Online Group Training: An Invitation

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Online Group Training: An Invitation

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:24 pm

An Invitation to join “My Big Fat Cycle Challenge” an online Group Training program.

Posted with permission of forum owner. Thanks Christopher!

I’m looking for people who want to get ready for their next Big Fat Cycling Challenge!

For those who don't know me, my name is Alex and I'm a cycling coach and Technical Director of Cyclecoach.com. I've been contributing to these forums for many years and have worked with riders at all levels from the professional elites to those looking for help to get a bit fitter to enjoy their riding more.

We at Cyclecoach.com recognise one to one coaching is not always an accessible option for many of you who'd still like some help, support and guidance to improve your own riding, or perhaps to prepare for a cycling challenge.

To that end we have partnered with Bereda Training, a new Group Training platform for endurance sports. Bereda will support our communication in this new group dynamic. Bereda pulls your training from Strava into a modern messaging app where we can follow each other’s progress throughout training, support each other along the way, and answer the questions that pop up as we go. 

One thing we’ve learned through coaching is that athletes largely struggle with the same issues: time-crunched training, balancing sport and life, and general knowledge and learning.

I firmly believe that Group Training is the path forward, that we can create an environment where we can improve together, and we can make coaching accessible to anyone, anywhere, anytime. 

You get the support and guidance you need, and I get to do what I love.

The idea is to train towards your goal(s) with
- expert guidance
- the support of a community of like minded peers
- an affordable price

If you would love to improve your cycling and prepare for some challenging events but are not really up for investing in a traditional individual coaching, perhaps because it's beyond your budget or you think your goals don't warrant such a dedicated level of support, then at around $10/week this is a great value option.

You can apply to join here:
https://www.beredatraining.com/movement ... -challenge

For this group, I’m thinking of anyone interested in tackling any of the following Australian events:
  • l'Etape Australia (1 Dec 2019 and again in 2020)
  • Alpine Classic (26 Jan 2020)
  • B2B Bathurst Cycling Classic (14-15 Mar 2020)
  • Clare Classic (5 Apr 2020)
  • Mudgee Classic (3 May 2020)
  • Noosa Classic (16 Aug 2020)
  • Amy’s Granfondo (Sep 2020 TBC)
  • Bowral Classic (Oct 2020 TBC)
But we can work on any cycle challenge and I’ll be guided by the group members as to what their next challenges and goals are.

Plans will be suitable for road cyclists of all types, in particular for anyone taking on one of these challenges for the first time, or would like to improve their fitness for their next challenge.

The training will help you push up your threshold power output and increase your fatigue resistance, so important for these big cycle challenges. Now is a great time of the year to start and it will pay huge dividends for 2020. Some features:

- First plan starts Monday 4 November 2019, and more will follow as we progress
- Beginner/Intermediate athletes will have flexibility to add/remove workouts
- 4-5 workouts per week
- 4-8 hours per week (but flexibility to do more)
- I’ll help you decide whether you need to add in more training sessions as the plan goes on, or even whether you need to skip a session or two, answering all the “what should I do if…” questions.
- Access to:
  • Bereda peer to peer group platform
  • Training and fitness tracking linked to your Strava account
  • Training Plans
  • Nutrition info
  • Off-bike training ideas, suggestions and content
  • How-to content
  • Zwift training files and of course
  • Expert Coaching Advice, and support from your peers
Membership is $45/month. Members can opt out and rejoin at any time.

Spots are strictly limited, so if you’re interested, act quickly! We’re limiting the group size to make sure everything runs smoothly and everyone gets the attention they need.

Again, thanks for your support and I hope you’ll join us as we turn a significant page in our business and look towards a future of Group Coaching.
Last edited by Alex Simmons/RST on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Re: Online Group Training: An Invitation

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Sounds like a great idea Alex, I'm contemplating.
Your link at the top of the post is working but none of the others are (for me).
First thing I need to do is to establish a goal, rather than just riding around, as I'm inclined to do. My only goal to date has been 10-12K annually which I've done since 2012 but that's fallen by the wayside this year due to new work commitments and flagging motivation. They have been very slow miles. This might just be the kick I need.

How much thinking time can I have?

BTW. The only power meter I have is on the trainer. None of my "real" bikes have power meters, only Garmins. I prefer outdoors and find indoor cycling a little tedious anything more than about once a week. Can you work around this?

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks, Alex.

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this forum, and would to take part.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:11 pm

The more I think about it the more interested I become.
Ummm.......Ummmm......I'm in.
Sign me up. :D

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 pm

chucknitro wrote: I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this forum...

Me too. If for no other reason than this, and there are plenty of other reasons, I'm happy to support your proposal

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Sorry about link, not sure what happened there. I changed them and here it is again just in case:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Your link at the top of the post is working but none of the others are (for me).
Thanks for pointing out problem with links. Hopefully working now.

Tim wrote:
First thing I need to do is to establish a goal, rather than just riding around, as I'm inclined to do. My only goal to date has been 10-12K annually which I've done since 2012 but that's fallen by the wayside this year due to new work commitments and flagging motivation. They have been very slow miles. This might just be the kick I need.

