Advice on a home trainer

vbplease

Re: Advice on a home trainer

Postby vbplease » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:11 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:50 pm
Slight thread hijack. :roll:

I understand generally how the world of smart trainers works, but I’m currently using a dumb trainer and my own power meter/hrm to try to follow simple workouts, mostly in Sufferfest. I would consider following pre-loaded routes on say Fulgaz as well if I had a smart trainer.

I have the opportunity to acquire a barely used WahooKickr Gen 1 for around $700. Is this a good buy or should i consider something else around that price ? :?

Interested in views....
Thanks. :D
I think the most important thing is to find the setup which keeps you entertained.

I've tried Zwift and found the races to be the best workout possible.. no other workout indoor/outdoor has made me want to throw up.
The training plans are also pretty good..
The issue I had with Zwift races was I had to do a warmup before hand.. I don't have the discipline to do a warm up in zwift.. its just too boring.

Fulgaz on the other hand, I can't get enough of. With apple TV connected to our big TV I'm riding throughout the world in high definition.. its awesome. I can't push myself as hard though.. I just get lazy and enjoy the view.
Fulgaz has training plans which I'm now getting into, and once its on erg mode then I'm back in the hurt locker which is good.

Gen 1 Wahoo Kickr must be getting pretty old now? For only a couple hundred $ more, I'd recommend getting a new JetBlack Volt. I've had no issues with it and its an aussie company.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah, thanks for your comments vbplease.

Decided to pass on the old Wahoo - the Volt does look good, may go down that route if I decide to get a smartie. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am

A further hijack to this thread.

I'm also now looking to invest in a smart trainer. I had decided to be a bit more 'fair weather' this year in my commuting, so sat out a lot of winter. To keep fit, I bought a concept 2 rowerg, thinking it would be more user friendly for the whole family to use. My wife and youngest daughter did try but the novelty wore off pretty quick. You need proper commitment to stay dedicated with a rower. 10mins is a long time in that world. Long story short, now that I'm back on the bike daily with the improved weather the rower is just collecting dust, and due to me being the sole user, I figure I may as well just buy a smart trainer. That translates better to what I do on the bike in the real world too.

So, the big question... which trainer? I should be able to sell the rower for around $1400 so would prefer to keep it under that budget. Obviously it rules out the Wahoo Kickr and the Tacx neo T2. I'm looking at the lower models of these brands, the kickr core, and the tacx flux 2. Are there other brands that I should be also looking at?

Wahoo seem to get a lot of praise for their build (more metal than plastic) and connectivity, working with pretty much every option there is, but Tacx also seem to be ever improving and their latest models are also getting solid reviews.

I just want ease of use, especially for mounting the bike, swapping bikes, sturdiness while in use etc. I have good wifi so want one that offers good userfriendliness with the VR world.

I'm in adelaide, and would prefer buying from a local store, so that kind of limits things also. Just easier for support if things go wrong, to have a local place of purchase.

Thanks for any feedback.
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi mod DA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:52 am

I have a wahoo kickr core and an aluminium framed bike with 105 11s that lives on it.

Got a rubber mat and industrial fan from Bunnings ~<$160
Apple 4k tv from Jbhifi ~ $250
Kickr core from wildfire sports currently $1250.
The kickr core is reliable and easy to use.
Zwift is entertaining enough and has various routes, workouts and training sessions.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:52 am
I have a wahoo kickr core and an aluminium framed bike with 105 11s that lives on it.
<image snipped>
Got a rubber mat and industrial fan from Bunnings ~<$160
Apple 4k tv from Jbhifi ~ $250
Kickr core from wildfire sports currently $1250.
The kickr core is reliable and easy to use.
Zwift is entertaining enough and has various routes, workouts and training sessions.
A very similar setup to mine, less the TV. I bought the Wahoo smart fan. The industrial pedestal fan I bought for use with my old Kurt Kinetic is way too powerful, and creates havoc with anything loose lying around in the garage.

I've just bought a rocker plate from Sydney Bespoke Rocker plates that has fore/aft as well as left/right movement. Will let you know how that goes, but I expect a lot more of a core workout from my trainer sessions, which can only be helpful for the MTB.

That's a very good price for the TV. What's the screen size?

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am

99 bikes have the core for the same price, $1250.

I have an old tv around but may be too old to run zwift etc. I do have a few laptop around though. Just need a stand of some sort to sit in front of the bike.

The flux 2 is $1150 from 99 bikes. I don't think it comes with a riser block for the front wheel. Actually not sure if core does either.

Read some good reviews of elite trainers too and the latest saris??

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:24 am

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

That's a very good price for the TV. What's the screen size?
Sorry that wasn't the price for the tv.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/appl ... -32gb-2021
It is a streaming device to run zwift and is plugged onto the tv via HDMI cable.
Means no computer required
The zwift app is loaded onto it via the app store and I use my phone as a wifi hotspot.
No other wifi at the location.
That is the work accommodation.
TV is about 50"

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:27 am

Prydey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am

I have an old tv around but may be too old to run zwift etc. I do have a few laptop around though. Just need a stand of some sort to sit in front of the bike.

The flux 2 is $1150 from 99 bikes. I don't think it comes with a riser block for the front wheel. Actually not sure if core does either.

Core doesn't either.
It is wheel off.
I have a lump of covered chipboard about 20mm thick under the front wheel.
Slightly nose up like that.
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:28 am

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am

I've just bought a rocker plate from Sydney Bespoke Rocker plates that has fore/aft as well as left/right movement. Will let you know how that goes, but I expect a lot more of a core workout from my trainer sessions, which can only be helpful for the MTB.

Interested to hear how the rocker plate goes ;) :)

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:27 am
Prydey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 am

Core doesn't either.
It is wheel off.
I have a lump of covered chipboard about 20mm thick under the front wheel.
Slightly nose up like that.
I didn't realise the direct drive ones don't necessarily need one. That's good to know. Plus it would be pretty simple to make something myself like you have done.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Prydey wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:44 am

I didn't realise the direct drive ones don't necessarily need one. That's good to know. Plus it would be pretty simple to make something myself like you have done.
It was very simple here.
Someone who used to stay here and is long gone, left a cat scratching post and some stale cat food in the laundry cupboard.
That is the top of the cat scratching post.
:mrgreen:

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:53 pm

I have a Kickr Core as well and am very happy with it, mor so since January when I added a half rocker plate from the same vendor as trailgumby.

I don't use Zwift, so I don't need a dedicated laptop or computer for my training - I use Rouvy and Fulgaz, which I can run from my Android phone (which has Ant+) and cast it via a $50 Chomecast to a 15 year old TV that was previously gathering dust in the garage.

I picked up an aluminium frame bike on Facebook for $500, and it lives on the trainer full time.

For $220 the rocker plate is a great value add on to make stationary training more realistic and less of a slog

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:53 pm
I have a Kickr Core as well and am very happy with it, mor so since January when I added a half rocker plate from the same vendor as trailgumby.

For $220 the rocker plate is a great value add on to make stationary training more realistic and less of a slog
Thought it looked familiar :D

Prydey

Postby Prydey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:54 am

Bought a 2nd hand Tacx flux 2 today. Near new, only used a few times.