Bike saddle recommendations

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Re: Bike saddle recommendations

Postby BrownBike » Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am
My suggestion is to work your way through the Specialized range of saddles. There's the Romin, Toupe, Phenom and Power. These cover almost all bases in terms of shape and size.

Specialized stores have a scheme where you can swap within a certain period (a week or so) if you aren't happy.
What would be the Specialized saddle best for a more upright position, but also allowing for moving to the back of the saddle? So more of a T-shape than a V-shape? Hard to find saddles in shops right now but there's one near me with pretty much all the Specializeds!

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am

BrownBike wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:07 am
What would be the Specialized saddle best for a more upright position, but also allowing for moving to the back of the saddle? So more of a T-shape than a V-shape? Hard to find saddles in shops right now but there's one near me with pretty much all the Specializeds!

You would need to try them out. Everyone has very specific needs when it comes to saddles.

That said, I use a Specialized Phenom (pictured below) on both my road bikes. It might be kind of what you are suggesting.

https://mk0bikesocietyop74ul.kinstacdn. ... ddle-2.png

It is flatish at the nose and kicks up towards the rear. The Power is very similar except it's much shorter (the nose is essentially cut off).

Specialized market the Phenom as a MTB saddle by the way. Don't let silly marketing dissuade you from what works best for you.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Tue May 11, 2021 11:53 am

Thanks, yes I notice some that would suit me are often marketed as offroad saddles :P

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 am

Ergon have a webpage which maybe handy to help sort out sizes

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/saddle-selector.html

But alas saddle selection is a trial and error chore and has so many variables.
One saddle that fits two people of the same size will change the way it "works" depending on the riders weight, riding position and even the type of seatpost and its length. Sure they can feel okay riding around the block, but you never really know unless you have sat on or in a saddle for a full day or three ride just how good, bad or (whispers) evil it feels.

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:54 pm

I've just bought a Specialized Power Comp and have now tried it on 40km rides on both my hybrid and road bike. The good news is that it has eliminated the numbness that has plagued me for years whenever I rode for more than 45 minutes. While it's ok on the hybrid, it obviously isn't designed for the more upright position.

My problem now is trying to figure out which other Specialized models I should swap it for to try out. The descriptions on the website are utter garbage and no help at all. If they just said "more suited to road bike" or "suited to more upright position for touring or hybrid" etc etc it would be great. Has anyone managed to untangle which is which?

Cheers, Graeme

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:54 pm

I freaked out the local bike shop on Saturday when I turned up shopping for a saddle with one of these:

It's called a Shore Durometer and is used to measure the firmness of soft materials like rubber and foam rubber. There are various Shore scales. The one I used was the "A" scale and cost abut $20 off eBay, although the price does vary markedly between the different scales.

They give an objective indication of how firm a saddle is. I know from trial and error that anything over 35 and I get pressure sores due to my requirement to use anticoagulation after a pulmonary embolism 5 years ago. I was able to eliminate all the recommendations until I finally found something with approximately the right shape and the correct density, which turned out to be made by Giant.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:24 pm

wongaga wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:54 pm
I've just bought a Specialized Power Comp and have now tried it on 40km rides on both my hybrid and road bike. The good news is that it has eliminated the numbness that has plagued me for years whenever I rode for more than 45 minutes. While it's ok on the hybrid, it obviously isn't designed for the more upright position.

My problem now is trying to figure out which other Specialized models I should swap it for to try out. The descriptions on the website are utter garbage and no help at all. If they just said "more suited to road bike" or "suited to more upright position for touring or hybrid" etc etc it would be great. Has anyone managed to untangle which is which?

Cheers, Graeme

Try the Specialized Phenom.

wongaga

Postby wongaga » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:51 pm

wongaga wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:54 pm

Cheers, Graeme
Update: the bloke at Hampton Cycles suggested I try the Bridge range for the hybrid, and to start with the "Sport" version first (for a mere 50 bucks) and then work my way up the price range if I needed to. It's very comfortable so kudos to them for not up-selling me. My overall experience at that shop was very good.