
Thanks Nick, that is useful advice, I'll try to follow it.
Your average speed of 53 km/h sounds insane to me. So far my top speed downhill is 48 km/h :)
I also found out that holding the elbows toward the body center can improve aerodynamic coefficient (pretty much what time trial bars do). My T-shirt fluttering in the wind may also slow me down 0.5s to 1s, and perhaps the same carrying the water bottle.

NickF

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:52 am

NickF wrote:
nickobec wrote:

Thanks Nick, that is useful advice, I'll try to follow it.
Your average speed of 53 km/h sounds insane to me. So far my top speed downhill is 48 km/h :)
I also found out that holding the elbows toward the body center can improve aerodynamic coefficient (pretty much what time trial bars do). My T-shirt fluttering in the wind may also slow me down 0.5s to 1s, and perhaps the same carrying the water bottle.

NickF
Downhill top speed is also about the way you sit on the bike too. If you sit up a lot, then your upper body acts as a brake. In all my riding I see hardly anyone riding with their hands on the drops, always on the hoods, even though it is less stable and slower.

Just hope you don’t have a local rider who is a track sprinter in your area, or you’ll never have a chance at any KOMs.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:43 am

Good morning Nick, at this stage I would just be out on the bike whenever you can and clock up the K's, you'll find that as time passes so your times over Strava segments improve.

If you can't find the time ( harder in Winter ), then once warmed up work harder.

Lycra is worn because it is just more comfortable on the bike for recreational riders, mainly only racers get thingy about flapping clothing.

We have a 20K'ish segment locally that is a good test, still ride it weekly and try occasionally to better
a PR. Maybe find one near you and keep working on it.

Good luck, you'll be fit before you know it and that 600m's will look easier :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 am

nickobec wrote:
NickF wrote:I don't have lycra gear, I wear a pair of shorts and a cotton t-shirt. On this distance, will there by any time improvement by wearing lycra gear?
The time gains over 40km for aero equipment are well documented. Ive saved you the effort and done the maths over 600 metres. Its less than 2 seconds.
Hmmmm. May need another idea.

NickF

Postby NickF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

Peter A wrote:Good morning Nick, at this stage I would just be out on the bike whenever you can and clock up the K's, you'll find that as time passes so your times over Strava segments improve.

If you can't find the time ( harder in Winter ), then once warmed up work harder.

Lycra is worn because it is just more comfortable on the bike for recreational riders, mainly only racers get thingy about flapping clothing.

We have a 20K'ish segment locally that is a good test, still ride it weekly and try occasionally to better
a PR. Maybe find one near you and keep working on it.

Good luck, you'll be fit before you know it and that 600m's will look easier :D
Hi Peter,
Thanks for advice. I already noticed that with every new ride I set a bunch of personal records. On my last 92 km run, I got 96 PR. This was my fifth race using Strava app and I hope I will keep improving my average speed as time passes. Not far from my home, there is a long cycleway along M7 in Sydney. On those segments I am usually toward bottom 10 percent, because that's an area where real cyclists are going. But I don't care, I go at my own pace and have fun. It will be a while before I earn my first yellow jersey :)

NickF

NickF

Postby NickF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 am

Derny Driver wrote:
nickobec wrote:
The time gains over 40km for aero equipment are well documented. Ive saved you the effort and done the maths over 600 metres. Its less than 2 seconds.
Thank you very much for info. I was guesstimating I could gain maybe 1 second. Of course, that is not enough, but when my time difference is 13 seconds, 2 seconds of improvement are helping. I hope in the next three months to improve my time by over 5 seconds by improving my physical condition.

NickF

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:15 pm

NickF wrote: I hope in the next three months to improve my time by over 5 seconds by improving my physical condition.

NickF
That's the way to do it. :D
Lots of good advice on that in the other threads in the Training section.
good luck

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Try to find someone to draft off.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Derny Driver wrote: The time gains over 40km for aero equipment are well documented. Ive saved you the effort and done the maths over 600 metres. Its less than 2 seconds.
Marginal gains

Only needs 14 seconds to take KOM, 2 seconds for aero gear means only 12 seconds to go.

edited as my maths stinks

NickF

Postby NickF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 pm

I started training on my exercise bike. Doing high intensity workouts for short intervals. I can't go out during the week with my bike.

