Route - Bayside to the Alfred

CaroW

Route - Bayside to the Alfred

Postby CaroW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi, I'm new to commuter cycling thanks to COVID-19 and wanting to avoid public transport.
I was browsing the forum to see if anyone had a solution/alternative they used to get through St. Kilda Junction as I was almost taken out by a twin cab in the same spot only a few days after this tragic accident.
I had wrongly assumed that vehicle traffic at commute times would be accustomed to cyclists.
I would be greatful if anyone has a solution for the Junction, now more than ever after learning about this.
I'm travelling from Bayside to the Alfred.
Thanks!

ironhanglider

Re: 2020 Cycling Fatalities

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

CaroW wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:28 pm
Hi, I'm new to commuter cycling thanks to COVID-19 and wanting to avoid public transport.
I was browsing the forum to see if anyone had a solution/alternative they used to get through St. Kilda Junction as I was almost taken out by a twin cab in the same spot only a few days after this tragic accident.
I had wrongly assumed that vehicle traffic at commute times would be accustomed to cyclists.
I would be greatful if anyone has a solution for the Junction, now more than ever after learning about this.
Thanks!
Hi CaroW, welcome to the forum.

I suspect that like many new commuters you have planned your route like you would for a car journey. The back roads are usually a more pleasant way to travel.

I've not ridden that area much in peak times recently, but have some ideas about Windsor/Prahran.

I'd suggest looking to cross Dandenong Rd by using the Upton Rd bridge, then Raleigh, George, (Chapel), Donald/Alfred, to Greville St to get to the Punt Road entrance or straight up to Commercial Rd.

To get to that point I'm a bit more vague, the lower part of Chapel St is ok and Crimea St is a good link between Alma Rd and Wellington St.

Check it out on Google Maps in bicycle mode, but be aware that it doesn't always show the best routes and that the satellite and street view pictures can also show paths etc that are not shown in map view.

Cheers,

Cameron

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi CaroW. I can't help with your question (I'm from Brisbane) but there is a whole commuting section of the forum over at: viewforum.php?f=41

They are always discussing detailed commuting route questions like yours, so there may already be an answer somewhere there.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am

CaroW wrote:
Thanks!
(I will reply on this thread but it might be good if an admin moved it).

As you can tell from my username I am not from Melbourne but I go there quite a bit.

I am always looking for ways to maximise my use of bike lanes and off road paths, even if it costs time (but gains exercise!). Looking at Google maps, I wonder if this route is reasonable: follow the main coastal road (there is a bicycle lane), then right at Fitzroy St (which has a separated bike path), then turn left and go through various bike tracks through Albert Park. This should be able to take you at least as far north as Beatrice St (south end of Albert Park golf course). Then you are quite close and have got past that horrible interchange.

p.s. Since you are new, there are various tips. My #1 is plan your route, but my #2 is avoid the "door zone", i.e. a bicycle lane where you can get get hit if someone opens a car door. Try to use bicycle lanes where there are not parked cars (or any cars) on your left, or there is a sizeable gap to them.

find_bruce

Re: Route - Bayside to the Alfred

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm

CaroW wrote:
Thanks!
[Mod Says] I have moved your post to the commuting forum where I think you will get a better response & quoted your post so you will get a notification about where it has gone.[/Mod]

Welcome outside. Whatever you are doing at the Alfred, your efforts are most appreciated & we all want you to get there and home safely.

Melbournians, here is your time to shine - any improvements on the route suggested by AdelaidePeter - I thing this google map is sort of what he was thinking
Anything you can do, I can do slower

AdelaidePeter

Re: Route - Bayside to the Alfred

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 pm
CaroW wrote:
[Mod Says] I have moved your post to the commuting forum where I think you will get a better response & quoted your post so you will get a notification about where it has gone.[/Mod]

Welcome outside. Whatever you are doing at the Alfred, your efforts are most appreciated & we all want you to get there and home safely.

Melbournians, here is your time to shine - any improvements on the route suggested by AdelaidePeter - I thing this google map is sort of what he was thinking
Thanks... that is almost exactly what I was thinking. Except I didn't realise "Bayside" was a suburb, I just thought they meant near the bay. So the initial stage west to the waterfront might be wasteful. But if at least you can work to Fitzroy Street and Albert Park, it looks like you can bypass a lot of nastiness.