How much thinking time can I have?
It's OK to have a bit of a think :) but even if you don't have a specific goal, it might be worth following along with the training plan and interacting with others in the group who are wanting to get ready for their challenges.
Tim wrote:
BTW. The only power meter I have is on the trainer. None of my "real" bikes have power meters, only Garmins. I prefer outdoors and find indoor cycling a little tedious anything more than about once a week. Can you work around this?
For sure we can work with and without all these things - power meters, heart rate monitors, Strava files, perceived exertion etc. As long as the rides are recorded in your legs, that's what matters the most!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:35 pm

chucknitro wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:43 pm
Thanks, Alex.

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this forum, and would to take part.
That's great! Look forward to helping you.

Join up, there's no up front payment required to do that. Once people are settled in I'll sort that part out later.

This first week is about getting the initial group together. :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 pm
chucknitro wrote: I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this forum...

Me too. If for no other reason than this, and there are plenty of other reasons, I'm happy to support your proposal
Thank you Tim.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Excellent.
No turning back.
Still can't work the links. Something's wrong. I tried via google and still no go.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:37 pm
Excellent.
No turning back.
Still can't work the links. Something's wrong. I tried via google and still no go.
OK, thanks sorry 'bout that. Anyone else having the same issue?

It's just a landing page with info on the plan.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Tim wrote:
I've had some others test the links I've posted and they seem to be working OK.

If you drop a note to Dennis at Bereda here:
info@beredatraining.com

he'll see if we can sort out what the problem might be.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:10 am

No worries. I'll contact him later today.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:19 am

Here's a link to join the group directly, rather than go to the landing page link above:

https://www.beredatraining.com/movement ... LfdSWvgyvY

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 am

Hi Alex.
Not sure if the problem is on my end but Safari (mac) is the only browser that opens any of the above links.
Firefox won't open them on my mac nor will it on Windows Edge or Internet Explorer on a separate prefered laptop.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:15 am

I'm in !!

I'm up for both events at the Clare Classic - Gravel & 100km road course

Currently going through the login/signup process and it's 'syncing with Strava'. Done :)

OK, now I'm in and it's loaded and on the phone homepage, what's the payment method ?

Looking fwd to it and seeing what I can do and where I can get. Have the 60km McLaren Vale GraVale ride this weekend.

For me, the interesting thing will be to try and fit the required training with the routes that I normally take/use (both road and Gravel).

BRING IT ON !!!!

Oh, and will also be learning to swim soon :oops: , as we're getting a 4.5m x 2.3m swim spa installed, so some good cross-functional training coming up :mrgreen:

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am

What browser are you using MichaelB?
Not having much luck accessing the Bereda site.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:26 am

Tim wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am
What browser are you using MichaelB?
Not having much luck accessing the Bereda site.
Explorer didn’t work so used Chrome

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks. All sorted, now on Chrome.
I'll be fit and fast by Christmass. :D

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:34 am

Alex, I like reading your contributions on this forum and appreciate your input. I would absolutely have jumped at a chance to do this sort of training, except...on the weekend I got invited to join a racing team for next year. A men's masters road team. So I will start training with them this week.

I'm as surprised as anyone! I'm 51 years old and just joined my first ever bike team :shock: :shock: :shock:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 am
Thanks. All sorted, now on Chrome.
I'll be fit and fast by Christmass. :D
OK great. I'll pass on the comments about Safari and other browsers. I can access it via Safari on my Mac, so that might need a little sleuthing by our technical friends at Bereda.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:15 am
I'm in !!

I'm up for both events at the Clare Classic - Gravel & 100km road course

Currently going through the login/signup process and it's 'syncing with Strava'. Done :)

OK, now I'm in and it's loaded and on the phone homepage, what's the payment method ?

Looking fwd to it and seeing what I can do and where I can get. Have the 60km McLaren Vale GraVale ride this weekend.

For me, the interesting thing will be to try and fit the required training with the routes that I normally take/use (both road and Gravel).

BRING IT ON !!!!

Oh, and will also be learning to swim soon :oops: , as we're getting a 4.5m x 2.3m swim spa installed, so some good cross-functional training coming up :mrgreen:
Excellent! Great to have you on board.

I haven't seen a join request from you though, so looking out for that.

I'll be sorting out payment method in the coming days, and will advise members about that from within the group.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Excellent! Great to have you on board.

I haven't seen a join request from you though, so looking out for that.

I'll be sorting out payment method in the coming days, and will advise members about that from within the group.

Well I've followed the links, but maybe missed one ?

the email I used is tamsXXXXXXX@gmail.com

It will be interesting to be a participant and see how it goes. Looking fwd to it :mrgreen:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:11 pm

RobertL wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:34 am
Alex, I like reading your contributions on this forum and appreciate your input. I would absolutely have jumped at a chance to do this sort of training, except...on the weekend I got invited to join a racing team for next year. A men's masters road team. So I will start training with them this week.

I'm as surprised as anyone! I'm 51 years old and just joined my first ever bike team :shock: :shock: :shock:
Congratulations on making the team! Maybe we could do a special group for your team?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm
Well I've followed the links, but maybe missed one ?

the email I used is tamsXXXXXXX@gmail.com

It will be interesting to be a participant and see how it goes. Looking fwd to it :mrgreen:
OK, thanks, working on it.