Just to make my training more efficient, does anybody know how can I get in touch with Dr Michele Ferrari? I've heard he's very knowledgeable and that he does wonders for athletes :wink:

NickF

Postby NickF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 pm

I found a pretty interesting video on youtube on what sort of gains can be achieved in training for a total of 10 weeks, four hours per week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvemLgLpO3c

On my exercise bike, I can reach a peak of 370W and drop to about 250W in the first 30 seconds. I managed to stay above 200W for an entire minute. It took me a few tries to discover the secret - not to exceed 200W by much at any time and keep the pace constant from start to finish. Compare that to Dan from the video who achieved 773W over a one minute period in his youth or 538W at 38yo.

NickF

NickF

Postby NickF » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:33 pm

I got a new PR today on that segment. Now my time is 1:08 (faster by 2 seconds compared to my previous PR). That puts me on position 19 of 622. I had three attempts. During the second attempt my shoe lace got caught in the chain and I lost significant time. Compared with my previous attempts, this time I started the race from the other side of the road (waiting for the road to clear before crossing), so I had some initial speed. I also tucked my t-shirt in my shorts. I forgot to maintain an aero position, by grabbing the handle from the lower side.

Today I rode a total of 53 km and when I returned at that segment, I tried again. I've done it in 1:10 and I am pleased with that, because it was after riding over 50 km. It means I can comfortably do the segment in less than 1:10 and I can still improve. I also noticed that I don't feel too tired after this trip. It was at an easy pace of 23 km/h.

The KOM has an advantage of over 2 seconds on the first 100 meters and 3 seconds after 200 meters and a speed difference of up to 10.4 km/h toward the end of the segment. While I can easily understand the speed difference toward the end of the segment, I have no idea how can he start so fast. Maybe he has much higher instantaneous power than me and can accelerate much faster. I also don't know how to ride standing off the saddle, I am very clumsy at it.

NickF

Postby NickF » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 pm

I discovered something that may be obvious for many. On my exercise bike, I can set the difficulty level to a value that is similar with my bike when I go at my highest speed. On this setting, I pedal as fast as I can for one minute and then I keep a record of the distance traveled in each session, with a total of 5 sessions per training day. This will provide a measurable way of checking my progress. The results are not affected by wind, clothes I wear, I can train at any time, irrespective of weather.
For the record, at present using a difficulty level of four bars, I can do 620 meters in one minute. My first target will be at 650 meters.

NickF

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:01 am

NickF wrote:The KOM's time is 57 seconds and my best time so far is 1:10 (from yesterday). The segment has a length of 570 meters. When comparing my race against KOM, I noticed I run out of energy after 200 meters. From there, I start slowing down because I am too tired (while he keeps accelerating). My top speed was 36.4 km/h after 100 meters and it drops to 28 km/h at 400 meters and 26.5 km/h at 500 meters.
I've got a couple of segments like this near me - so close but yet so far :D . I simply lack the leg muscle power of better stronger fitter riders, so I can usually be in the top 1/3 of certain segments but not right at the pointy end.
Luck will play a part. Tailwind as people have mentioned. Compared to baggy clothing and an upright riding position, wearing lycra AND tucking low over the handlebars will see your speed increase by about 3-4kmh based on my own experience, with the same effort (I can pick up 1-2kmh changing from "sitting up" on the hoods to forearms flat on the hoods).

What's the leadup to the start of the section like? If it's safe to do so (nobody behind you) if you're lucky you might time the start of the segment with a car taking off as well, so you might get a short draft behind them as the car pushes the air out of the way for you. Wind resistance is what you're fighting against. Every now and then I get a tow behind a bus on my way home for about 500m and I do a good 10kmh faster than normal :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

NickF

Postby NickF » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:47 pm

Mububban wrote: I've got a couple of segments like this near me - so close but yet so far :D . I simply lack the leg muscle power of better stronger fitter riders, so I can usually be in the top 1/3 of certain segments but not right at the pointy end.
Luck will play a part. Tailwind as people have mentioned. Compared to baggy clothing and an upright riding position, wearing lycra AND tucking low over the handlebars will see your speed increase by about 3-4kmh based on my own experience, with the same effort (I can pick up 1-2kmh changing from "sitting up" on the hoods to forearms flat on the hoods).

What's the leadup to the start of the section like? If it's safe to do so (nobody behind you) if you're lucky you might time the start of the segment with a car taking off as well, so you might get a short draft behind them as the car pushes the air out of the way for you. Wind resistance is what you're fighting against. Every now and then I get a tow behind a bus on my way home for about 500m and I do a good 10kmh faster than normal :D
Hi Mububban, thanks for info. An improvement of about 3-4km/h is quite significant. My top speed I reached on this segment was around 37km/h and in the best races the lowest one was around 28km/h. An improvement of 2km/h would put me on position 6.

