99 Bikes opening another Canberra shop

Ross

99 Bikes opening another Canberra shop

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 pm

Wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in ACT thread.

They already have a shop in Phillip and another in Mitchell and are advertising for staff for another Canberra shop at a yet to be disclosed location. Interesting move move considering Flight Centre is the parent company and are closing around 40% of Australian stores (actual number varies , depending on where you read it - FC say 250 on their website and The Gladstone Observer claims 428), effecting around 6000 staff, FC are reporting that have secured $900 million in additional funding.

I realise the travel industry is totally different to the bicycle industry but I would of thought FC would rather hold onto their money rather than spend it starting up another bike shop in a city arguably already saturated with bike shops. I guess this would only be small change for them though.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in a job at 99 Bikes as a Sales Consultant & Mechanic here's the link https://www.seek.com.au/job/41244074
There are a few other jobs going in various other stores around Australia, click on "More jobs from this company" for more details

Disclaimer: I have no connection to 99 Bikes, just saw the ad on Seek as I was browsing looking for a job myself (I am no bike mechanic so won't be applying for this)

10speedsemiracer

Re: 99 Bikes opening another Canberra shop

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Might be worthwhile considering why 99Bikes seem to always be recruiting staff....

(Related to the Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices ? Surely not ?)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:41 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm
Might be worthwhile considering why 99Bikes seem to always be recruiting staff....

(Related to the Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices ? Surely not ?)
As I mentioned this is a new store so obviously they need new staff, not a matter of previous staff leaving.

Not sure where you got the " Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices" from? If you look at the profiles of pretty much any employer on Seek (or any other recruitment website) I'm sure you will find a lot of negative reviews, mostly by ex-employees. It seems to be human nature to give somebody or something negative feedback, especially in these days of social media. I'm sure a lot of employers would have a lot of negative feedback about ex-employees too.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:33 pm

Ross wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:41 pm
" Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices"
Ah, the daily press. E.g. ABC news 23 Aug 2018, widely re-reported.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Ross wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:20 pm

Not sure where you got the " Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices" from?
Based on direct indications from an employee (current) who describes their workplace culture and practices, but is unable to leave in the current retail economic climate.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 am

99 Bikes are currently looking for a Sales Consultant & Mechanic in Canberra
Advert on Seek if anyone is interested.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Ross wrote:
Not sure where you got the " Flight Centre toxic management and cultural practices" from? If you look at the profiles of pretty much any employer on Seek (or any other recruitment website) I'm sure you will find a lot of negative reviews, mostly by ex-employees. It seems to be human nature to give somebody or something negative feedback, especially in these days of social media. I'm sure a lot of employers would have a lot of negative feedback about ex-employees too.
FC culture and management practices are well-known and widely reported. Having worked there (as a consultant, not an employee) I was able to observe them for myself. I was there during the infamous dwarf throwing incident where the victim ended up In hospital with head injuries.

Why they would open another bike shops seems obvious enough - bikes are selling like hot cakes, travel not at all.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:55 pm

RonK wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Why they would open another bike shops seems obvious enough - bikes are selling like hot cakes, travel not at all.
Whether the bike sales is a Corona virus fad because it was one of the few activities people in lockdown can do or will continue is another matter. Vehicle traffic here in Canberra seems to be back at at least pre-Corona levels, if not worse, so that would be discouraging for a lot of new (and experienced) cyclists. No popup bike lanes in Canberra that I've seen or heard of but the govt is making quite a few new shared paths and fixing up missing links or extending others, so that might encourage new riders.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:13 pm

During the covid lock down every bike shop that I new of was flat out. most were selling lower end stuff so you would think new cyclists. Not seeing many out now although my rides are early (still dark) and temps around zero... even the lake circuit has little traffic that I can see
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:15 pm

was out on the Sydney Olympic Park path heading for Rhodes on Sunday and it was Hay St[1] at rush hour! Mostly walkers but quite a few bicycles as well. Family groups and couples.

Alas a lot of the bike riders were a bit rubbish at sharing the path... getting too close to walkers at speed or else riding two abreast and taking up both lanes, not hearing bells or calls to pass. And often getting flustered and wobbly when moving back into their lane.

I've got very good at practically trackstanding the recumbent waiting for room to pass Really Slow Walkers or waiting for the odd kid to wobble back to daddy.

[1] I left Perth a long time ago but verbal habits die hard. Substitute CBD traffic jam location of your choice.

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 am

zebee wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:15 pm
was out on the Sydney Olympic Park path heading for Rhodes on Sunday and it was Hay St[1] at rush hour! Mostly walkers but quite a few bicycles as well. Family groups and couples.

Alas a lot of the bike riders were a bit rubbish at sharing the path... getting too close to walkers at speed or else riding two abreast and taking up both lanes, not hearing bells or calls to pass. And often getting flustered and wobbly when moving back into their lane.

I've got very good at practically trackstanding the recumbent waiting for room to pass Really Slow Walkers or waiting for the odd kid to wobble back to daddy.

[1] I left Perth a long time ago but verbal habits die hard. Substitute CBD traffic jam location of your choice.
It is always busy through there, I try and avoid the area unless I am in very serious cruise mode

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:40 pm

2 new Perth stores have opened in the last couple of months
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:13 pm

On the topic of 99 bikes, the Lidcombe one is gone and so has North Parramatta. So my area of Sydney is relatively empty of bike shops except for Park Bikes.

Saddest of all was earlier this year when Velocipede closed in unhappy circumstances. :(

JPB

Postby JPB » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:13 pm
On the topic of 99 bikes, the Lidcombe one is gone and so has North Parramatta. So my area of Sydney is relatively empty of bike shops except for Park Bikes.

Saddest of all was earlier this year when Velocipede closed in unhappy circumstances. :(
Velocipede moved up to Castle Hill or are they gone from there too?
99 bikes at Castle Hill are still there.
(there is that other bike shop in Parramatta)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:54 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:42 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Velocipede moved up to Castle Hill or are they gone from there too?
99 bikes at Castle Hill are still there.
(there is that other bike shop in Parramatta)
Velocipede closed at Castle Hill too. Permanently.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:12 am

g-boaf wrote:
Blackman are still on Victoria Rd at Parrmatta - they moved from their previous location during the light rail construction period.