The segment is on an alley in a park. The area is quite protected from wind, since there is vegetation on one side. The start of the segment is meters from the entry in the park and everybody has to take a sharp turn on a narrow entry in the park. That limits quite severely the starting speed and there is no way of getting draft from a car or bus. It is quite amazing how much the draft from a bus can improve your speed. Just don't ride too close to that bus!

I found that the next segment has a length of only 310 meters and it is also not very popular. There are almost 794 records and the KOM had an average speed of about 36km/h. My speed is quite low there (25km/h), because on that segment I usually recover after the previous segment. I am on position 97/793 and I know for sure I can improve significantly, perhaps top 25 if I am not too tired. I am tempted to give it a go because I get very tired after about 300 meters, so the length of it is perfect for me. Please do not share this information with anybody, it is confidential!

On my exercise bike I found out I am very consistent between runs. It looks I reached a plateau on the 1 minute exercise, where I couldn't exceed 620 meters for an entire two days! Yesterday I only trained for one minute. I was getting depressed, feeling my hard training from the last two days is leading nowhere, but today I reached of 630m from the first go. I don't really enjoy how tired I get after this one minute of intense exercise, but without this kind of sacrifice and tears, I won't become KOM! I will try another time today.

NickF

NickF

Postby NickF » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:12 pm

I had a few more tries today to improve my time. It was a cold and pretty windy day, so I replaced my T-shirt with a long sleeve cotton jersey. I also filled only half of my water bottle and remembered to ride the bike on the drops. On my first attempt, I lowered my time to 1:02. I wasted the second attempt, because Strava didn't record that I reached both ends of the segment. Then I did some easy riding for another 20 km. During this time, I tried to ride the bike off the saddle and I found it was not as bad as before. Probably the secret was to have the bike in a pretty high gear, so the pedals don't move too easily. On my way back home, I had another go at my segment. I reached an all time best of 1:01. On this attempt I started the one-man-race by having the bike in a pretty high gear and I stood off the saddle for the first 50 meters. I didn't change the gears at all on the entire segment. My top speed was 38.5 km/h (up 1.5 km/h from my previous highest speed).

As much as it hurts to admit, I've been helped by the wind. I checked with some crumbled dry leaves and they fell in the direction of the segment. Anyway, with or without help, I am now in position 4/622 overall, on position 3 by age (45 to 54) and position 1 by weight (65 to 74). I checked my weight without clothes, bike or helmet a few days ago and it was 66.6 kg.

I also worked on improving my position on the short segment (310 m) and I completed it twice in 34 seconds. That also puts me on position 4/793, a significant jump from my previous position 97/793. But this is the first time when I started the segment after resting for a few minutes.

I have to admit this morning I doped myself. Beside my usual Lipton tea and toast with butter and vegemite, I had a soft boiled egg (6 min 30 seconds), and it provided some extra energy when I needed it.

Next week if the weather is good and not windy, I will try to see what's my real time on the segment.

I did a comparison with the KOM on the 570m segment. At the start of the race there are two pointers marked "0 km". On the first pointer I was slower by 15.4km/h. On the second pointer, I was slower by 24.8 km/h! Up to the first 300 meters I was up to one second behind him. I progressively lost speed after 300 meters in the race and ended up -8.4 km/h slower than him at the very end. I need to work to improve my longer term resistance. I think I am doing a good progress, considering the time improvements from week to week.

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:28 pm

Shock Horror Nick, a soft boiled egg AND tail wind LOL.

Yr getting plenty of PR's elsewhere also, keep working on general
fitness, do the K's, enjoy it.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Keep up the effort, even if you don’t get that KOM, you’ll be improving your other aspects of riding.

I gave up on most KOMs a while ago. The only ones I have are a couple of strava art segments no one else has ridden and two that I smashed out with a very stiff tailwind (50km/h). I did have some fun with another local rider on a segment near home. We went leapfrogged each other several times before a local strong rider came in and spoiled the fun by cleaning up all the ‘obscure’ segments around the area. The scoundrel got them all in the one ride after taking a deliberate route to pick them up. .
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

NickF

Postby NickF » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Peter A wrote:Shock Horror Nick, a soft boiled egg AND tail wind LOL.

Yr getting plenty of PR's elsewhere also, keep working on general
fitness, do the K's, enjoy it.
Thanks Peter,
Yeah, I am aware it is unfair to the other competitors...
I find the tiny hills around my area less daunting compared to two months ago.
That's because I learnt how to avoid them :)

NickF